5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tried to order a ram

Cuppedup

Reaction score
Well, I built a bighorn online and sent it to a dealer who advertised fairly low prices. Net online price was $47K which included the incentives ram has listed on the build site. He quoted me at the same online price of $47K and wouldn’t give anything less. He said it’s more expensive for ram to build a truck by order. I called BS on that.
Crew cab with sport appearance, off-road group, level 2 and 33g tank. Nothing else. I’ve seen those advertised in the $40K range but haven’t had any luck recently

Brianziggy64

Reaction score
Well, I built a bighorn online and sent it to a dealer who advertised fairly low prices. Net online price was $47K which included the incentives ram has listed on the build site. He quoted me at the same online price of $47K and wouldn’t give anything less. He said it’s more expensive for ram to build a truck by order. I called BS on that.
Crew cab with sport appearance, off-road group, level 2 and 33g tank. Nothing else. I’ve seen those advertised in the $40K range but haven’t had any luck recently

You are correct to call BS on that statement!! It does NOT cost the manufacturer a single penny more to build a customer ordered truck than a dealer ordered truck!! I ordered a 2020 Limited and got 8% under “invoice price” plus all rebates I qualified for. Did it all online too. Keep looking!! Good Luck!

Cuppedup

Reaction score
After telling him via text that I’ll shop elsewhere, he just responded and said lowest they can go is invoice + $500. Then incentives/rebates.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After telling him via text that I’ll shop elsewhere, he just responded and said lowest they can go is invoice + $500. Then incentives/rebates.
Invoice or MSRP? Think you two are thinking of two separate things. Invoice is what dealers pay. Not sure someone got 8% under invoice plus incentives. I think they probably meant 8% under MSRP plus incentives. $500 over invoice plus incentives is probably a fair amount off of MSRP.

tom318

Reaction score
Keep trying different dealers. That price is BS. I ordered a 2021 Laramie in July and picked it up on 10/1 and received invoice (FWP price) + the full HB, additional 550 and the current incentives at the time of pickup. It all depends on the dealer so keep trying or do what alot of guys on this forum do and buy from one of the sponsoring dealers for this forum. I think Koons in VA is one people have good luck with but may require travel and alot of over the phone/email work depending on your location. Otherwise keep trying local dealers, hopefully one of them is reasonable. I feel as if i was lucky with mine since it was only my 3rd attempt at a dealer. first 2 were MSRP only for an order, $0 discount, third offered 7500 off. After i mentioned i was interested in an order but would only do it if i received a price similar to what i see on the lot now, my sales guy said sure. Built a truck at the dealer, 64845 msrp, dealer offered 57397 + available incentives at time of delivery. So i ordered. If your near northern IL, my sales guy was great.

Cuppedup

Reaction score
Invoice or MSRP? Think you two are thinking of two separate things. Invoice is what dealers pay. Not sure someone got 8% under invoice plus incentives. I think they probably meant 8% under MSRP plus incentives. $500 over invoice plus incentives is probably a fair amount off of MSRP.

no, I meant invoice. Plenty of dealers start negotiations off invoice from what I hear. I actually believe one of the site dealership sponsors (Craig) has a post in here they offer 7% below invoice plus rebates. Dealers still make money off invoice since they get them as dealer cost

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you think dealers actually pay "invoice" pricing, then you have been taken for a ride by your dealer

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Standard rule of thumb for an order target price, which costs the dealer virtually nothing because they don't have to carry the inventory unless you back out, is invoice less the full holdback less $500 and no BS add on fees like doc fees, DH, etc. Those fees are all BS profit. Maybe they won't do the extra $500, but you should always ask for invoice less holdback. That's what I paid for my 2020 HD order. Ended up being 11% off MSRP before my $1K USAA incentive and a $250 Allstate rebate for simply owning a non FCA vehicle..

"Dealer invoice" is not their actual final cost.

Maconi

Reaction score

He's just trying to move inventory off his lot. I had to hang up on multiple dealers who tried to pull that BS on me when I was shopping around. I had a few call me back that acted mad when I told them I already bought a truck from someone else for the price they wouldn't agree too "well they must be losing money then" lol (even if they were, that's not my problem is it?).

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you think dealers actually pay "invoice" pricing, then you have been taken for a ride by your dealer
No rides here, December 2018, I paid $53k for a limited ram that had an MSRP of $67,500. Which is around 22% off MSRP. But what is printed on the MSRP, is not the dealer Invoice. That’s all I’m saying.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No rides here, December 2018, I paid $53k for a limited ram that had an MSRP of $67,500. Which is around 22% off MSRP. But what is printed on the MSRP, is not the dealer Invoice. That’s all I’m saying.
And when dealers tell you so much over or under invoice, that invoice number isn't the price they are paying either.

rws1944

Reaction score
Here's an interesting web site to help determine MSRP vs Dealer Invoice vs True Dealer Cost. When buying a new rig information is power.

Brianziggy64

Reaction score

Yes I meant “invoice“. And yes dealers do sell under invoice prices as many have gotten this same deal as me from Koons or Criswell in Washington DC. I just bought mine on August 7th. Also, keep in mind that the posted invoice online that we all see is not the actual invoice price! No one but the manufacturers and dealers actually know the true invoice prices of cars and trucks!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's an interesting web site to help determine MSRP vs Dealer Invoice vs True Dealer Cost. When buying a new rig information is power.

I don't believe that site shows actual "true dealer cost." There are factory rebates, quota bonus, etc. that the dealer gets. Like @Brianziggy64 said, only the mfr and dealers know their true cost.

Mtsabo

Reaction score
Id keep on looking. I wouldnt settle for anything less then 20% off msrp, i dont really care what the invoice is. I got 27.5% off my 20 bighorn.

borden72

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to order a Hellcat Redeye and Koons Dodge near D.C is offering 4% under invoice and any rebates that may apply when the car arrives for pickup. They are a volume dealer and run a Hellcat.org group buy. Keep searching. Deals can be had.

Users who are viewing this thread