5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trip # WAY TO MANY to the Dealer for repairs.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
First of all, there's a TSB for brake moan as a result of sitting overnight and accumulating a glaze of surface rust? Really? I can't believe they'd actually issue a TSB over that. They'll be like dogs chasing their tails. I don't think I've ever had a vehicle of any brand that DIDN'T have brake moan first thing in the morning, especially in damp weather.

Second, you're going to give up a Ram to go to Toyota? That's like trading chicken pox for cancer. Crankshaft failures, emissions failures, rear ends grenading, frames rusting out from under the truck, worst MPG in the entire segment, worst crash test scores in the entire segment, ugliest truck in the segment, TSBs and recalls pages long, etc. etc. Why would anybody purposefully drive a Toyota?

I will admit I did try a Toyota once. V8 exhaust manifolds were toast by 90k miles and the repair wasn't easy. T-case froze up and stopped working. Chassis looked like swiss cheese after a few winters. It was a nightmare. I went back to domestic brands any will never look back.
Don’t forget the cam tower leaks

Benji80

Reaction score
Yeah this isn't normal. I understand a little noise is normal when damp but my truck sounded like a 4O year school bus.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
I remember the 89 Firebirds and Camaros with the brake groan while reversing , GM never did a recall or TSB for it but it was the backing plates on the rear discs doing it .

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I happen to have a good dealership for service also. Davis in Yulee, FL. 3 for 3 so far.
Also got a nice loaner with no hassle even though I live close ( 6 miles).
We need to have a whole separate thread for good dealer service experiences. Buried in a thread someplace won’t help many others.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
We need to have a whole separate thread for good dealer service experiences. Buried in a thread someplace won’t help many others.
We do...

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First of all, there's a TSB for brake moan as a result of sitting overnight and accumulating a glaze of surface rust? Really? I can't believe they'd actually issue a TSB over that. They'll be like dogs chasing their tails. [deletia]
I've only ever had one vehicle that had brake moan when reversing, and that was a Toyota. I don't think I've ever read of this occurring on 4th gen 1500s.

This problem is not caused by rust or a glazed rotor surface. Rust will be swept and captured by the softer pad material. The smooth surface caused by rotor glazing usually requires increased braking force which would mask the problem affecting early 5th gens.

Anyway, the issue in this case addresses an abnormal condition. This condition originally was because residual pad material was becoming embedded on the rotor surface leaving raised, random amounts on the rotor. This did not cause a problem when the rotor was dry. However, with a slight amount of moisture or very low temperatures (or both), as the rotor turned the residual build up of pad material caused erratic, inconsistent friction allowing the pad to vibrate. It would be similar in effect to rotor hot spots.

The pad material was changed to address this, however it was discovered that it did not solve the brake moan over the long term because the caliper was found to be vibrating causing the same or similar symptom. Hence the Anti-moan kit.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031227 miles.

barr0208

Reaction score
True. This is a first for me too. Not the end of the world as it only lasts for about 2 seconds, but none of my prior vehicles have ever had this (including a 2004 RAM 1500 and a 2006 2500).
but when it makes noise at 4 am when going to work and you wake up the neighbor hood that's not good lol

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
We do...

Saw that later. Maybe it can be a sticky so other clutzes like me don’t miss it...

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
Who cares if it's ugly and gets bad mpg. I need a truck to do truck things and can't get the job done with this POS ram constantly being in the shop
Its in the shop for non mechanical related concerns... thats your doing, not theirs. Im not going to defend Ram because in my opinion, all domestic products are garbage, however My Ram has been pretty perfect for the year ive owned it, and I bought it because it was significantly better than the competition, including the 2017 Tundra I had right before it, and the 2019 Tundra I compared it to before purchasing the Ram. My truck has rattles, I had to fix the noisy rear window, the AC isnt the greatest, but you cant say these are problems just because another truck/car doesn't do the same thing, they just may be issues inherent to the Ram you have to deal with, or as you said, purchase another truck. The new GM trucks are having lifter failures and plenty of other issues as well as cheap interiors, stereos etc, Fords have turbo failures and plenty of their own issues, as well as cheap interiors, Toyota hasn't made a significant change since 2007 when they came out, No one likes Nissan, and that leaves Ram. If you want a nice reliable and quiet vehicle, go buy a Prius or a Camry. You bought a mass produced truck, and youre pissed because it doesn't have the fit and finish of a quality $100,000 European vehicle. Im with you, and agree that Domestic automobiles lack a LOT of things we would all like, especially for the price they are charging these days for trucks.

What im getting at here is youre picking on issues that really aren't mechanical failures, they are just issues that bother you and likely won't be fixed. Focusing on them OCD style where you lose sleep at night isnt going to fix them, its just going to make you more angry. I wish my B pillars didnt rattle and feel like they are about to fall off, I wish they spent $100 in sound deadening material so the doors didnt sound so hollow and the rear rattles with loud music, and plenty of other things that lack compared to my BMWs, but the other 98% of the truck is absolutely stellar, and in my opinion, LIGHT YEARS ahead of the competition in all the parts that matter to me. My $115,000 BMW X5 had squealing brakes when it was cold, and hot, and normal, and the AC sucked as well... BMW told me thats life and thats how the vehicle works (At least they give me a BMW loaner for free though :D ).

I hope you get a resolution to your issues, but id just prepare for a let down and suck it up that youre not ever going to be happy in any vehicle, regardless of who makes it, until you accept that they all have flaws.

Benji80

Reaction score
Its in the shop for non mechanical related concerns... thats your doing, not theirs. Im not going to defend Ram because in my opinion, all domestic products are garbage, however My Ram has been pretty perfect for the year ive owned it, and I bought it because it was significantly better than the competition, including the 2017 Tundra I had right before it, and the 2019 Tundra I compared it to before purchasing the Ram. My truck has rattles, I had to fix the noisy rear window, the AC isnt the greatest, but you cant say these are problems just because another truck/car doesn't do the same thing, they just may be issues inherent to the Ram you have to deal with, or as you said, purchase another truck. The new GM trucks are having lifter failures and plenty of other issues as well as cheap interiors, stereos etc, Fords have turbo failures and plenty of their own issues, as well as cheap interiors, Toyota hasn't made a significant change since 2007 when they came out, No one likes Nissan, and that leaves Ram. If you want a nice reliable and quiet vehicle, go buy a Prius or a Camry. You bought a mass produced truck, and youre pissed because it doesn't have the fit and finish of a quality $100,000 European vehicle. Im with you, and agree that Domestic automobiles lack a LOT of things we would all like, especially for the price they are charging these days for trucks.

What im getting at here is youre picking on issues that really aren't mechanical failures, they are just issues that bother you and likely won't be fixed. Focusing on them OCD style where you lose sleep at night isnt going to fix them, its just going to make you more angry. I wish my B pillars didnt rattle and feel like they are about to fall off, I wish they spent $100 in sound deadening material so the doors didnt sound so hollow and the rear rattles with loud music, and plenty of other things that lack compared to my BMWs, but the other 98% of the truck is absolutely stellar, and in my opinion, LIGHT YEARS ahead of the competition in all the parts that matter to me. My $115,000 BMW X5 had squealing brakes when it was cold, and hot, and normal, and the AC sucked as well... BMW told me thats life and thats how the vehicle works (At least they give me a BMW loaner for free though :D ).

I hope you get a resolution to your issues, but id just prepare for a let down and suck it up that youre not ever going to be happy in any vehicle, regardless of who makes it, until you accept that they all have flaws.

Benji80

Reaction score
You are lucky you just have a few rattles in yours. A lot of people on here are dealing with major issues such as water leaks..I had a leaking truck as well. This is unacceptable for a new vehicle and I'm not going to accept it just as a flaw. Why wouldn't someone get this fixed?

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
You are lucky you just have a few rattles in yours. A lot of people on here are dealing with major issues such as water leaks..I had a leaking truck as well. This is unacceptable for a new vehicle and I'm not going to accept it just as a flaw. Why wouldn't someone get this fixed?
A leak is something that actually requires a repair... that really isn’t comparable to brakes that only squeak for the first 30 seconds of driving, and does so on many other vehicles.

Benji80

Reaction score
A leak is something that actually requires a repair... that really isn’t comparable to brakes that only squeak for the first 30 seconds of driving, and does so on many other vehicles.
This isn't just a little squeak. It's loud enough to wake the whole neighborhood up..they issued a fix for it because it's not normal and there's enough people complaining about it

Users who are viewing this thread