5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission Hesitation

dino0029

Reaction score
My 2020 Dodge Ram DT 3.6 engine hesitates. So after truck is off for a while ,1/2 hour or more, I start up drive and within the first mile I get a hesitation or bump. Once vehicle is warm it doesn't happen anymore. This started after about 1500 miles on my truck. Not sure if this matters but problem started when it got cold out.
Have read similar problems on this thread.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would take it to the dealer and have them check the transmission fluid level .

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my 3.6L - maybe you saw my posts asking about it. I’m going in for first oil change next week, maybe I’ll ask about trans fluid levels... Does your truck also vibrate/buzz at around 2000 RPM when under load? But not when in neutral? I’m trying to figure out if the problem is transmission, torque converter, transfer case, something... I don’t believe it’s exhaust. I also wonder if it’s related to the hesitation issue...

dino0029

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my 3.6L - maybe you saw my posts asking about it. I’m going in for first oil change next week, maybe I’ll ask about trans fluid levels... Does your truck also vibrate/buzz at around 2000 RPM when under load? But not when in neutral? I’m trying to figure out if the problem is transmission, torque converter, transfer case, something... I don’t believe it’s exhaust. I also wonder if it’s related to the hesitation issue...
Lol, my truck vibrates the same. When a song with heavy bass comes on especially. I was at a light and the car next to me had his bass high and my bed was vibrating ,I AM NOT JOKING.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Yeah, this isn’t related to the radio/speakers. I’m asking about vibration from the engine or driveline. Trying to identify the source and from what I can tell, it seems to be an issue across all engine options, which leads me to believe it’s something with the driveline. I’ve seen reports of this in 3.6L, 3.0L and 5.7L

It could also help to explain the hesitation/surge of the transmission/torque converter. But, I’m not an expert...

JohnnyLogo

Reaction score
My 5.7 does the exact same thing when at first start up, the first 2 or 3 starts from stop with cold trans temp.. After that my 8 speed functions flawless.. Honestly it does not bother me too much. I received a survey req from Chrysler I completed and when mentioned this issue, it prompted me to questions specifically asking if this was occurring after a cold start..

Ben2020

Reaction score
My truck has the 3.6 and I just got it back from the shop for the exact same problem, except it happened hard enough once at 40 that I let off the gas. They could not replicate, but the service supervisor ordered an obd mini recorder. I'm supposed to pick it up after it comes in and trigger it to record when the truck does the stutter again.

Ben2020

Reaction score
Will do. It happens every day, so hopefully it won't take long to find out what's up. I can usually get it to stutter if I put it in third gear and set the cruise at 20. Unfortunately, it didn't work for the guy trying to replicate the stutter. After I got my truck back it stuttered for me almost on command.

Ben2020

Reaction score
Update: I was out a couple weeks with the corona...the truck sat while I was sick, got in it after I was better, and the truck has not stuttered in the few days I've been able to drive again. Will still follow up with the dealership for the data recorder just in case.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Update: I was out a couple weeks with the corona...the truck sat while I was sick, got in it after I was better, and the truck has not stuttered in the few days I've been able to drive again. Will still follow up with the dealership for the data recorder just in case.
Hope you're feeling better!

Ben2020

Reaction score
Ok, took the recorder back, and the shop said my stutter was caused by cracked porcelain in some spark plugs. Replaced plugs and coils, no further issues as of today. Don't know why I couldn't get it to throw a code, but most of my issues were during high load low rpm conditions (slow acceleration leading up to a gear shift). Hopefully that helps.

Best wishes,
Ben

Users who are viewing this thread