5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission problems?

19reb

There's been a couple folks look at my Rebel likes it's a shiny new coin just out of the mint. One they've never seen before. Sorta the same looks and questions I got with my Hellcat.

What's been said more than once is transmission problems with Chrysler products. LOL.

Anyone have or know of anyone who has had transmission problems with their RAM truck since Fiat bought out Daimler in 2014? I've owned a dozen Fiat/Chrysler products and haven't had an issue out of any of them. All my car/trucks have the ZF transmission(8 speed), though. Except my 05 Dodge RAM and the 200. No problems either way.

I'm not talking about leaks really. More hardcore problems like tranny completely blown or a gear goes out or something. These were the problems described to me in conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
The ZF8 is a fantastic transmission, if not the best on the road today. The V8 and diesel FCA vehicles (RAM, Durango, Grand Cherokee, etc) get a ZF-sourced unit, whereas V6 models get one made under license by Chrysler. I've seen problems posted regarding the Chrysler-made ones, but not so many on the ones bought from ZF by FCA. Most of the complaints posted aren't really the transmission's fault either, so much as the software running them, which is all Chrysler. My 2015 Grand Cherokee Hemi had super lazy shifting, and was not smooth at all, until I had a TSB software update performed on it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The ZF8 is a fantastic transmission, if not the best on the road today. The V8 and diesel FCA vehicles (RAM, Durango, Grand Cherokee, etc) get a ZF-sourced unit, whereas V6 models get one made under license by Chrysler. I've seen problems posted regarding the Chrysler-made ones, but not so many on the ones bought from ZF by FCA. Most of the complaints posted aren't really the transmission's fault either, so much as the software running them, which is all Chrysler. My 2015 Grand Cherokee Hemi had super lazy shifting, and was not smooth at all, until I had a TSB software update performed on it.
I also think it’s telling that the 8HP75 is finding it’s way into the new HD gassers. This suggests it’s more than adequate for 1/2-ton needs.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Transmission problems are really a thing of the way past for FCA products. The 45RFE trans used in the early 2000's was an issue for trucks/SUV's. They've come a long way since then.

19reb

My 2005 545RFE was holding WELL over it's rated lb.ft. of torque and never one problem. It had a 3000 stall, though, and was tuned properly.

I knew older transmissions had their problems. But these folks were referring to the newer transmissions. The ZF transmissions.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2005 545RFE was holding WELL over it's rated lb.ft. of torque and never one problem. It had a 3000 stall, though, and was tuned properly.

I knew older transmissions had their problems. But these folks were referring to the newer transmissions. The ZF transmissions.
I've had a 4th Gen and a 5th Gen now and the drivetrain was the most impressive part of both trucks. Smoothest, smartest and toughest trans I've come across in a stock vehicle.

@JKEDSNAKE

Reaction score
I'm going through an ordeal with my 2019 Ram limited right now. Bought the truck new and has always shifted rough, like if the engine and transmission are not synchronized right. When coming to a stop the engine revs up and the transmission slams into 1st. It will throw the transmission into neutral on its way down and I will have to stop completely, shift to park and back to drive. The gear indicator blinks and the message on the dash reads "place in park then select desired gear" I took the truck into the dealership and they did nothing about it as they said they couldn't replicate the problem, this eas at about 36000 miles, I took a bunch of videos of the problem, whenever traffic permitted and showed the dealership service guy, took the truck in and again they said they could not replicate. So now I am talking with Ram Care about a possible lemon law buyback, whatever that means. Such B.S. All I want is for them to fux it or replace the truck with the same model and trim. Truck is loaded just like I wanted it.
These are the links to the videos.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone talking about transmission issues with Dodge /Chrysler vehicles are still stuck in the past. The 46/47/48re had a horrible ID unit that caused all sorts of issues. The 45rfe also had issues. Since then with the Daimler 5-speed and the new ZF 8-speed issues are rare.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Haven’t had any problems thus far. What is the stall speed of my trans? Just curious since it was mentioned.

U

User_3336

5th gen rams shift smooth as butter. Sometimes I can't even hear/feel it shift.

Rondo13

Reaction score
I'm going through an ordeal with my 2019 Ram limited right now. Bought the truck new and has always shifted rough, like if the engine and transmission are not synchronized right. When coming to a stop the engine revs up and the transmission slams into 1st. It will throw the transmission into neutral on its way down and I will have to stop completely, shift to park and back to drive. The gear indicator blinks and the message on the dash reads "place in park then select desired gear" I took the truck into the dealership and they did nothing about it as they said they couldn't replicate the problem, this eas at about 36000 miles, I took a bunch of videos of the problem, whenever traffic permitted and showed the dealership service guy, took the truck in and again they said they could not replicate. So now I am talking with Ram Care about a possible lemon law buyback, whatever that means. Such B.S. All I want is for them to fux it or replace the truck with the same model and trim. Truck is loaded just like I wanted it.
These are the links to the videos.
Hello JKEDSNAKE, What was the fix for this problem last year?
The other day my 2019 Ram Rebel (56k miles) while driving approximately 45 mph went into a "false neutral". The truck motor of course rev'd at a high rpm but, I was "free wheeling" without tranny engagement. I made it to the shoulder, shut down, restarted, placed the selector in drive and made it home without an incident ( less than one mile). I took the truck to the dealership and they did not see error codes? I left the truck for them to diagnose and test over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread