5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck started on its Own.

snj1013

Reaction score
My son just called me and told me my truck was making noises in the garage. He went out to the garage and found the doors closed and locked, and the truck was running in the closed garage. I had him open the garage door as I was only 5 minutes away and not touch anything. Sure enough, when I got home, the truck was running, lights were on, remote start was activated. My truck doesn't have the app remote start option, just the remote start keyfob option. Both keyfobs were at home, but seem to be working properly. Obviously this is a huge safety problem and this vehicle won't be in the garage until Ram gets this thing fixed. Has anyone heard of a similar problem?

19 North

Reaction score
It’s possible for thieves to clone the fob. Not saying that’s what happened.

Darkrt

Reaction score
My 2015 Challenger SRT did that right after I bought it. I isolated the key fobs and it still did it on two separate occasions. After that it never did it again. I never figured that one out. Weird.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I would suspect someone cloned one of your key fobs and was testing it, but they couldn't steal the truck because it was locked in the garage. Parking it outside just made it easy. Do you have something like The Club you could put on the wheel?

redneck

Reaction score
my friends navigator just got stole they cloned her key while she was locking it in walmart parking lot they were in it & pulling away just as she walked thru the front door

snj1013

Reaction score
I've only left the vehicle with the dealership for service. I'm not saying that this couldn't happen, but the vehicle is in a closed garage when this occurred. I would think a thief would be looking for the vehicle before attempting the start. Also, why would the thief use the Remote Start feature, rather than simply unlocking the vehicle, starting the vehicle and driving off. I'm not buying the keyfob clone idea at this point.

19 North

Reaction score
They could have been walking around the neighborhood searching for a signal and picked up your fob, but didn’t know which vehicle it was so they hit the remote start to locate it.
I see you have a 19. Have you had any of the rear window leaks? Maybe a moisture or corrosion issue.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My son just called me and told me my truck was making noises in the garage. He went out to the garage and found the doors closed and locked, and the truck was running in the closed garage. I had him open the garage door as I was only 5 minutes away and not touch anything. Sure enough, when I got home, the truck was running, lights were on, remote start was activated. My truck doesn't have the app remote start option, just the remote start keyfob option. Both keyfobs were at home, but seem to be working properly. Obviously this is a huge safety problem and this vehicle won't be in the garage until Ram gets this thing fixed. Has anyone heard of a similar problem?
Hello @snj1013,

Thank you for making our team aware of this! Definitely sounds frustrating. If you would like additional assistance in tandem with a dealer appointment, please let our team know. Send us a private message with your VIN so we can take a look!

Hannah
Ram Cares

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my friends navigator just got stole they cloned her key while she was locking it in walmart parking lot they were in it & pulling away just as she walked thru the front door

That is why I never use the Key Fob to Lock the Vehicle. I don't do it on my 2008 Big Horn either.

Malodave

Portercycling250

Reaction score
This just happened to me yesterday.. happen to walk outside my complex with dog by my truck on road and it’s running. My wife joined me after locking door. I just figured it was by accident when she locked the door to home. Door is at least 50 meters away. I’ll watch again to see if it ever happens again. For now I chalk it up to accidental start.

snj1013

Reaction score
Portercycling250, was your car locked and did you notice if the "Remote Start Activated" or whatever it says on the dash?

Portercycling250

Reaction score
Portercycling250, was your car locked and did you notice if the "Remote Start Activated" or whatever it says on the dash?
Sorry I did not look inside to see anything and it stopped running when we were beside it ... again we just assumed we accidentally
pushed the remote start

oldtoolman

Reaction score
So, it's 3:30 AM, about a half hour ago I was woke up by our 2019 1500 Limited etorque starting by itself. No one around. Searched the web and found this thread. Only had the pickup 1 day short of a month. Anything other info out there. This one is totally loaded, can't think of one option it doesn't have. Just turned 50k. The horn didn't honk. I looked out, grabbed a 9mm and went to go outside to see WTH, by that time, it shut off. When I first was woke to the sound of the engine, I jumped out of bed, looked out the window. The tail lights were on and so was the pickup. Going to be tough to go back to sleep!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So, it's 3:30 AM, about a half hour ago I was woke up by our 2019 1500 Limited etorque starting by itself. No one around. Searched the web and found this thread. Only had the pickup 1 day short of a month. Anything other info out there. This one is totally loaded, can't think of one option it doesn't have. Just turned 50k. The horn didn't honk. I looked out, grabbed a 9mm and went to go outside to see WTH, by that time, it shut off. When I first was woke to the sound of the engine, I jumped out of bed, looked out the window. The tail lights were on and so was the pickup. Going to be tough to go back to sleep!
It was remote started with the app by the pervious owner.
I may or may not of this this a few times when I sold my Silverado.
I also know where the person lives who bought my Silverado as Carmax never told them how to remove ownership of the vehicle and no one communicates with the manufacturer when a car/truck is sold so it was tracking them live with gps.

Or someone is staging your truck to steel it because there are like 0 safeguards on our trucks to prevent kiddies from stealing them using a tablet.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
It was remote started with the app by the pervious owner.
I may or may not of this this a few times when I sold my Silverado.
I also know where the person lives who bought my Silverado as Carmax never told them how to remove ownership of the vehicle and no one communicates with the manufacturer when a car/truck is sold so it was tracking them live with gps.

Or someone is staging your truck to steel it because there are like 0 safeguards on our trucks to prevent kiddies from stealing them using a tablet.

I'd agree with this statement that the previous owner may still have access. When I sold my F150 to Carvana, they made no attempt at checking to make sure I removed the Ford Pass app from my phone at the time of sale (it was in the fine print that I was responsible for doing so however). I got busy and forgot to do it until I started getting alerts from warning lights that were popping up with the new owner. I too could see where it was.

When I bought my Ram, I couldn't set up the Ram App because my vin was still linked to the previous owner's account. I had to call Ram and provide a bill of sale and ID proving I was the owner of the truck for them to remove it from the previous owner's account. I would do this if you haven't already and see if the ghost remote starts go away.

oldtoolman

Reaction score
Truly appreciate the info and I will see if I can set up the Ram App. I'm also one of those "lucky ones" who's 2004 Cummins Dodge (in '04) dropped into reverse because of a factory faulty detent holding the shifter in Park. Doesn't always have to be electrical to cause mayhem. I came out just in time to watch my pickup take off in reverse , travel a couple hundred yards and back into the front of a dump truck. Always been happy I hadn't been parked at a grade school or somewhere that could of injured someone. Felt like a moron trying to figure out what had happened. A quick web check and......WOW, it was a known issue. The fix was the horn would honk if not fully detented into Park!!

Users who are viewing this thread