5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travel trailer towing with a half ton

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I appreciate all the help, I’ve see a lot of people saying it can’t be done, so glad to hear it’s possible.
Out of curiosity I looked in the truck and found weigh tickets from the last time I towed heavy, moving my classic charger. Ended up being close to the same amount of weight with probably close to the same tongue weight, and was able to pull that just fine for 500 miles. View attachment 179927
Not trying to knock on you, but you stopped in the wrong spot on the scales, and didn't get enough info on trailer and rear axle weights. If you do try again, watch where you stop and look for the joints in the scale and get an axle in each section. Just an FYI so other people may take note of this.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate all the help, I’ve see a lot of people saying it can’t be done, so glad to hear it’s possible.
It isn't about whether it can be done, but whether it should be done. People tow more than they should with half ton trucks every day.

"Tows great" often comes from inexperience of what towing great actually means, and what it means to have a truck that can handle what it's towing. You aren’t always going to be towing in perfect weather on perfect roads. Consider how your truck would handle something that big in gusty winds, on some of the roads in east Texas, or if someone pulls out in front of you or cuts you off.

In my opinion and experience, that's too much trailer for your truck.

Last edited:

Gren71

Reaction score
Not trying to knock on you, but you stopped in the wrong spot on the scales, and didn't get enough info on trailer and rear axle weights. If you do try again, watch where you stop and look for the joints in the scale and get an axle in each section. Just an FYI so other people may take note of this.
I did this my first time ever on a scale haha

Users who are viewing this thread