5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck Weight

cipherbreak

Reaction score
Weighted my truck today. 6140 lbs with only myself onboard and 15 gallons of gas in the tank. More than I expected.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice, I want to weigh mine with my usual stuff in it one of these days. Does your doorjamb sticker say that you have 960 lbs of payload capacity?

barakutha

Reaction score
Is this the payload sticker?
139cea597ed2f10027b2be77af404de7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Weighted my truck today. 6140 lbs with only myself onboard and 15 gallons of gas in the tank. More than I expected.
Yep, our Limiteds with a crew cab and maybe 4x are heavy. That pano sunroof and all those other optional goodies do add up. Thats why payload of a Ltd is low compared to say a 2x Tradesman... RAM has had low payloads for years compared to, say Ford. Yet even the F150 really cannot carry an 8’ hard sided camper without the almost never found “payload package”.
I had to give up getting a truck camper that was hard sided (for my previous F150 and especially this Ltd) as almost no configuration of an acceptable (crew cab 4x) pickup would work, payload-wise. To do that anymore basically requires a 2500/250 or higher series, w/o a diesel.

I posted somewhere on a different thread that a nice sized single or multi-slide truck camper can go over 5K wet weight (look at the Lance 172 series, dry weight 4,174#).
Quote from truck camper adventure.com site:
“For example, the 6.7L Ford Powerstroke diesel weighs 1,100 pounds wet compared to their 6.2L V8 gas engine which weighs in nearly half that at 600 pounds. And if you’re considering a four-wheel drive transmission, that’s another 400 pounds. The same applies to other nice-to-have options like steel wheels, a crew-cab, a super hitch and a winch—all add capability, but reduce payload. So choose your options wisely.”
So a diesel and 4x adds roughly 1K weight which comes right off your payload. Not an issue for 1500 series owners but really impacts the 2500 crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread