5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRSC-trailer reverse steering control- Not impressed.

TAK

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on the TRSC. I wonder if I am missing something. After reading the manual it says that the TRSC will remember up to 5 vehicles. Every time I have used mine, it tells me to re calibrate. When working I do like the feature because it keeps me from over correcting. However when I need it the most to back on and off a car ferry where I have shut my engine off it does not work.

Arth

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on the TRSC. I wonder if I am missing something. After reading the manual it says that the TRSC will remember up to 5 vehicles. Every time I have used mine, it tells me to re calibrate. When working I do like the feature because it keeps me from over correcting. However when I need it the most to back on and off a car ferry where I have shut my engine off it does not work.
As far as remembering the trailer mine works just fine as long as I didn't unhook the trailer after shutting the engine off. The system itself, to me, is a gimmick. It works but is very safe about it. If you aren't confident in your ability to back then this is a great tool.

Otherwise the only reason I have it is because the dealer checked the box.

I haven't looked yet but is there a way to manually save trailers in the radio?

Dadeoo

Reaction score
The Trailer Reverse Steering Control (TRSC) on my 21 Ram, delivered in February DOES NOT WORK. Never has. I've followed the calibration instructions to the letter, with the dealer tech onboard, both driving around the dealer lot and out on suburban streets. We've tried both the automatic calibration and manual calibration methods. The dealer has done the recall for the reverse camera operation that is affecting trucks with the TRSC system. The dealer and I elevated it to RAM Cares two weeks ago. The day after both the dealer and I called Ram Cars I got an e-mail from Ram Cares that an engineer would look into it. Since then..... CRICKETS!!!!

Does anyone else have this problem!!!!??????

Did you get it solved? HOW?

TomaTama

Reaction score
My 2021 RAM1500 keeps asking me to recalibrate randomly and usually at the most inopportune time, like at the boat ramp. Thank goodness I can actually backup myself.

Powerstoke59

Reaction score
My 2021 RAM has the TRSC. It does not remember the calibration for either the blind spot detection or the TRSC. If we pull into a rest stop and turn off the engine, I have to zig zag out of the rest stop to get the blind spot detection to recalibrate. If we pull into a campground and I have to go in to register, the TRSC will not work when we get to the site I need to back into. I even tried not turning off the truck while registering and it forgets the calibration while sitting in park and idling. In Oregon state parks where we have preregistered and can drive directly to the sight upon arrival it works great. I like the feature but it definitely does not remember our travel trailer as advertised. RAM definitely did not do this one right...

bpwj76

Reaction score
My 2021 RAM has the TRSC. It does not remember the calibration for either the blind spot detection or the TRSC. If we pull into a rest stop and turn off the engine, I have to zig zag out of the rest stop to get the blind spot detection to recalibrate. If we pull into a campground and I have to go in to register, the TRSC will not work when we get to the site I need to back into. I even tried not turning off the truck while registering and it forgets the calibration while sitting in park and idling. In Oregon state parks where we have preregistered and can drive directly to the sight upon arrival it works great. I like the feature but it definitely does not remember our travel trailer as advertised. RAM definitely did not do this one right...
I tow a 31ft TT. I don't have TRSC, but my truck's blind spot monitor sometimes gives me "Auto" the whole time or 20ft as the trailer length. I found that after making a couple turns or changing lanes on the highway (using turn signal) it will change to 30ft.

I've actually wondered if zig zagging would force the BSM to "see" the trailer.

Powerstoke59

Reaction score
OK, so I have to make a correction on the Blind Spot Monitoring. I went back and read the owners manual more carefully. Even though my display says "Auto" when pulling out of a rest stop for instance, it is still active and functional, but treats your trailer as being max length (39.5ft) unless/until it sees that your particular trailer is shorter. Our trailer is 30ft so I am good with that. I can tell it is seeing cars back that far even though the little yellow icon in the dash display still says "Auto". I have driven for many miles down the freeway with it displaying as "Auto". By the way, weaving a couple of times exiting the rest stop (if you have room) does work. But now I really don't think that is necessary... looks a little odd too.

I would really appreciate somebody with the Trailer Reverse Steering Control where their truck remembers their trailer to chime in and explain how their unit behaves. I have pulled the same trailer with my truck many, many times now. I don't think I should see the calibration message on my dash screen with the arrows telling me to turn 90 degrees right or left. I do see this even if just allowing the truck to idle for a few minutes. Owners manual says all I should have to do after the 1st calibration is to "drive forward a short distance" no right angle turns mentioned. This is why I think it is not remembering the setup as Ram claims. Thank you.

Dadeoo

Reaction score
The Trailer Reverse Steering Control (TRSC) on my 21 Ram, delivered in February DOES NOT WORK. Never has. I've followed the calibration instructions to the letter, with the dealer tech onboard, both driving around the dealer lot and out on suburban streets. We've tried both the automatic calibration and manual calibration methods. The dealer has done the recall for the reverse camera operation that is affecting trucks with the TRSC system. The dealer and I elevated it to RAM Cares two weeks ago. The day after both the dealer and I called Ram Cars I got an e-mail from Ram Cares that an engineer would look into it. Since then..... CRICKETS!!!!

Does anyone else have this problem!!!!??????

Did you get it solved? HOW?
Just to follow up on my earlier post... Remember I've had this truck since February and yet to see the trailer reverse steering work. In August my dealer re-flashed the software, which didn't work. A few weeks later the dealer replaced the hardware module with new software. That didn't work either. Then last week my dealer, along with the Ram tech, had the truck and my trailer for 4 days. Whatever they did also did not work. I own four trailers. The trailer reverse steering doesn't work with any of them. I also tried a neighbor's boat and trailer. It didn't work. The symptom is that the thing never calibrates. The cause is unknown. I am waiting back from Ram on next steps, but I want this feature to work. It was part of a costly trailer tow package, and I tow aLOT.

Tempest

Reaction score
Any resolution on this? I finally got to take my boat out and was looking forward to using this feature as I’m new to boating, you can imagine the frustration that I had with my 2019 Laramie without the TRSC . After an hour of trying to calibrate it I was able to do so after I dropped the boat into the water and the trailer was empty. It did not say this I the manual but I saw that recommended in a video. The system worked great to retrieve the boat but when I tried to back the trailer into my driveway it went right back into calibration mode… I’m new here but this is my 4th RAM and I’ve begun hating them more and more with every one as a result of the electronics not working. My 2019 was a complete disaster. I drove almost 2 hours to my weekend place to set this thing up only for it not to work once the boat was loaded. Sickened by the whole thing…

Powerstoke59

Reaction score
Saw a post on another sight where somebody had the same issue as Dadeoo where it didn't work at all (may possibly be same poster with diff user name??). That issue apparently got resolved finally by replacing a faulty back up camera.

For me, they replaced the module at the end of last year. Got it home and it would not calibrate. Drove it all over my neighborhood and even took it up to a mall parking lot back corner with tons of maneuver space. No luck. Came home and made an appt with dealership to have them look at it again. Left the trailer connected overnight on the curb and next morning took off to turn around and park it on the side of the house and just for kicks hit the TRSC button after driving straight down our street for about 50 feet and got the message it was ready to go. It worked perfect all through 2022 until a trip in September (remembered our trailer, no arrows to calibrate, just a message to drive forward a ways if the truck just started up). Now it is back to getting the calibration message every time the truck is turned off. I do see in the documentation in the online version of the owners manual where it states

"To store a trailer to memory, calibrate the trailer and then allow the vehicle to be off for a period of time. The next time the vehicle is started, place the vehicle in drive and drive a short distance. The trailer system can then be activated".

That statement about allowing the vehicle to be off for a period of time is not in the documentation that the dealership just handed me yesterday or in my printed owners manual. It is in the pdf version of the 2021 RAM owners manual that I downloaded.

Just curious if anybody with the TRSC knows about this and has committed a calibration to their trucks memory by letting it sit connected with engine off for a period of time. It doesn't say how long or if the trailer needs to remain connected with the truck ignition off. Something worked on mine last December, but I can't remember if I left the trailer plugged into the truck... seems crazy that it would take hours.

Users who are viewing this thread