5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tried to use Ram app. Is this a bunch of BS?

Jake1050

Reaction score
Friend dloaded Ford app for his truck sounded cool and now he can remote start among other things. I never tried the app mostly because I already had remote start. But I wanted to try it out.
Go through the process last 8 of vin. email. password. Blah Blah Blah. Then my truck pops up on the screen and it tells me to call an agent to add truck. Why do I need to talk to a person to do this? Is he going to ask for my CC information? Do any of you guys do this? Is it worth it?

Gren71

Reaction score
When you buy a ram new you get a trial period of the ram connect app and the integrated maps. Both expire at some point...where the maps still work but dont list some stuff ( traffic / gas prices ) and I THINK the app may still work but you cant use it for much more than recall alerts or to access the user manuals. I just yesterday got my email saying to call them, but I havent yet...So I cant answer as to if its worth it or not. I suppose it would depend a lot on what price theyre asking.

slimchance

Reaction score
in nov. when i bought the 2023 Laramie, i downloaded the RAM app because i use it with our Jeeps... after the hassle of involving my salesman and a week of trying, using their help desk, it would display "my truck" with a different VIN # located hundreds of miles away .. 10 days later it got fixed ... i think it is worthless so have stopped using it

DuaneMiller

Reaction score
I have used the app since I purchased the truck new... I pay for the service annually... Is it worth it? It is for me.
The app currently provides the following:
- Ability to start/stop the engine from anywhere
- Ability to lock/unlock the doors from anywhere
- Ability to sound the horn from anywhere
- Display the current fuel level, approx range
- Displays the current "Vehicle Health Report"
- Shows any open recalls and recall history
- Shows "Digital Glovebox" (Owner's manual, vehicle equipment, warranty information)
- Shows current location on truck on a map
- Ability to set up and configure "Drive Alerts" (speed, curfew, boundaries)
- Ability to schedule service and view service coupons/discounts.

The main thing I use is the start/stop feature. I travel alot, and usually whenever I'm on my way out the airport making my way to the parking garage, I usually start the engine to either warm or cool the cab before I get there. I have used the service scheduler, and have used a couple of the coupons.

Anyway, YMMV!

U

User_3336

Friend dloaded Ford app for his truck sounded cool and now he can remote start among other things. I never tried the app mostly because I already had remote start. But I wanted to try it out.
Go through the process last 8 of vin. email. password. Blah Blah Blah. Then my truck pops up on the screen and it tells me to call an agent to add truck. Why do I need to talk to a person to do this? Is he going to ask for my CC information? Do any of you guys do this? Is it worth it?
Because it wasn't properly registered when the truck was purchased (so not knowing if this is a used truck or purchased new)
Also, initial service is only a trial (3 months if I'm correct), so after that, yeah, you would need to call, register, and pay for the service.

Also, your post is very vague because you didn't state the year and model of your truck. service depends on model year as well.

akaTheDude

Reaction score
If it was $10 a year...yeah...but I have heard is like $200 or something stupid.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's something that's nice to have but definitely not worth the cost to me. Maybe if we traveled more or needed reminders for service intervals.

U

User_3336

If it was $10 a year...yeah...but I have heard is like $200 or something stupid.
I've seen promo offers after the trial ended for $5 a month (eg $60 year -- make it $66 with taxes and fees).
That was with a 22 or 23 MY. Still did not renew (they wanted a credit card "ON FILE", instead of just a one time payment for a year).

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No it's not worth it, but BE AWARE. If you have Uconnect 5 you still have access to many services for up to 10 years. 50% of what DuaneMiller listed is free for 5-10 years.

Once the assistance and navigation trial ended I started getting the same popup, but you can just click the X and close the popup and access the services that are still under the longer free trial. I'm sure they want you to call so they can convince you to pay for additional connected services.

Connected Services.jpg

U

User_3336

It's something that's nice to have but definitely not worth the cost to me. Maybe if we traveled more or needed reminders for service intervals.
Part of it is still free for like 5-10 years. Like vehicle health reports, maintenance reminders, and a few more.
But the things people actually "USE", it requires a sub, like remote functions, etc.

U

User_3336

No it's not worth it, but BE AWARE. If you have Uconnect 5 you still have access to many services for up to 10 years. 50% of what DuaneMiller listed is free for 5-10 years.

Once the assistance and navigation trial ended I started getting the same popup, but you can just click the X and close the popup and access the services that are still under the longer free trial. I'm sure they want you to call so they can convince you to pay for additional connected services.
You beat me to it. I was going to look it up, but not feasible on a phone for me.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have used the app since I purchased the truck new... I pay for the service annually... Is it worth it? It is for me.
The app currently provides the following:
- Ability to start/stop the engine from anywhere
- Ability to lock/unlock the doors from anywhere
- Ability to sound the horn from anywhere
- Display the current fuel level, approx range
- Displays the current "Vehicle Health Report"
- Shows any open recalls and recall history
- Shows "Digital Glovebox" (Owner's manual, vehicle equipment, warranty information)
- Shows current location on truck on a map

- Ability to set up and configure "Drive Alerts" (speed, curfew, boundaries)
- Ability to schedule service and view service coupons/discounts.

The main thing I use is the start/stop feature. I travel alot, and usually whenever I'm on my way out the airport making my way to the parking garage, I usually start the engine to either warm or cool the cab before I get there. I have used the service scheduler, and have used a couple of the coupons.

Anyway, YMMV!
I don't pay for the app and I still have access to the items I highlighted in yellow. The only other item I might like to use would door lock/unlock. I did call to see if they had any "special offers or discounts" and was told they did not.

U

User_3336

I don't pay for the app and I still have access to the items I highlighted in yellow. The only other item I might like to use would door lock/unlock. I did call to see if they had any "special offers or discounts" and was told they did not.
Looks like the Vehicle Performance Package, which is for 5 years from registration. Its the one in the center of the post from @DEG

GMetal

Reaction score
The app has been glitchy for me. I pay monthly for the ram connect assistance. Its 14.99/ month. way too much in my opinion. My app can lose where my truck is at. It forgets my preferred dealer often. Even updates service records months after the service was done. The vehicle performance is the over the air updates and some in vehicle messaging. Its free until 2027 for my truck. But for the 14.99/month I can unlock my doors and start my truck with my phone.

U

User_3336

The app has been glitchy for me. I pay monthly for the ram connect assistance. Its 14.99/ month. way too much in my opinion. My app can lose where my truck is at. It forgets my preferred dealer often. Even updates service records months after the service was done. The vehicle performance is the over the air updates and some in vehicle messaging. Its free until 2027 for my truck. But for the 14.99/month I can unlock my doors and start my truck with my phone.
Alot of that doesn't sync with your owner account @ mopar.com as soon as it should. I wasn't an "owner" of my truck for almost a month. service records and such are delayed,

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Even though I hope to never use them, I am pleased the Roadside Assistance and SOS buttons on the overhead are part of a free trial.

Everyone might not be aware there are certain roadside assistance services that are available for free with the push of a button for 5 years or 60000 miles. They include sending someone out replace a flat tire with your spare, delivering you fuel when you run out of gas (2 gallons free, up to twice per year). Sending someone to jump start your vehicle. Sending someone to unlock your doors when you lock yourself out. Free towing to nearest dealer when you break down. Details are in the owners manual.

IMO $25 per month is far too much for the few useful things provided by the Assistance and Navigation package that expires after 3 months. Most of them I can perform with my keyfob as I don't really have a need to start my vehicle or unlock the doors while I'm in the next state. My Iphone maps tracks my vehicle and will navigate me to it so I don't need that function from the Ram app. The only mapping function that I couldn't get elsewhere for free that was somewhat useful if it was dependable was the ability to send guidance from my phone to the truck. However, often the guidance I sent would not pup-up on my trucks navigation for many miles after I left the house.

Jake1050

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys I've learned a lot. I have 2021 Bighorn 5.7 etorque that I bought used. Much like the XM radio this will not be worth it to me. I live 5.4 miles from work and ride the motorcycle as much as possible so I usually do much less than 5000 miles a year and it makes subs less worth it for me.

U

User_3336

IMO $25 per month is far too much for the few useful things provided by the Assistance and Navigation package that expires after 3 months. Most of them I can perform with my keyfob as I don't really have a need to start my vehicle or unlock the doors while I'm in the next state.

I'm surprised you haven't been hit with that $5 month / 60 year offer. I get the offer almost every month. I'll see if I can find an email I haven't deleted.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm surprised you haven't been hit with that $5 month / 60 year offer. I get the offer almost every month. I'll see if I can find an email I haven't deleted.

I probably did receive them but would not have read them and probably unsubscribed to their marketing emails.

I wouldn't even pay the $5 per month for both the Assistance ($14.99) and Navigation ($9.99) packages as there is nothing in either package that provides any value to me.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys I've learned a lot. I have 2021 Bighorn 5.7 etorque that I bought used. Much like the XM radio this will not be worth it to me. I live 5.4 miles from work and ride the motorcycle as much as possible so I usually do much less than 5000 miles a year and it makes subs less worth it for me.

None of my earlier posts may be applicable to your 2021. I believe your 2021 uses Uconnect 4 which likely has different connected service than the Uconnect 5 services I posted. I think it will perform mostly the same functions but trial periods and and prices may be different.

Also, someone recently posted that without paying for navigation services on a 2019 with Uconnect 4 they would not be able to search by POI to navigate. That's not the case with Uconnect 5, I can search or browse by named POI without paying for the navigation services. I can also download map and POI updates for free where I believe you have to pay for

Users who are viewing this thread