5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck Bed Cargo Divider - Included?

Gertrude

Reaction score
Curious if you have a 2021 with the BUG (Bed Utility Group) and Ram Boxes, if your truck came with the cargo bed divider? When we purchased our truck (that has both of those) last week, we were told that it wasn't included because it wasn't on the sticker. I argued with them and they "threw" one in by discounting the truck and making us pay for the cargo divider, and we have to order the lock cylinder on our own and pay to get it keyed to our truck on our own. I found the link to lookup the equipment sheet via VIN, and sure enough the build sheet for our truck says that it's included. I'm planning to contact the dealership and see if they'll make good on making me pay for it, but would appreciate confirmation from others that yours came with it and it had the lock cylinder and was keyed to your truck?

Other than this hassle we love the truck. I just hate the buying process.

ETA: I have searched on here about this issue and see it's come up before, but it seems unclear if this has changed for the 2021 models. And many of the cargo divider posts were regarding how to get the parts to make it an extender.

bramesh

Reaction score
Curious if you have a 2021 with the BUG (Bed Utility Group) and Ram Boxes, if your truck came with the cargo bed divider? When we purchased our truck (that has both of those) last week, we were told that it wasn't included because it wasn't on the sticker. I argued with them and they "threw" one in by discounting the truck and making us pay for the cargo divider, and we have to order the lock cylinder on our own and pay to get it keyed to our truck on our own. I found the link to lookup the equipment sheet via VIN, and sure enough the build sheet for our truck says that it's included. I'm planning to contact the dealership and see if they'll make good on making me pay for it, but would appreciate confirmation from others that yours came with it and it had the lock cylinder and was keyed to your truck?

Other than this hassle we love the truck. I just hate the buying process.

ETA: I have searched on here about this issue and see it's come up before, but it seems unclear if this has changed for the 2021 models. And many of the cargo divider posts were regarding how to get the parts to make it an extender.
My truck (2021 Ram 1500 Limited with BUG & Rambox) came with the bed divider and has a lock (different from the vehicle entry key, but I believe same as my Rambox). I don't see it listed on the window sticker, but it is mentioned on the build sheet, which I consider the authoritative list of what the factory put in the vehicle. Seems like the dealer is either ignorant or might have played you.

brewdad

Reaction score
You were told a lie---the bed divider is included in bed utility group when ram box is also ordered.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you buy a 5th gen you will not get the bed divider unless you include the BUG. This is something that changed with the 2019 new 1500. If you buy a Classic 1500 you will get the bed divider with the rambox option. For some reason, they separated the bed divider from the rambox option with the 5th gen 1500's. I found this out the hard way.

bcpong

Reaction score
2021 with ram box and bug. Included and keyed to the cars keys

get the dealer to key it too since it seems the one they gave you wasnt

Gertrude

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I suspected it was supposed to be included but was tired of arguing with them last weekend. It was hard to find a truck within 250 miles that had a multifunction tailgate, ramboxes, and bed utility group so pickings were slim. We drove an hour and a half to get this one, and I was pissed when we got there and they back pedaled on the divider being included (I texted the salesman to ask before we drove down). Going back to them to get it keyed really isn't an option, and I've heard a locksmith will be cheaper. 'll be contacting the dealership and give them a chance to make good on it and before I go nuclear writing reviews and complaining to Ram. I just wanted to doublecheck before I contacted them, but the fact that my build sheet says it's supposed to be included seems enough proof to me, window sticker be damned.

In other news, I ordered the lock cylinder online along with the extra pieces needed to make the divider into a bed extender. The extender pieces arrived and worked marvelously, but they sent a random part instead of the lock cylinder, so that's just been a wonderful addition to the saga. 🙄😏

Last edited:

Gertrude

Reaction score
Update: dealership has agreed to reimburse the cost of the cylinder and getting it rekeyed. No answer as to why they kept telling me I was wrong in the first place, but I'll take it as a win.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie with Bed Utility Group didn't come with a bed divider. Build date 5/21

Here's a screenshot of my window sticker ...
Clipboard01.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie with Bed Utility Group didn't come with a bed divider. Build date 5/21

Here's a screenshot of my window sticker ...
View attachment 99107
It should have come with one. Check your build sheet. They don't always list everything on the window sticker, but the build sheet will always list the equipment your truck should come with. You can look your build sheet up here. Just enter your VIN...

ben b

Reaction score
It should have come with one. Check your build sheet. They don't always list everything on the window sticker, but the build sheet will always list the equipment your truck should come with. You can look your build sheet up here. Just enter your VIN...

I concur with mikeru82. I have enclosed a screen shot of my build sheet -- you can see the divider highlighted. My window sticker did not mention it, but it should definitely be there.

On a related note.... at first, I thought the divider wasn't that useful. But through this forum, I found out that by spending around $40, I could turn it into a bed extender. That was extremely handy when I needed to take home a queen size bed frame which was too long for the regular bed. Very cool!

Attachments

• BUG_Divider_Build_Sheet.pdf
    42.5 KB · Views: 30

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys, but I don't see it on my build sheet. I think it's only for the Limited.

Attachments

• My Build Sheet.pdf
    14.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I concur with mikeru82. I have enclosed a screen shot of my build sheet -- you can see the divider highlighted. My window sticker did not mention it, but it should definitely be there.

On a related note.... at first, I thought the divider wasn't that useful. But through this forum, I found out that by spending around $40, I could turn it into a bed extender. That was extremely handy when I needed to take home a queen size bed frame which was too long for the regular bed. Very cool!
What parts are needed to turn it into a bed extender? I have a Limited on order with BUG.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did you get Ram Boxes?

Did you get Ram Boxes? If not, no bed divider.
BNeal is correct. The bed divider only comes with the BUG if you also have the Rambox option. I mentioned that in one of my previous posts but I guess FLiPMaRC missed that.

ben b

Reaction score
What parts are needed to turn it into a bed extender? I have a Limited on order with BUG.
I ordered the ALTBET Box Handle and Grommet Kit Fit for Dodge RAM 1500 2500 3500 Replace 68054996AA 68054997AB from Amazon for $45. This contains the 2 each of the 68054996AA and 68054997AB (4 pieces total) that are needed. Installation time was 10 minutes total. You can get genuine Mopar parts from your dealer, but they were around 2X as much -- as these parts are so simple I was fine with after-market. NOTE: My truck has RAM Boxes; I haven't checked to see if this works on non-RAM Box trucks.

These parts say they aren't to be used on the DT trucks that we have. I have heard that this is because the divider can obscure the tail lights from some angle when used as a bed extender. Or maybe the tail lights are obscured somehow when the tail gate is down? I didn't notice any issue on my truck. Maybe others can comment if they have seen a problem. In any case, using the bed extender seemed much safer than leaving the tail gate down and only relying on tying down my cargo.

Here is a nice posting showing how the parts are used: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/multi-function-tailgate-bed-extender-not.21570/post-311652

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread