5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission noise 2019 Ram 1500

e1cofppx

Reaction score
I have 2019 Ram 1500 4x4. At startup it sometimes makes a banging noise. I thought it was a backfire but dealer and FCA now say it's random clutch application applying torque to P4 carrier and attached parking gear. The noise is the parking pawl making contact with a parking gear tooth. Does anyone have similar problem? Only 20K miles and I am not happy with dealer and FCA response. I have filed a lemon law compliant.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have 2019 Ram 1500 4x4. At startup it sometimes makes a banging noise. I thought it was a backfire but dealer and FCA now say it's random clutch application applying torque to P4 carrier and attached parking gear. The noise is the parking pawl making contact with a parking gear tooth. Does anyone have similar problem? Only 20K miles and I am not happy with dealer and FCA response. I have filed a lemon law compliant.
I haven’t experienced that at all with mine .

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi @e1cofppx, we certainly understand your concern with what you are experiencing. We would like the opportunity to look into this for you, as we understand your desires to have this addressed. If you would be interested in resolving this with our team and alongside your dealer, please send us a private message for further support.

Kathryn
RamCares

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Release your brake pedal as soon as it starts cranking, some owners have reported a clunk/bang at startup and this fixes it.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, its common. Search clunk or clank on startup and you'll see. Don't mash the brake in when starting and you'll never hear it again. Light press on the brake pedal or momentary press on the brake pedal when you hit the start button and it will go away. After I changed my "starting habits" I never heard it again. In fact, I couldn't even duplicate it for the Service Department and it used to happen on nearly every start.

Users who are viewing this thread