5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission operating temperature range

Fixedwing17

Reaction score
Ram Pros,

I just changed my transmission fluid on my 2019 Ram 1500. I went with Amsoil OE fuel efficient fluid and it's running really nice with smooth shifts. However, I noticed the temps are now running between 180-185 vs 195-200 with the old fluid. What is everyone else seeing temperature wise?

On a side note, I want to slap the engineers for placing the exhaust tube directly underneath the transmission drain port. Someone must have pissed in their coffee the day they were designing that.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram Pros,

I just changed my transmission fluid on my 2019 Ram 1500. I went with Amsoil OE fuel efficient fluid and it's running really nice with smooth shifts. However, I noticed the temps are now running between 180-185 vs 195-200 with the old fluid. What is everyone else seeing temperature wise?

My 8HP75 is consistently 168-172 F

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It takes a while, but my tranny typically will get to 190F - 195F without a load, but it can take 10-15 miles of driving to get there. On shorter trips, I typically see 180F or even lower.

Mjgain

Reaction score
Ram Pros,

On a side note, I want to slap the engineers for placing the exhaust tube directly underneath the transmission drain port. Someone must have pissed in their coffee the day they were designing that.

How did you refill it with such low temps? My land Rover had the same transmission and the fill procedure required the thermostat to open (if I remember 75 C) to fill properly. Or, did you just overfill by 1/2 liter?

Attachments

• oil change-zf-8hp-50130-en.pdf
    568.4 KB · Views: 16

Fixedwing17

Reaction score
How did you refill it with such low temps? My land Rover had the same transmission and the fill procedure required the thermostat to open (if I remember 75 C) to fill properly. Or, did you just overfill by 1/2 liter?
I filled it between the recommended 88F-122F. The temperature ranges I stated above are the operating temps while driving.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 8HP75 is consistently 168-172 F
This is more consistent with what I'm seeing this time of year. After 50+ miles today, I was running at 172. I only happened to check because of this thread. Running on factory fill with just under 24K miles.

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
Huh. Every time I look at trans temp after driving a bit, it's about 195 deg. F. Guess I can attribute that to "sporty driving" (as mentioned in the pdf from Mjgain) :rolleyes:

Dave

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Huh. Every time I look at trans temp after driving a bit, it's about 195 deg. F. Guess I can attribute that to "sporty driving" (as mentioned in the pdf from Mjgain) :rolleyes:

Dave

I believe that's normal operating temp, though I wonder if some folks have extra coolers with maybe a towing package or just driving in a colder area or not enough miles for it to reach those temps.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe that's normal operating temp, though I wonder if some folks have extra coolers with maybe a towing package or just driving in a colder area or not enough miles for it to reach those temps.
No additional coolers here. Towing 8,000 lbs during summer still sits at 172

22B14B14-D84D-4DDA-8DCF-D03AFD8673B4.jpeg

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram Pros,

I feel like I have to defend my profession and point out this was likely a bean counter responsible for this. I've seen this way too many times. Engineer notices an issue after putting an assembly together in CAD, submits change request for said issue...then re-engineering gets denied because the system still functions and it's a production/maintenance problem now.

If I had a nickel for every denied change request for a minor packaging conflict (minor being there's no interference but it's extremely inconvenient for assembly or repair) I'd be able to retire in my 40s.

56 Pontiac

Reaction score

Dave
Stupid me - that's oil temp 195, trans temp (don't remember the value) much lower :censored:

Dave

KrustyKush

Reaction score
2021 Laramie 5.7. I keep my display set to monitor all those engine and trans temperatures. Towing a trailer in very hot weather, my trans oil temp will sometimes get just above 200f. But mostly runs around 195f. In cooler weather, it runs down around 180f. Give or take a few degrees.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
2021 Laramie 5.7. I keep my display set to monitor all those engine and trans temperatures. Towing a trailer in very hot weather, my trans oil temp will sometimes get just above 200f. But mostly runs around 195f. In cooler weather, it runs down around 180f. Give or take a few degrees.

That's what I'm seeing, unless I drive less than 10 miles, I will see about 180F. My normal 50 mile commute, I will see 190-195F. Towing, I may see 200F.

230KVDR

Reaction score
Ram Pros,

230kvdr here and just order heat wrap from summit racing and wrap the tube as far right and left as you can. use at least three clamps they supply. Hint...soak the roll in water before wrapping and don't cut it until your done wrapping it . Make half lap or it's called over lap one half. This should drop the temperature by 10-30 degrees. Worked great on my 2019 5.7l DT

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/