5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission service intervals

zlman

Reaction score
Looked in the manual and it doesn't list any transmission service intervals (seems odd) at least nothing I could find.
Is there a factory recommended time/mileage of fluid and filter changes?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Looked in the manual and it doesn't list any transmission service intervals (seems odd) at least nothing I could find.
Is there a factory recommended time/mileage of fluid and filter changes?
you have opened up a can of worms!
more here

zlman

Reaction score
@bigdodge, Thanks. Good info in the linked threads. Not sure how I missed all the discussion but I did.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Chrysler - "Fine for life" Even though if you read between the lines they want the first drain and replace at 100k

ZF - The maker of the transmission itself wants it done at 60k. Presumably, you would do it at the next 50-60k as well.

I am going to do mine soon and I am getting close to 50k. It's better to do it sooner and more frequently, regardless of the specs. If you wait too long you end up with excessive wear from the fluid degradation. Then what happens is when they do replace it, the trans starts slipping because all those wear particles in the fluid are no longer there to keep masking the trans failing. If you do any towing, definitely go with the cautious route and change at 60k or so.

bpwj76

Reaction score
My truck has 64k miles on it so I asked for a quote on transmission service and was told $1020 by my dealer. SA said the filter is part of the pan, so a new pan would have to be ordered and the fluid alone is over $200. Is this a load of crap or are those numbers accurate for that service on this vehicle?

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
My truck has 64k miles on it so I asked for a quote on transmission service and was told $1020 by my dealer. SA said the filter is part of the pan, so a new pan would have to be ordered and the fluid alone is over $200. Is this a load of crap or are those numbers accurate for that service on this vehicle?

The pan needs to be replaced for a proper service because the filter is embedded in the pan. I believe, but I could be wrong, the Mopar pan is $300 or so. The fluid is anywhere from $30-$40 a quart and it takes a few quarts.

A lot of guys on here will go with the Dorman pan which is $180 or so and just pony up for the Mopar fluid. I believe Dorman makes the pan for ZF. A lot of the BMW guys seem to indicate that. So basically, Mopar is possibly using Dorman and adding $120-$150 on top. Having experience with ZF in boats and other vehicles, it's recommended to use their fluid or the OEM fluid.

The entire job can be done DIY for under $500. The labor it seems they are including is excessive. It's literally:

1) Drain the fluid.
2) Remove the pan (can be a PITA with the exhaust and cross members)
3) Install the new pan
4) Fill per the specs.

Service department could literally do it in an hour to an hour and a half.

The only quirky step, really, is the re-fill. There is some conflicting info about whether the fluid needs to be warmed for refilling. I will get to mine in the next few weeks.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I stand corrected, apparently the Dorman pan is definitely aftermarket and has also shown to have leaking issues.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Seems accurate when you factor in labor rates

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Seems accurate when you factor in labor rates

I think there's a little being added to the top:

$300 for the pan
$240 in fluid

That's $540.

Labor rates @ $150/hr average, seems like they are factoring in quite a bit of labor. If that's the ballpark rate it seems like they're budgeting almost 3.5 hours which is a bit much.

I am trying to find where I saw it but I think I saw someone on here quoted $800 from the dealer which seems a little more inline.

That's just my $0.02 for what its worth. Even my marine diesel mechanic is $175 per hour and I've seen rates there as high as $199 per hour.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think there's a little being added to the top:

$300 for the pan
$240 in fluid

That's $540.

Labor rates @ $150/hr average, seems like they are factoring in quite a bit of labor. If that's the ballpark rate it seems like they're budgeting almost 3.5 hours which is a bit much.

I am trying to find where I saw it but I think I saw someone on here quoted $800 from the dealer which seems a little more inline.

That's just my $0.02 for what its worth. Even my marine diesel mechanic is $175 per hour and I've seen rates there as high as $199 per hour.
Most delaer service won't be just a simple pan drop and refill. Will probably be a full flush, which requires more fluid than a filter and fluid change. And takes more time.

Last edited:
Reactions: c3k

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Most delaer service won't be just a simple pan drop and refill. Will probably be a full flush, which requires more fluid than a filter and fluid change. And takes more time.
Just out of curiosity, do you know how they even do this on those trucks? I imagine they have a fitting for the fill and then let it come out the drain?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is where I chicken out and bring it to the dealership, unless the warranty is up. Then I'm doing it myself and using the PPE aluminum pan with replaceable filter

bpwj76

Reaction score
This is where I chicken out and bring it to the dealership, unless the warranty is up. Then I'm doing it myself and using the PPE aluminum pan with replaceable filter
Yeah, I'd do it myself. I have a friend with a lift in his shop. However, my SA said she spoke with their "warranty person" and he told her that since it's under warranty (CPO 7/100k), the transmission service would have to be done by them. Which I have my doubts about too, but I'm not willing to test it. I guess I could always call another dealer and ask if that's true.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd do it myself. I have a friend with a lift in his shop. However, my SA said she spoke with their "warranty person" and he told her that since it's under warranty (CPO 7/100k), the transmission service would have to be done by them. Which I have my doubts about too, but I'm not willing to test it. I guess I could always call another dealer and ask if that's true.

I'm under the Mopar 7/100k as well. I just can't stomach a $1000+ for a glorified trans flush. My truck goes into the dealer next week for rear window replacement. The service rep is an honest guy. I am going to price out what it is with them as well as pose the question of whether a DIY with receipts would be OK for warranty.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am the OP in the second thread that Big Dodge posted. I will go talk to my friend of a friend who owns a transmission shop here in town & go over this info with him along with getting a quote from him as well as the Ram dealer (also here in town) & report back to you guys afterwards. My warranty is through CNA so I can have this service performed at another certified shop & maintain warranty. It may be a couple weeks however so don’t hold your breath, but I will get the info eventually & post it on both threads.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Considering the owners manual says the trans doesn't require service and is "lifetime" fill, there would be no reason for warranty company to even know you changed it, let alone deny a warranty claim because you did

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
However, my SA said she spoke with their "warranty person" and he told her that since it's under warranty (CPO 7/100k), the transmission service would have to be done by them. Which I have my doubts about too, but I'm not willing to test it. I guess I could always call another dealer and ask if that's true.
This is just simply not true. You are allowed to get your car\truck services by any shop you like, and that is common knowledge. The lady just wanted to sell you extra crap.
Considering the owners manual says the trans doesn't require service and is "lifetime" fill, there would be no reason for warranty company to even know you changed it, let alone deny a warranty claim because you did
^^^^

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, do you know how they even do this on those trucks? I imagine they have a fitting for the fill and then let it come out the drain?
It's a very simple and actually takes less time than a pan drop. Fitting in the fill/check hole and a fitting on the cooler line.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's a very simple and actually takes less time than a pan drop. Fitting in the fill/check hole and a fitting on the cooler line.
The actual flush takes less time, but once you re done with flush, you still need to drop the oan to replace the filter

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The actual flush takes less time, but once you re done with flush, you still need to drop the oan to replace the filter
That wasn't the question. Yes if you are replacing the filter then the pan has to come off.

Users who are viewing this thread