5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travelling with dog questions....

Boyvan

Reaction score
Hi all,

We recently got a Doberman puppy. This is our first dog so wanted to get ideas regarding safe travelling with the dog.

Most of these trips will be local. I have 2 small kids - 1 is still in car seat. I have explored different options - crate, lifting one part of the seat up but none of that is feasible. The only thing that I thought would work is seat cover and harness that connects to the seat belt. Seat cover I bought from Amazon but doesn't fit :mad:. Haven't tried the harness yet. Last thing I need is some sort of door protection when /if the dog puts his paw on the window (to protect interior leather).

I am having hard time looking for door protection for its paws. How are you guys protecting your interior from getting scratched. I would appreciate any ideas / suggestions.

Thanks,

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
We got a pet carrier box on Amazon when we got our pup. It had zippers on the corners so you could fold it flat for storage, a strap thru grommets at the back bottom corners that connected to seatbelt receivers, and a strap that looped around the front & back seat headrests to hold it up vertically. There was a strap for securing the harness to a seatbelt receiver but we used a different short lead that ’rode’ on the shoulder strap and wasn’t as restrictive to the pup. Our pup outgrew the box around 12 wks old but he was 95% house trained at that point so we transitioned to a fleece on the seats. Afraid the door handles and trim under the windows will always suffer when you have a dog.

side note: we worked HARD training him to always lay down when the truck is in motion and he now does so in any vehicle when the speed goes above 25 mph or so.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

We recently got a Doberman puppy. This is our first dog so wanted to get ideas regarding safe travelling with the dog.

Most of these trips will be local. I have 2 small kids - 1 is still in car seat. I have explored different options - crate, lifting one part of the seat up but none of that is feasible. The only thing that I thought would work is seat cover and harness that connects to the seat belt. Seat cover I bought from Amazon but doesn't fit :mad:. Haven't tried the harness yet. Last thing I need is some sort of door protection when /if the dog puts his paw on the window (to protect interior leather).

I am having hard time looking for door protection for its paws. How are you guys protecting your interior from getting scratched. I would appreciate any ideas / suggestions.

Thanks,
No help from me but...
You got a puppy and are worried about the paws?
I would be worried about that thing chewing up everything in sight.
When I was young, living with my parents, we had up to 6 GSD`s, at one time.
All were little cute puppies that had to go thru teething, need I say more?
Good luck. I mean it.

Choate

Reaction score
Yep. Get a short leash that attaches to the seat buckle. Just gotta make sure it’s long enough if the pup falls down to the floorboard it doesn’t choke it. And get a good seat cover from chewy. Then put a bed sheet down if you want full protection from hair.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks,
And don`t forget about the drool factor, gets on everything.
An old picture before the East German border patrol GSD showed up.
That thing was a hand full, nothing but a tool, no cuddling with him.
279256_2105891019064_1537530_o.jpg

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is how I travel with my Doberman - Ingrid. Luckily, no kids - so it is easier for me. I built a platform out of 5/4 plywood and covered it with industrial carpet. I have about 59,000 miles on this Ram, and she has been in the truck for at least 57,000 of them. I know there are plenty of people who will complain that I don't have her harnessed when we travel - but I don't wear a seatbelt either.

20220629_114020.jpg
20220923_120525.jpg
20220923_120509.jpg

Last edited:

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Works great for me. Covers everything and keeps the hair contained.

Extra Large Dog Car Seat... Amazon.com

brian55

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks,
Weathertech has door protectors, can't say how good they are, i just noticed that they have them .hope this helps.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is how I travel with my Doberman - Ingrid. Luckily, no kids - so it is easier for me. I built a platform out of 5/4 plywood and covered it with industrial carpet. I have about 59,000 miles on this Ram, and she has been in the truck for at least 57,000 of them. I know there are plenty of people who will complain that I don't have her harnessed when we travel - but I don't wear a seatbelt either.

View attachment 181489
View attachment 181490
View attachment 181491
Your anti-theft device looks focused and on point.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your anti-theft device looks focused and on point.
Most people find her intimidating but she is just a big marshmallow. She wants everyone she meets to pet her, and whimpers and whines if they don't. And she loves to sit or stand in the front yard and stare at the sunset whenever she can.

114301.jpeg
114305.jpeg
124828.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread