5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Triple Bicycle Mount

Sensei

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to mount 3 bicycles in my bed. I can't use my hitch as I'll be pulling a trailer. I've already ordered 3 fork mounts, and intend on mounting those to a 2x6 and setting in the front of the bed. That is the short term solution.

For the long term solution, I would like to install the factory bed rails, then figure out how to get a square tube that would connect to the rails on both sides, then mount the fork mounts to the square tube. For the bicycles to fit, I would need to move the square tube fully forward towards the cab.

My original idea was to get the bed divider and mount to that, but after reviewing info on this forum I found that the divider has its own rails that 1) eliminate the ability to use the bed rails for any other accessories and 2) limit how far forward the divider can be placed.

Any ideas on a solution that could use the factory bed rails, such as a square tube but that mounts between them? Ideally it would be easy to remove when not in use.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There was someone else on here that mounted some pieces of track using rivnuts for some other things. I plan on doing a rail across the cab side of the bed to mount my tri bike like I did with my Titan. Not laying a full carbon bike down in the bed. I priced it out and including buying the rivnut tool it came out to about $100. I'll see if I can find the post and/or parts I was planning on using. It'd look more OEM as well as provide usable bed rail.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Smon

Reaction score
I used unistrut across the top of the bed. Then I bolted a couple "L" brackets to it which mount to a speed nut I leave inside the track system on the truck. The fork mounts also use speed nuts inside the unistrut. Comes out super fast with two bolts and is super solid. I mount mine at the rear for ease of use and loading. No issues at all. You can actually fit 5 bikes if you alternate directions with two mounts.

edited to add: I have used this unit on a few different trucks. Before I had the track system, I used the stake holes in the bed with some large drywall anchors dropped inside.

Sensei

Reaction score
I like the idea of the L track. Is the rivet tool necessary for the front of the bed? There seems to be enough space to slip a ratchet in front of the bed to hold a locknut using the space between bed and cab.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the idea of the L track. Is the rivet tool necessary for the front of the bed? There seems to be enough space to slip a ratchet in front of the bed to hold a locknut using the space between bed and cab.
I haven't looked at it closely, but if you can fit a wrench back there a locknut would be plenty sufficient. It would save me from having to buy the rivnut tool. I still haven't gone through with mounting it. Something about drilling through the bed gives me nightmares. Nissan's track sits much higher on the bed, so I'd probably place mine toward the top like that. It makes my aero bars stick above the top of the cab a tiny bit, but at least I know they won't hit the window.
1593108422260.png

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The biggest downside to this over a trailer hitch rack or a tailgate cover is that I have to completely remove my bed cover. Not a big deal to me as I can just put any non-waterproof gear in the cab or in storage bins in the bed. I've almost lost my bike off a rack on the back of a car, so I'm always nervous with them, and there's no way I'm hanging it off the back of my truck and putting stress on the frame.

Smon

Reaction score
The bars can be an issue with the cab. My old bike barely fit but no way with this new one.
Lax - what kind of bike do you have?

I did a crash replacement theough Felt. These new tri bikes are so aggressive, even the base bars are super low.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got an older Felt DA with a Zipp Vuka aerobar. I wish I had a pic with it mounted on the Titan. The bars were at like an upward angle when it's mounted on the truck.

Smon

Reaction score
That’s a weird coincidence. I had a Titan with a Felt B16 up there. Haha. I ride a 52 so there wasn’t much clearance on the cab.
Swapped now to a Felt IA1. I like it but miss How comfortable the B16 was.

Sensei

Reaction score
Here is what I'm thinking about doing now:

1) Install 3 L-Tracks running along the bed floor, from cab to tailgate. I'll get the 72" and cut to size
2) Install using rivnuts to bed floor. Anything I should be concerned with on doing this? I'll be sure to drill carefully (using stopper) so the bit doesn't extend past 1/4 inch through floor.
3) Mount square tubing to L-Track anchors running from left to right of bed, then mount my fork mounts to the square tubing.

This may be an overkill project to mount just bicycles, but this will create a lot of versatility for the bed. This will also allow me to use the L-Tracks to mount motorcycles chocks without more modifications to bed, along with a multitude of additional tie down points.

RJS

Reaction score
there's no way I'm hanging it off the back of my truck and putting stress on the frame.

If the truck has the OEM class 4 hitch, where's the stress coming from.

Class 4 rating -
Class IV hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a 1000 lbs maximum trailer tongue weight (TW). Class IV hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 14,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a 1400 lbs.

Otherwise any small trailer would be tearing the frame apart. They are designed for this job - Just saying.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I'm not putting stress on my bike frame by laying it over the back of my tailgate. Look at it this way, if I'm crashing on this bike then I'm throwing my body under it to try to save it from the pavement.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is what I'm thinking about doing now:

1) Install 3 L-Tracks running along the bed floor, from cab to tailgate. I'll get the 72" and cut to size
2) Install using rivnuts to bed floor. Anything I should be concerned with on doing this? I'll be sure to drill carefully (using stopper) so the bit doesn't extend past 1/4 inch through floor.
3) Mount square tubing to L-Track anchors running from left to right of bed, then mount my fork mounts to the square tubing.

This may be an overkill project to mount just bicycles, but this will create a lot of versatility for the bed. This will also allow me to use the L-Tracks to mount motorcycles chocks without more modifications to bed, along with a multitude of additional tie down points.
It's overkill for bicycles, but I loved my utilitrack in the Titan. It only had 2 on the floor of the bed though, so maybe just make sure you can space them well. I never had to consider getting pocket stake rings or anything because there were so many tie down options. If you're drilling into the bottom of the bed be sure to check underneath first. Even 1/4" can hit something if you're in the wrong spot.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
I use the ADARAC Aluminum Pro because i carry kayaks, skis and a cargo box and wanted the LOMAX to still open. If you have a soft tonneau you could go with the regular aluminum (which i think looks better) or the M series. You will have to open up all 4 stake pockets to install however. The cross bars have T slots and are 1.5" square.

Rockitman2000

Reaction score
I wanted something portable, cost effective and secure. This is an example I used to build my bike rack. I used 1 1/2 inch PVC for extra support and I use a strap on the bikes as an extra precaution. Works great even at 80 MPH, the bikes don't move and my hitch is free for other uses. ebc9c5b23e2eefff77c7c597e28c5c0a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread