5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transporting Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiLlYDeE

Reaction score
I’d prefer to flip up the longer rear seat for my dog to lay on the floor rather than on a seat cover. Is there a contraption on the market for a dog to lay on the floor and works well to protect against dirt and hair? (Everything I’ve seen so far is designed for the dog to lay on the seat directly or a hammock that rests on the seat.)

Maple

Reaction score
I'd measure it out and get a dog mattress that fits the space. One of the foam ones so it won't bunch up like a blanket.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
We just use an old sleeping bag, pretty soft and you can roll it up so nothing falls out. Buuuut that dog onesie is a pretty stylish alternative.

thefastz

Reaction score
Last edited:

AndreiV

Reaction score
I love my two 50lb dogs but always transported them in travel kennels in the SUV for everyone safety. I assume that outside weather and dog size probably the main decision factor here. This is my dogs new custom travel apartment if they want to ride with me! Wielded sectional 2x2x3 ft kennel, insulated inside with 1" foam board with reflective backin for heat, cold, and rain conditions.
Screenshot_2018-12-10-21-20-06~2.png

Last edited:

BiLlYDeE

Reaction score
It's difficult to find a properly-sided cover that allows a dog to lay on the floor rather than the seat as I'd prefer to flip up the 2/3 seat and keep my son's booster seat on the 1/3 seat.

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
To those who transport their dogs in the bed of a pickup instead of in the cabin: come on, man. There are few days where it's not too hot or too cold for the pup's comfort. And let's not even talk about the battering the bed/pup takes with wind and noise. Would you ride in the bed as often as you expect your dog to? How about your kids? The pups are family. They deserve better.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To those who transport their dogs in the bed of a pickup instead of in the cabin: come on, man. There are few days where it's not too hot or too cold for the pup's comfort. And let's not even talk about the battering the bed/pup takes with wind and noise. Would you ride in the bed as often as you expect your dog to? How about your kids? The pups are family. They deserve better.

Back seat on the floor with a dog bed for both my dogs with the A/C blowing hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
Back seat on the floor with a dog bed for both my dogs with the A/C blowing hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for you (and the pups).

And I failed to mention the most important thing about the "I just put my dog in the bed. Done." crowd: If the crate isn't tied down and you somehow get in a tank slapper, let alone a roll over, the crate and Fido get ejected to meet with a not very good fate. And if you're one of those knuckle draggers who put your dog in the bed loose, good lord, man, are you kidding? The poor pooch could easily go overboard in any number of routine situations, including just because he wanted out and jumped. Anyone that transports Fido uncrated in a pickup bed should be arrested for animal abuse and not allowed to own even a goldfish.

jkratze1

Reaction score
I flip up the 1/3 seat in the cabin and put the dog on the floor on a dog mat or bed. I never allow my dog on the seats.

zman9119

Reaction score
I'm dreading the day that I need to transport mine in the truck. They are hairier than a circus freak and it ends up everywhere.

Doesn't help that there are 3, 100-lbs German Shepherds.

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
I use doggie seat protectors from here: https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/seat-covers/canine-seat-protectors. They look good and fit pretty well. Even after years of regularly transporting my pups, the seats in my vehicles always look new when the cover is removed.

Sure, dogs shed. It's what they do. And you must clean the seat cover from time to time (vacuum first, then wash in a normal washing machine) but it's a small price to pay for having your best friend along for the ride.

I wonder if folks who worry about their dogs damaging the seats in their vehicles transport kids in those same seats. Talk about trashing the seat. And the whole car for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread