5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble understanding DRL's with the lame, basic halogens.

LV426

Reaction score
Hello All,

It's bizarre that this truck with all of the fancy things it came with skimped out when it came to the headlights... The weak, yellow halogens are disappointing so I immediately changed them to LED's which worked out great (and no they are not blinding oncoming, etc..) Anyway, I'm having trouble figuring out how to get DRL's with the halogens. I believe in DRL's (especially these days with with everyone's face planted down into their phones while driving) as an extra precaution, especially with an all black truck. I'm unable to get a definitive answer on how to enable them if its an option, I have no settings related to DRL's in the trucks uconnect system. I've read through a bunch of threads but I either missed it or just didn't understand how to achieve this if its possible.

LV426

Reaction score
There should be an option under settings>lighting to enable/disable.
So I was about to reply and say I didn't have that option but I decided to go out and check again anyway and its there... Now, I am 1000% positive, without question that that option was not there when I first got the truck because I was actively looking for it.... WTF???

Attachments

• IMG_20210428_083831.jpg
    IMG_20210428_083831.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 45

TechDaddy3x

Reaction score
So I was about to reply and say I didn't have that option but I decided to go out and check again anyway and its there... Now, I am 1000% positive, without question that that option was not there when I first got the truck because I was actively looking for it.... WTF???
HAHA I know the feeling. Glad it worked out

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
:ROFLMAO: I've been there many times.

LV426

Reaction score
Here's what's crazy, I remember going into these settings and thinking, why the hell is there a setting for lights with wipers but no DRL's setting???... I read on another thread that this was the location (settings>lighting) for the DRL setting, so when it wasn't there I assumed it was because I had the halogens. I mean, I'm honestly stumped as to why it magically appeared now.

1D32319

Reaction score
The weak, yellow halogens are disappointing so I immediately changed them to LED's which worked out great (and no they are not blinding oncoming, etc..)

Did you just change out the bulbs for LED bulbs or the whole assembly? Some headlight assemblies don't react well to the LED swap-poor pattern, etc. Curious as to which bulb you used if you just swapped the bulb.

I'm also a DRL fan and found out how to turn them on, but am worried about the heat from the halogen bulbs. My Tacoma used the turn signals for DRLs and eventually they ended up melting the headlights. That was an expensive pain in the rear to replace and I would prefer not to duplicate it.

I kind of wish Ram used the turn signals for DRLs as they are easy to swap to LED without headlight pattern complications. That and I LOVE Sylvania Silverstar Ultras

LV426

Reaction score
Did you just change out the bulbs for LED bulbs or the whole assembly? Some headlight assemblies don't react well to the LED swap-poor pattern, etc. Curious as to which bulb you used if you just swapped the bulb.

I'm also a DRL fan and found out how to turn them on, but am worried about the heat from the halogen bulbs. My Tacoma used the turn signals for DRLs and eventually they ended up melting the headlights. That was an expensive pain in the rear to replace and I would prefer not to duplicate it.

I kind of wish Ram used the turn signals for DRLs as they are easy to swap to LED without headlight pattern complications. That and I LOVE Sylvania Silverstar Ultras
Just the bulbs, I installed these and they worked out surprisingly well:

SEALIGHT H11/H8/H9 LED Headlight Bulbs / 01HDL1H11XSU2

My plan was to just keep trying different bulbs until I found the right ones but these actually worked out. Beam pattern is fine, no weird dark spots, no flicker or error codes. Much brighter than the yellow stock bulbs. I checked the beam on my garage door after install and they did not even need adjustment, cut off was the same.

I didn't really like they they had a fans but it seems like most of them do and if they crap out, easy to replace. I cant justify the high price of some of the other ones out there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online