5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission

kevin1914

Reaction score
The trans in my 2019 Laramie feels like a stick shift car. I can feel every gear.. is this normal, or could it have something to do with driving in 2 wheel drive? Also, is it related to eco mode? I keep seeing eco pop up on the display...

Thanks in advance for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
10,500 miles, I barely feel shifts in my Limited. I almost always over-ride my MDS system too. I don't like how the truck feels (lugs) at low speeds with MDS activated.

ponypride

Reaction score
My transmission shifts very smooth. I have never had the Eco light come on. What is “MDS” mode and how is it activated?

Firebird

Reaction score
My transmission shifts very smooth. I have never had the Eco light come on. What is “MDS” mode and how is it activated?

It's when the engine drops down to 4cyl for economy, it is much more abrupt than the previous generation Ram. Use the + - button bottom right of the steering wheel to turn off. Just set the gear selector up to 8 and enjoy.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The trans in my 2019 Laramie feels like a stick shift car. I can feel every gear.. is this normal, or could it have something to do with driving in 2 wheel drive? Also, is it related to eco mode? I keep seeing eco pop up on the display...

Thanks in advance for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Feel" is too subjective a term to give you a firm answer, but I don't notice mine shifting, no. It just glides into the next gear smoothly. When it's cold (truck + outside temperature), sometimes the first 1 or 2 shifts might be noticeable until the tranny warms up (which is within a 1 min or two), but it would not have anything to do with driving in 2 wheel drive as that is what you should be doing most of the time.

Eco can occasionally have a "fish bite" effect in my truck when slipping out of MDS, just like a tiny little tug; that appears to be normal as more people say the same thing. You can check if you're noticing MDS, but disabling it temporarily by pressing the +/- keys. Use the gear limiter to limit the gear to 8, and that will keep the truck out of MDS.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll just add that the 'ECO' display must be enabled for you to see it. It's off by default.

There are a number of threads already running regarding the Multi-Displacement System (MDS) cylinder deactivation: https://5thgenrams.com/community/search/304749/?q=MDS+cylinder+deactivation&o=date

The transmission in my truck shifts very smoothly. I enabled the current gear display in the cluster to identify which gear my truck was in because I couldn't tell during normal driving.

As posted above, 2WD should have nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread