5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck bed divider with sliding/adjustable organizer - give me your ideas

brdima

Reaction score
I already have a DIY 2x8 divider in the bed. I also added an 'organizer arm' to keep stuff from sliding around. I added hinges so it can fold out of the way. great. works as I wanted.
Next I would like to be able to slide the 'arm' side to side and lock it in any position, so I can put the 'arm' tight against something from moving in the bed.
I need your ideas on how to do this! I imagine cutting a channel into the 2x8 divider, and using some type of big thumb screw to allow it to slide and tighten down (from the back side) - see the attachment. I have no idea what these items are called so it's damn hard to google. I realize there will be commercial products to solve this, but I enjoy the DIY route.

here is my folding arm in action

Attachments

• IMG_8738.PNG
    IMG_8738.PNG
    683.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 12.11.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 12.11.21 PM.png
    186.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I have the Mopar cargo manager and I uninstalled it because it was a pain in the a..

I put things like kayaks and camping gear in the bed and when I did that I had to remove the slider/manager part and store it in the garage.

to me it is a waste

not to mention that u need the rail system first along with with the manager system

STR

Reaction score
I have the the AMP Research BedXtender... had it on other trucks too w/good results:
A22CD945-8EBC-4881-8706-AAE658821C96.png

Ccm12

Reaction score
I already have a DIY 2x8 divider in the bed. I also added an 'organizer arm' to keep stuff from sliding around. I added hinges so it can fold out of the way. great. works as I wanted.
Next I would like to be able to slide the 'arm' side to side and lock it in any position, so I can put the 'arm' tight against something from moving in the bed.
I need your ideas on how to do this! I imagine cutting a channel into the 2x8 divider, and using some type of big thumb screw to allow it to slide and tighten down (from the back side) - see the attachment. I have no idea what these items are called so it's damn hard to google. I realize there will be commercial products to solve this, but I enjoy the DIY route.

here is my folding arm in action
You could use a router to cut a channel that goes through the board. A channel at top and bottom. And then cut the heads off some t bolts and use epoxy to sink those into the end of the slider board then get some large hand tighten t knobs that would tighten it where you side it. You’d lose the folding option with this unless you attached the sliding board to a small square that did the sliding

Mtsabo

Reaction score
Weld up a U shaped bracket to slide over top of the 2x8. One side mount the hinge. Have a bunch of pre drilled holes in the 2x8 that match up to the holes in the U bracket and secure with wire lock pins.

gpbst3

Reaction score
I used a flat L bracket and screwed it to the top of the short piece to make a hook. Over hang i slightly more than the width of the 2x8 and slide it over. Its not he most secure, has some wiggle, but gets the job down.

Kevinch

Reaction score
I like the DYI divider you built - what are the plastic caps on the end made from, & what is the purpose? How tight is the fit between the sides of the bed?

brdima

Reaction score
I like the DYI divider you built - what are the plastic caps on the end made from, & what is the purpose? How tight is the fit between the sides of the bed?
thanks! the caps are plastic and they came from a think picture frame, which was exactly the same size as the 2x6 (1.5" wide maybe?). it makes sliding the entire divider in and out much smoother, and doesn't wear down the wood. i can pull it up with 1 hand, and has never bounced out of it's place.

brdima

Reaction score
I also answered my own question for this thread. using a t-bar and t-screws will give me exactly what I want.
Here is the kit on amazon that I will get

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online