5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tried to Update from LR 34.2 to PR 40.1...Bricked

sigpro

Reaction score
I attempted the update on my 2019 Ram 1500 Limited...followed the instructions exactly (Instructions)...however it stopped at 19% and then gave me error code 20. The symptoms appear to match this TSB exactly: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10221269-9999.pdf

Been messing with it for a couple hours, I have tried different USB drives, also tried 39.9 and 39.7...it just does the same thing...starts to install then hits error code 20 after a few mins. And will not revert to the working version.

I have the battery disconnected now with the trickle charger on it...going to try again tomorrow. Any suggestions or am i going to need a new radio?

I started looking here...i would need #2 on the diagram right? Are there big differences between all the different part numbers, seems like some of them i can get for cheaper...cheapest one i found was 68329882AR...

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi sigpro,

My apologies for the late message! We're not mechanically trained to diagnose vehicle concerns and recommend parts for repairs here, but it sounds like the update may be failing and need further diagnosis. Did it complete, or is it still presenting the same error code? If it didn't complete, we would recommend visiting an authorized dealer for further assistance.

Steph
Ram Cares

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What makes you sure you bricked the module?

sigpro

Reaction score
Mainly the TSB that I linked to above, judging from the troubleshooting path, which I have walked through multiple times, it always ends at the recommendation to replace the module. Also just in general I haven't seen any evidence in any forum that once you hit the Error 20 screen it's recoverable... I have tried everything I have seen on every website I could find. Hard reset by holding volume and tune, soft reset by holding temp up +down, disconnect battery overnight, etc. The module just loops and never recovers back to the previous version. Tried multiple clean flash drives (4gb and 8gb) with every version of sw between the one it started with and the newest...no matter what I try it never gets past 19% and always ends up with error code 20. Some things I have seen online indicate that error means corrupt memory...so maybe there was a memory issue and it just didn't hit the bad memory block until doing the upgrade, not sure.

Whatever the case, it's disappointing that smaller companies like Tesla can send out multiple OTA updates a month and RAM can't figure out how to send out a handful without bricking the radio. Icing on the cake I'm out of warranty and that radio module is pricey...ugh.

Tallus

Reaction score
If you are buying a new module, I would consider buying you non working module for a little project I have going on

moabbikr

Reaction score
I attempted the update on my 2019 Ram 1500 Limited...followed the instructions exactly (Instructions)...however it stopped at 19% and then gave me error code 20. The symptoms appear to match this TSB exactly: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10221269-9999.pdf

Been messing with it for a couple hours, I have tried different USB drives, also tried 39.9 and 39.7...it just does the same thing...starts to install then hits error code 20 after a few mins. And will not revert to the working version.

I have the battery disconnected now with the trickle charger on it...going to try again tomorrow. Any suggestions or am i going to need a new radio?

I started looking here...i would need #2 on the diagram right? Are there big differences between all the different part numbers, seems like some of them i can get for cheaper...cheapest one i found was 68329882AR...
Having the exact same problem.. I first tried downloading the files and received the same error code at 19%, tried 4 different USB drives and got the same result. Went ahead and paid the $140 for the map update which comes with the Uconnect update and again have the same result. My GPS has me over 100 miles away from my actual location, Uconnect app functions don't work (yet another paid service not working) and the time is off by several hours. My ride is a 2019 Rebel and I have 88000 miles. I use CarPlay religiously so I don't need gps or the time to work but it's annoying knowing they don't work and will drive the price down for resale. I looked at replacing the radio and it's well over 1k, which is unacceptable considering none of safety features work, should be required by law to replace regardless of warranty.

sigpro

Reaction score
Yup, I ended up ordering a new one $1056...looked at ebay and I couldn't believe that used ones are going for so much...might as well pay a little extra and get a warranty. Tell you what, the new module better already have the updated firmware. Highway robbery. I am thinking of putting the old module on ebay for parts...try to recoup something at least.

moabbikr

Reaction score
Yup, I ended up ordering a new one $1056...looked at ebay and I couldn't believe that used ones are going for so much...might as well pay a little extra and get a warranty. Tell you what, the new module better already have the updated firmware. Highway robbery. I am thinking of putting the old module on ebay for parts...try to recoup something at least.k
Where did you order?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi sigpro,

If this error code still appears on your screen, we suggest bringing this to the attention of an authorized dealer for further assistance with pushing the update. We're available via PM if you need additional support working with them as well.

Steph
Ram Cares

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine froze during an OTA update a couple weeks ago. Screen wouldn't do ANYTHING. Waited 24 hours, multiple off/on engine cycles, nothing. I held down the power button on the radio for 10 seconds and it reverted to original and started working again.

sigpro

Reaction score
Mine froze during an OTA update a couple weeks ago. Screen wouldn't do ANYTHING. Waited 24 hours, multiple off/on engine cycles, nothing. I held down the power button on the radio for 10 seconds and it reverted to original and started working again.
Sounds like you got lucky! So you didn't get an error code? It just froze?

Power button didn't work for me with the error code unfortunately.

sigpro

Reaction score
Got the new module today, swapped it out...it came out of the box with 39.7...I decided to update it...after 20 anxious minutes it updated to 40.1 no issues. Just called Sirius Guardian and they opened a ticket to add the new Radio Module ID to my VIN. They said it should be done within 48 hours. I had to get into the dealer menu (hold down bottom right and bottom left buttons on the touchscreen), then hit the connectivity option. They needed the IMEI and the ICCID for the new radio module to open the ticket, along with the VIN number of the truck.

For those that have asked about the old module, I am going to list it on eBay...trying to get some money back and I have been burned a couple times selling stuff on forums...so if your interested, look it up on eBay...it will be under PN: 68317978AI

moabbikr

Reaction score
Having the exact same problem.. I first tried downloading the files and received the same error code at 19%, tried 4 different USB drives and got the same result. Went ahead and paid the $140 for the map update which comes with the Uconnect update and again have the same result. My GPS has me over 100 miles away from my actual location, Uconnect app functions don't work (yet another paid service not working) and the time is off by several hours. My ride is a 2019 Rebel and I have 88000 miles. I use CarPlay religiously so I don't need gps or the time to work but it's annoying knowing they don't work and will drive the price down for resale. I looked at replacing the radio and it's well over 1k, which is unacceptable considering none of safety features work, should be required by law to replace regardless of warranty.
I finally got my issue resolved. My air card was bad, gps and time would not update. Found a replacement air card on eBay for $50 and installed it. As soon as I fired everything back up gps and time was correct. Went and tried the system update that I couldn't get past 19% and it worked.. All problems resolved due to a faulty air card..

2019limited

Reaction score
I finally got my issue resolved. My air card was bad, gps and time would not update. Found a replacement air card on eBay for $50 and installed it. As soon as I fired everything back up gps and time was correct. Went and tried the system update that I couldn't get past 19% and it worked.. All problems resolved due to a faulty air card..
I seem to have the exact same problem... tried updating... got to 19%... then error code 20. What did you search for on ebay to get the replacement air card. All of my searches have come up empty. Thanks.

Tallus

Reaction score
I seem to have the exact same problem... tried updating... got to 19%... then error code 20. What did you search for on ebay to get the replacement air card. All of my searches have come up empty. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread