5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tried installing my new Mopar tow hooks today. Well…

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everything went relatively well while uninstalling the plastic covers and reinstalling the Mopar bezels, although working up in those tight spaces was definitely a challenge, even with the trucks front wheels up on ramps.

But wait there’s more.

When it came time to loosen the huge bolts where the tow hooks will be bolted in… Epic Fail. Those suckers are torqued TIGHT! Like 75 ft/lbs. I couldn’t budge them with my wrench no matter how hard I tried, and I ended up with bloody knuckles to boot.
Got a mechanic friend coming by tomorrow with some better tools, and I’ll post pics when it’s done.

Anyone else here do the tow hook install and did you have similar issues?

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn’t do mine, paid dealer $100 to do it when getting oil changed but my son in law did his with no problem In my driveway. I supervised 🤣

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've done it twice - installed and removed on my 2019 and installed on my 2021. I just used a breaker bar on my wrench. I used the floor jack handle but any round pipe/tube to slide over the wrench handle for leverage works. Once you break the initial torque you can ditch the extension and use the wrench normal.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
You gotta use a big breaker bar to get these bolts to turn…

jgmac98

Reaction score
I've done mine and 3 others. It's way easier if you take the tire off, turn the steering wheel to the opposite direction (if doing driver hook, turn fully to passenger side), remove the lower front wheel well cover (3 bolt screws). Then you have lots of access.

takes ~1.5 hours to do both sides.

Medgas24

Reaction score
I didn’t do mine, paid dealer $100 to do it when getting oil changed but my son in law did his with no problem In my driveway. I supervised 🤣
Lies I broke the bolt i torqued them backwards and snapped the long one lol

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lies I broke the bolt i torqued them backwards and snapped the long one lol
Lmao. I didn’t want to tell everyone you f—-Ed up! You read the torque rating wrong on the instructions 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread