5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck stopping on its own.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Today I was pulling up to the gas pump in my 2021 Ram Rebel, 4x4, 5.7 etorque, 17,000 miles. Everything that can be turned off with regard to the truck having the ability to hit the brakes on its own, has been turned off. As I slowly rolled the last few feet at maybe 2 MPH to line up with the pump, the truck slammed on the brakes, threw it in park, and applied the emergency brake. The door was shut and locked the entire time, so that has nothing to do with this episode.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Only with the door open. It's horrifying that these trucks have the ability to do that to us. Wonder what would of happened if you were on the highway and it determined you were in the wrong and took over and stopped you dead in your spot?
I wonder was your seat belt on? It does weird stuff when it's not too.
I bet Ram would say working as intended.

St-na

Reaction score
Only with the door open. It's horrifying that these trucks have the ability to do that to us. Wonder what would of happened if you were on the highway and it determined you were in the wrong and took over and stopped you dead in your spot?
It's not possible on highway. Only in low speed, if the track is determined close subject and trying to avoid collision.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not possible on highway. Only in low speed, if the track is determined close subject and trying to avoid collision.
It has slammed the brakes on me a few times at low speed, with the parking sensors.

The 'Full Speed Fwd Collision Warn Plus' has beeped on me but has never applied the brakes.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
only once on the 1st week of ownership as I was coming to a red light with nobody in front of me, nothing since in 2 years of ownership

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because multiple dumb Americans were run over and killed by their own cars. And we have back up cams because people were running over small kids.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The 'Full Speed Fwd Collision Warn Plus' has beeped on me but has never applied the brakes.
It's slammed on the breaks for me on the highway almost causing me to get rear ended in the left lane.
I was able to turn it off as it would also trigger on side roads, truck has no idea wtf it's doing.
Can't turn off the auto park "feature" though.

Because multiple dumb Americans were run over and killed by their own cars. And we have back up cams because people were running over small kids.
Spoken like someone who lives in another country... A backup camera doesn't prevent someone from backing into "small kids". Tell me you hate America without telling me you hate America.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's slammed on the breaks for me on the highway almost causing me to get rear ended in the left lane.
I was able to turn it off as it would also trigger on side roads, truck has no idea wtf it's doing.
Can't turn off the auto park "feature" though.

Spoken like someone who lives in another country... A backup camera doesn't prevent someone from backing into "small kids". Tell me you hate America without telling me you hate America.
What does that even mean? You need some therapy or a hug son? Born in the USA and I'm an active duty veteran. Have a seat.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A backup camera doesn't prevent someone from backing into "small kids". Tell me you hate America without telling me you hate America.
Please explain to us all why backup cameras are required on all new cars? My Google is broken....

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Please explain to us all why backup cameras are required on all new cars? My Google is broken....
I didn't say anything about any mandates.
A camera itself doesn't prevent someone from hitting someone or something.

You think no one in the world with "360 degree cameras" never hit something before?
People that don't pay attention or care will do what they will do and a camera doesn't change that fact.

What does that even mean? You need some therapy or a hug son? Born in the USA and I'm an active duty veteran. Have a seat.
Camera or not people will drive forward or backwards into things. You think things change only because of "dumb Americans", pretty stupid thing to say if you really are in the military, why fight for a country and then disrespect it on the side?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Federal law. Has been since 2015, I think. Not positive of the year.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Federal law. Has been since 2015, I think. Not positive of the year.
I don't see anything from 2015.

This is from October 10th of 2019

Currently, FMVSS No. 111 requires that all passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses, school buses, motorcycles be equipped with one or more rearview mirrors for rear visibility.

I am unable to find any official\government website or document saying otherwise.
It makes sense for manufactures to just throw the backup cameras in so if a law ever did pass they did not need to redesign lower level trims.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about any mandates.
A camera itself doesn't prevent someone from hitting someone or something.

You think no one in the world with "360 degree cameras" never hit something before?
People that don't pay attention or care will do what they will do and a camera doesn't change that fact.

Camera or not people will drive forward or backwards into things. You think things change only because of "dumb Americans", pretty stupid thing to say if you really are in the military, why fight for a country and then disrespect it on the side?

You are right..... stupid people do stupid stuff.

Stupid Americans are the reason many things are mandated. Stupid people do stupid things then are allowed to sue for being stupid. Cameras definitely help save people... there is no denying that.

Cameras have been mandated by the federal government since 2018.

‘‘Cameron Gulbransen Kids Transportation Safety Act of 2007’’

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Cameras have been mandated by the federal government since 2018.

‘‘Cameron Gulbransen Kids Transportation Safety Act of 2007’’
From what I can tell is 2019 model year (2018) but I can't find the actual document\bill\law.
I also saw that it claimed to be active in 2014 but kept getting pushed back.

That's a sad story that no one was watching a 2 year old and allowed him to out outside at 9:30pm at night.
Not to downplay the tragedy but I wonder if a backup camera would even see a 2 year old, who I assume was crawling and not standing, trying to place the blame on someone else instead of themselves.

St-na

Reaction score
From what I can tell is 2019 model year (2018) but I can't find the actual document\bill\law.
I also saw that it claimed to be active in 2014 but kept getting pushed back.

That's a sad story that no one was watching a 2 year old and allowed him to out outside at 9:30pm at night.
Not to downplay the tragedy but I wonder if a backup camera would even see a 2 year old, who I assume was crawling and not standing, trying to place the blame on someone else instead of themselves.
That's the reason why "Park sensing braking system" was developed. We are back to the subject of this thread. Human errors are very common, people do mistakes. Sometimes they simply can't see. I am very happy to have all these safety features on my truck, that's was the main reason to switch from 4th gen RaM. I never disabled any of these functions.

Users who are viewing this thread