5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission Towing Temp

upwindstorm

Reaction score
Gearing up for camping season! "hopefully". Been doing some searching and as usual only seeing opinions on Trans temps and cooling system function on the 8HP75. I understand it uses a special oil and that it is rated for "lifetime". I want to keep a nice healthy trans under the pickup, what temp should i keep it under? from my searching looks like you don't want to go over 210*? Anybody have any hard info on this?

TIA!

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The fluid is lifetime for the warranty, not the truck...ZF recommends like 50-65k filter and fluid change.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do a good bit of towing. The trans in my truck stays nearly the same when towing as when not towing. Maybe 5 degrees more.

I see 178-195 when towing. Highest temps seen when backing the trailer into a tight campsite after a couple of tries. Surprisingly little change when towing in the mountains.

Engine oil temp is another story. Definitely higher when towing, especially climbing steep grades.

smonska

Reaction score
I'd say anything under 280F is fine. With modern synthetic fluids, they don't oxidize like they used to. In fact, the engineer's target operating temp for modern oils is as hot as 250F (look at the oil temps in these trucks).

upwindstorm

Reaction score
I'd say anything under 280F is fine. With modern synthetic fluids, they don't oxidize like they used to. In fact, the engineer's target operating temp for modern oils is as hot as 250F (look at the oil temps in these trucks).
wow! those are some high numbers!.. what do you mean by "(look at the oil temps in these trucks)"?

smonska

Reaction score
The engine oil is thermostatically controlled to be minimum of 200F in unloaded daily driving, and easily hits 250F if you're towing. You can see this on your dash under "vehicle info".

I'm going off topic though, we're talking Trans temp, but my point was the modern synthetic fluids aren't upset by temperatures in the 200s, in fact the manufacturers like it to be at least 200 for efficiency purposes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread