5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck cap keyless entry tie in

WWRAM1500

Reaction score
I have a 2021 1500 eco diesel with the off road package. I am currently getting a truck cap that has the keyless entry on the cap. The truck cap dealer is having a hard time figuring out how to tie in the lock/unlock feature to the tailgate lock/unlock. They have had the truck a day and a half and have tried everything that they manufacturer has said and they still can't get it to work. The instructions they have is only for a 2020 and apparently 2021 is different. Does anyone have any experience in this?

sandman98

Reaction score
I asked the same question about a month ago. Use the search engine to find my thread titled

"Tailgate Wiring Lock/Unlock--Need some help".​

Very useful response from Jimmy07--I believe post #5 will set you straight. There are NO lock/unlock wires at the tailgate. You need to run two wires up to the cab, and get to the rear door locking wires. I tapped into the driver rear door sill and grabbed the two wires at the B pillar. Tap into the Green/Dark Green for "LOCK" and the Violet/Green for "UNLOCK."

Again, find my earlier post (sorry, I couldn't figure out how to link it here). Jimmy07 included the vehicle wiring overview diagram, as well as the specific wires in that particular harness. Took me about an hour to do mine--and that's with running the speaker wire from cab to taillight assembly and up into the cap.

Techna

Reaction score
My plan was to tap into the tailgate release actuator power lead and use that to activate a relay that would then power the cap’s lock actuator. I was going to set it up to actually pop the latches and raise the rear glass anytime the tailgate was dropped and didn’t care about raising the glass without lowering the tailgate. I never actually tested my plan because I devised a way to tie the rear glass to the tailgate through purely mechanical means, but still wonder if it’d work.
I will say that having the rear glass/hatch tied to the tailgate operation is glorious. Popping both simultaneously from the fob or the console switch is cool and showy, but not so much what I was after. I just wanted to be able to access or to lock up the back without having to dig a the fob out of my pocket or use a key.

kbraunphoto

Reaction score
in this same boat too; 3rd party Leer cap with the same hardware; can't tell what the previous owner spliced, cut, added, left behind....

CBC

Reaction score
I’m trying to see post number five so that I can see the wiring diagram but it seems it’s not here

drydocked

Reaction score
I’m trying to see post number five so that I can see the wiring diagram but it seems it’s not here
I just did this a couple months ago and downloaded those wiring diagrams for reference so I'll re-post them here. Thanks to the poster on the other thread for providing them. As mentioned above, tie into them at the "B" pillar and not in the door sill, it's too tight to splice into them in the sill.
For the Leer and Century caps they'll connect to the blue and green wires at the cap. A tip from my experience - do a temporary connection at the cap to make sure to make sure they're not reversed before locking the wires into the cap's wiring terminal.

Attachments

• Wire colors for door lock wires to use for topper lock.jpg
    Wire colors for door lock wires to use for topper lock.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Wiring location for wiring topper lock - tying into door locks.jpg
    Wiring location for wiring topper lock - tying into door locks.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread