5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission oil...

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the biggest challenge in this procedure is really waiting on the temperature to come down on the transmission if you exceed the filling temperature range. I wouldn't be surprised that the dealership does this procedure at the end of the day and leaves the truck on the lift in order to fill it next morning.

Here's a long thread on the BMW F30 forums on the procedure:

Oh I completely agree, takes some serious patience I'm sure lol.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to see that it can be done without the need for any fancy scan tools.

Amsoil OE Fuel Efficient fluid is apparently spec'd properly for this trans, and it's like $10 a quart so that is what I'll do one day.

gmantwo

Reaction score
My local Dodge dealer just called me $800 to change the pan/filter and oil, and labor. Labor was three hours at $110/hr.
I can buy a good pan at Amazon for 138 and the oil if I use the original is $31 per quart at my local Dodge dealer

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
That is "sort of" correct. I've done this a few times on a BMW and in that case you would want to use the ISTA Rheingold software to do this. However, the only input the software/scan tool does take is from the temperature sensor inside the transmission. If the temperature conditions are met, the software/scan tool provides instructions on how to fill and the transmission (when and how long to cycle thru gears to fill up both the torque converter and the volume inside th transmission cooler/transmission cooler lines.

You can get around this by measuring exactly how much you drain. The assumption on this is that the previous fill is correct. Also, you'll most likely need to fill the transmission to a level above the fill port if you're not going to fill up the torque converter by cycling thru gears.

No matter which way you do it, I would recommend measuring the amount that you drain so you can use this figure as a sanity check if you run into any snafus while filling the transmission.
How would a person go about filling fluid above fill port level? Sounds messy and difficult to be accurate.

Polo08816

Reaction score
How would a person go about filling fluid above fill port level? Sounds messy and difficult to be accurate.
You could slightly tilt the car in a way that the fill port corner of the transmission pan is slightly higher.

Also, you can put a towel or rag around the fill port as you're filling it and try to put the fill plug in as fast as possible in order to prevent as much fluid loss as possible.

It is messy and difficult.

Bw1605

Reaction score
Where is the actual info for the 8HP75? Can’t seem to find it. I did a transmission fluid change on my 2016 eco-diesel twice, I’m sure it’s the same procedure but I don’t wanna screw it up. I did the eco-diesel at 80,000 miles and 120,000 miles. This hemi is coming up on 40,000 and has done probably 60% towing of a 28 foot camper. Time to change the fluid I think, plus with it getting so cold here in Michigan right now the gas mileage has been crap, as if it already wasn’t bad lol

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now that it's summer and ambient temps are commonly 90F, a guy could basically check the level as soon as the fluid is poured in. No need to let the vehicle run for any length of time at all. It makes things much much easier. In the dead of winter you'd have to wait quite a while to get to proper temp.

I have done a Ford 6R80 and Toyota Tundra trans both of which have very similar procedures and I didn't have any issues with either. It's not rocket science, it's just complicated by not having an underhood dip stick.

Khrissicks

Reaction score
That is "sort of" correct. I've done this a few times on a BMW and in that case you would want to use the ISTA Rheingold software to do this. However, the only input the software/scan tool does take is from the temperature sensor inside the transmission. If the temperature conditions are met, the software/scan tool provides instructions on how to fill and the transmission (when and how long to cycle thru gears to fill up both the torque converter and the volume inside th transmission cooler/transmission cooler lines.

You can get around this by measuring exactly how much you drain. The assumption on this is that the previous fill is correct. Also, you'll most likely need to fill the transmission to a level above the fill port if you're not going to fill up the torque converter by cycling thru gears.

No matter which way you do it, I would recommend measuring the amount that you drain so you can use this figure as a sanity check if you run into any snafus while filling the transmission.
Since the fill hole is hard to attach a funnel to, is there any recommended methods to getting the full measured amount back into the fill hole?

I've seen hand pumps, but wouldn't there be left over oil in the pump hose and hence make the measurement off?

Users who are viewing this thread