5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission Issues

Cards4L

Reaction score
I stop at stop sign, but when I push on the gas my RPMs just went up but no movement (like I was in neutral). I put the truck in park and back to drive and I was good to go. Had this issue a few months a go when I was actually driving...it felt like it went into neutral and no movement. Dropped it off to the dealership and they said they couldn't replicate the issues. This morning I dropped it off again. They said it's not throwing any codes. Anyone else had this problem?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Truck specs? Year, engine, miles, etc might help someone point you in a direction

Cards4L

Reaction score
I stop at stop sign, but when I push on the gas my RPMs just went up but no movement (like I was in neutral). I put the truck in park and back to drive and I was good to go. Had this issue a few months a go when I was actually driving...it felt like it went into neutral and no movement. Dropped it off to the dealership and they said they couldn't replicate the issues. This morning I dropped it off again. They said it's not throwing any codes. Anyone else had this problem?
I have 2021 Ram 1500 Built to Serve Edition with less than 25K.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder if its low on fluid? I was watching a video the other day on these ZF's and they like to have the correct amount of fluid.

HemiDude

Reaction score
I wonder if its low on fluid? I was watching a video the other day on these ZF's and they like to have the correct amount of fluid.
I agree, it sounds like low fluid. OP stated the dealer didn't find anything wrong, but.....

@Cards4L, did the dealer perform the actual process for checking transmission fluid? There is no dipstick, and it takes a little time and effort to do it right, some dealers don't like to do much more than scan for codes.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree, it sounds like low fluid. OP stated the dealer didn't find anything wrong, but.....

@Cards4L, did the dealer perform the actual process for checking transmission fluid? There is no dipstick, and it takes a little time and effort to do it right, some dealers don't like to do much more than scan for codes.
Wouldn't you think if the fluid is low it would set a code and do it all the time?

HemiDude

Reaction score
Wouldn't you think if the fluid is low it would set a code and do it all the time?
Not necessarily, if it is just low enough that certain conditions cause a lack of fluid in specific circumstances. Fluid condition could possibly have an impact as well.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not necessarily, if it is just low enough that certain conditions cause a lack of fluid in specific circumstances. Fluid condition could possibly have an impact as well.
Would a low fluid condition set a code?

HemiDude

Reaction score
Would a low fluid condition set a code?
I can't say for certain whether it would or not on a Ram. I know on a lot of other vehicles and manufacturers it doesn't always set a code. It seems like if something in the transmission is not working right than it should though, I agree with that

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't say for certain whether it would or not on a Ram. I know on a lot of other vehicles and manufacturers it doesn't always set a code. It seems like if something in the transmission is not working right than it should though, I agree with that
wouldn't low fluid cause something in the trans not to work right? like long shift time, no shift, delayed engagement of a gear, loss of prime, and so on?

HemiDude

Reaction score
wouldn't low fluid cause something in the trans not to work right? like long shift time, no shift, delayed engagement of a gear, loss of prime, and so on?
Yes it could, one of the reasons I suggested that to the OP initally

HemiDude

Reaction score
Right, everything I stated would set a code.
No disrespect, but I categorically disagree. I see cars every day with check engine lights that have no symptoms, and equally as many with obvious engine or transmission issues that do not set codes. I am not saying that if you install a monitor or delve deeper that you won't see something, and I don't have much diag experience with new Rams - maybe there is something there I am not aware of - but if someone is relying solely on stored codes as a diag tool, they are possibly overlooking something. After all, underneath all of the electronics, they are still mechanical components.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No disrespect, but I categorically disagree. I see cars every day with check engine lights that have no symptoms, and equally as many with obvious engine or transmission issues that do not set codes. I am not saying that if you install a monitor or delve deeper that you won't see something, and I don't have much diag experience with new Rams - maybe there is something there I am not aware of - but if someone is relying solely on stored codes as a diag tool, they are possibly overlooking something. After all, underneath all of the electronics, they are still mechanical components.
A low fluid condition does not fix itself. Explain how a low fluid would be fine for so long then "act up" 1 time again, then be fine. A low low fluid condition on this trans will set a slip code, loss of prime, and a host of others. For fun go drain a quart of fluid out and see how your trans operates.

You see new model cars everyday with obvious engine or trans problems everyday, that don't set codes? 1st if the tech can't reproduce the concern, he can perform basic checks and that is about it. They can road test and monitor data, at that point if the vehicle isn't acting up what should they do? At this time the truck has acted up 2 times over a course of a "few months".

HemiDude

Reaction score
I guess I'm not sure what you are looking for. OP asked for help, I tossed out some insight based on my experience. I've been around cars a long time but I wasn't looking for a "My Johnson is bigger than yours" conversation. If you have substantiation that a Ram transmission issue will ALWAYS set a code, or if you have the solution to the OP's concern, share it and I'll stand down. Otherwise let's not turn this thread into something that it wasn't designed to be

Cards4L

Reaction score

I called them today after 4-days and they haven't even looked at my truck. They are supposed to call me tomorrow and I mention to them about the transmission fluid check.

Users who are viewing this thread