5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transporting Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

zman9119

Reaction score
I wonder if folks who worry about their dogs damaging the seats in their vehicles transport kids in those same seats. Talk about trashing the seat. And the whole car for that matter.

Simple, kids ride in the bed!

Agitated

Reaction score
I have never seen a happier dog than the ones i see in the back of a truck bed. As for temperature, that never seems to bother them except in extreme days. They are animals and survive outside after all.
As for in the truck, an old sleeping bag is about the best idea.

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
I have never seen a happier dog than the ones i see in the back of a truck bed. As for temperature, that never seems to bother them except in extreme days. They are animals and survive outside after all.
As for in the truck, an old sleeping bag is about the best idea.

That's BS. If the dog is loose in the bed, it's just dangerous. If he's in a crate and the crate isn't tied down, it's still dangerous. And if they're in a crate, what's there to be happy about and how could you see it even if they were? Either way, but for very few days it's either too cold or too hot for their comfort.

As for "they are animals and survive outside, after all" you must be kidding. They're pets. They don't survive outside. They lost that ability as soon as they were domesticated.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I have an XL dog mat that covers the entire back seat. I put towels in the window channels to protect the doors.

As far as animal safety goes - inside or outside the cab is pointless debate if you aren't buckling them in. Otherwise if you get in a wreck your dog becomes a missile towards you and your family.

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
As far as animal safety goes - inside or outside the cab is pointless debate if you aren't buckling them in. Otherwise if you get in a wreck your dog becomes a missile towards you and your family.

I agree that the unrestrained dog becomes a missle and that strapping your pup in is by far the best solution. But Fido is still better off in the cabin, restrained or unrestrained, than he is in the bed. Although he could take your head off as he flies by!

Mike67

Reaction score
I agree that the unrestrained dog becomes a missle and that strapping your pup in is by far the best solution. But Fido is still better off in the cabin, restrained or unrestrained, than he is in the bed. Although he could take your head off as he flies by!
Agreed. Also it is illegal to transport dogs in bed of truck in several states.

harleyrae

Reaction score
My puppydogs live inside with me. - 2 90# boxers. Our neighbors have gotten use to seeing us at all hours of the evening just riding the nieghborhood and finally quit posting on nextdoor of these people driving slow down the streets that seems like they are casing the homes. We go on neighborhood rides most daily. We put a big king quilt over the seats. We roll the windows down - even in freezing cold and rain so they can look out - and throw a towel over the door so it can catch the drool. Yes we love our puppydogs....

Attachments

• 20171208_091848.jpg
    20171208_091848.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 77

Repsol_Maker

Reaction score
db8b2ac96881673216a200f42dcd6b9f.jpg

Going to the groomers. One a month mine ride in the back. Kennel is strapped down. I can’t put them in the back due to car seats for the kiddos.

This was yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
Seems like there would be plenty of room for the pups on the floor between the back seats and fronts. But at least the crate is strapped down so points for that much of it.

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
My puppydogs live inside with me. - 2 90# boxers. Our neighbors have gotten use to seeing us at all hours of the evening just riding the nieghborhood and finally quit posting on nextdoor of these people driving slow down the streets that seems like they are casing the homes. We go on neighborhood rides most daily. We put a big king quilt over the seats. We roll the windows down - even in freezing cold and rain so they can look out - and throw a towel over the door so it can catch the drool. Yes we love our puppydogs....

You need a bigger sofa!

Repsol_Maker

Reaction score
Seems like there would be plenty of room for the pups on the floor between the back seats and fronts. But at least the crate is strapped down so points for that much of it.

140lbs and 75lbs. Crew cabs aren’t that big. I get them there and back as safely as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rrlorentzen

Reaction score
My lab goes to work, and everywhere else, with me everyday so I got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013VPZTAQ

It contains a good amount of the hair and keeps him in the back seat. It also prevents him from ending up bunched up and injured on the floor. When there are people in the back he also does ok laying on the floor with the 1/3 seat folded up.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dog just sits on the floor, seats folded up, on a big old moving blanket. She's not tethered but she is old and just kind of flops over if the truck has to swerve or something. Never gets hurt. I agree that in a serious accident she'd be loose, but she's flat on the floor and unlikely to go anywhere unless the truck flips over - in which case maybe we're all dead.

I would never let my dog ride in the back of an open bed. She rides with me where it's comfortable. Otherwise she stays home. If I had to transport kids too then I'd have a super-awesome camper top, a rubber or carpeted floor, and a seal between the windows so the AC/heat can flow to the back too. When I had multiple big dogs and only an extended cab, that's how they rode. I only quit the camper tops after I got crew cabs with fold up seats and flat floors.

As far as dog hair, I don't worry about it. Vacuum the truck once in a while and tell anyone who doesn't like chancing that they may get a bit of dog hair on their clothes that they might prefer walking instead :D

AndreiV

Reaction score
My dog kennel on the track and my pups.

Attachments

• 1230181402a.jpg
    1230181402a.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 0226190846.jpg
    0226190846.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 108

redbranch

Reaction score
Dogs will rarely ever be riding in my new Longhorn...they ride in my '04 Chevy, in style. Insulated, cool in summer, and safe. Of course, kinda overkill for the average one or two dog person. LOL!

Attachments

• 20161016_112728.jpg
    20161016_112728.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 74
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread