5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck refuses to start

Remixznflow

Reaction score
So I'm almost sure this has been an issue on the boards and if that is the case please go ahead and remove this thread.

Last week (10-1) my truck refused to start. I walked out to my garage... got in the truck and... nothing. Dead. I jumped it and it started up but I had a check engine light on so I figured I would take it over to my dealership where I purchased it and where I had my warranty set up. When they tried to start the truck to take it back they discovered the same issue I had. They spent the day testing everything from the alternator to the battery to the wired connections. They said they couldn't duplicate or figure out what was wrong with it and after a jump they sent me back home. The young man that I was working with told me that if I had the issue in the morning then I needed to bring it back. The next day it happened again. Its been at the dealership since... I'm beginning to worry as I haven't heard back at all. Is this happening to anyone else? I've had my issue escalated (thank you RamCares) but i'm beginning to think maybe I need to take further actions... What would you all suggest?

ddharris

Reaction score
Give them time to figure it out? Maybe suggest they change the battery as a start.

Firebird

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my EcoDiesel, they replaced the battery and no more issues

Remixznflow

Reaction score
Give them time to figure it out? Maybe suggest they change the battery as a start.

Yes they tested the battery.. said it was fine. Maybe I'm worrying to early but for them to go radio silent has me on edge.

DakotaRam

Reaction score
It’s happened to my limited twice since new. Once in January at work and July at home after sitting for a week while on vacation. Haven’t bother to bring it in find out what’s happening.

Last edited:

BMANN06

Reaction score
After jumping it, put an DC Ammeter (clamp on would be easiest) on either positive or negative cable at battery and get a reading of current draw while running. Then shut the truck off. Open door and close it to make sure all accessories are off. Then do the same reading with it off. Post results of the test. Likely something is not turning off (bad relay not opening etc after truck shuts off) or battery has some bad cells. Just FYI i've heard there are 2 batteries in the new trucks (one may be behind bench seats in back of cab, you would have to perform this test on this battery as well). Good luck and let us know. I'm kinda surprised your tech at dealer didn't do this test.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A number of years ago, I had something similar happen with my new Cadillac Escalade. The Cadillac dealer would check things out but couldn't find the problem. After numerous times that it was dead overnight, the dealer finally parked another Escalade next to mine and the technician went through each vehicle comparing electrical components. He eventually found that the problem was in the module for the memory seat. Once the module was replaced, I never had the problem again.

Remixznflow

Reaction score
I wanted to provide an update:

It has been 12 days since my truck was taken in to the dealership. I called for an update on Friday. So far the dealership has no idea what is wrong with the truck. The engineers they claimed to have called dont seem to have an answer either. The claim is that they've run every test that they could possibly run and the issue with starting continues to present itself. I guess I'm in a holding pattern. I have begun to look into my lemon laws for my state and I have also reached out to a lawyer. Hopefully this irons itself out but I need to prepare or at least consider the worst.

Rick J

Reaction score
Just FYI i've heard there are 2 batteries in the new trucks (one may be behind bench seats in back of cab, you would have to perform this test on this battery as well).
The second battery is a 48V Lithium battery and only on etorque models. I don't think the OP has etorque.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I would swap the battery and see if it still causes it. I've seen battery "test" fine, but once you replace them - no more issues.

Remixznflow

Reaction score
I would swap the battery and see if it still causes it. I've seen battery "test" fine, but once you replace them - no more issues.

They have removed the original battery and then installed a new battery to see if that was the issue. Its not the issue...

Users who are viewing this thread