5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission gets stuck in first gear

Guntersr

Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie. I love the truck but twice now I’ve noticed it getting stuck in first gear and want shift into 2nd. I stop the truck shift it to park and then back to drive. It seems to reset it or something and drives okay ....Is it something maybe I need to adjust or not sure what is going on this it. Need help!

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where should it be set?
It shouldn't be, unless for some reason you want to limit upshifts, or disable MDS. Buttons are on the lower right of the steering wheel so you might be pacing your thumb there by accident.

Guntersr

Reaction score
It shouldn't be, unless for some reason you want to limit upshifts, or disable MDS. Buttons are on the lower right of the steering wheel so you might be pacing your thumb there by accident.
I just drove it and everything shifted perfect...Its very possible I pressed the button by accident...I am hoping that is it ...I can see how easy it would be to downshift by accident ....Wondering if anyone else has how the same problem

jkm312

Reaction score
I just drove it and everything shifted perfect...Its very possible I pressed the button by accident...I am hoping that is it ...I can see how easy it would be to downshift by accident ....Wondering if anyone else has how the same problem
It happened to me twice for this very reason. I changed the radio volume with the switch on the back of the steering wheel and hit the limit button. Now I know not to do that!

Guntersr

Reaction score
It happened to me twice for this very reason. I changed the radio volume with the switch on the back of the steering wheel and hit the limit button. Now I know not to do that!
I am hoping that is what I did ...Love the truck but was sick thinking transmission problems ....Hopefully that is all it was hitting the button by mistake.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, you hit that button and it picks up at the gear you are currently in.

Madhouse90

Reaction score
Hav
E the same problem with my 2019 ram 1500. Never touched the micro shifters

Eddy

Reaction score
I have a 2019 1500 Limited. Same thing has happened to me twice. I am sure that I didn't hit anything by mistake. I was pulling into traffic yesterday and it simply wouldn't shift. A few moments later, it shifted and everything was just fine. This was the second time it has done this. It scares me a bit since I have 33,000 miles on it and the warranty will be up real soon.

Ram68

Reaction score
I have had similar experiences on 2 occasions with the transmission stuck in first gear and unable to upshift. I am positive that I did not hit the gear shift limiter. Had to stop and shift into Park and upshift again. No error message is displayed when this happens.
I personally suspect it is an electronic glitch that causes the transmission to stay in first gear.
My truck is due for the annual service and will ask the shop to investigate it and will provide an update.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
had it happen to me
tonight...36k 2019 had to pull over and shut down and restart all good now. wouldnt shift out of first, praying for nomore problems christ.

Austin RAM

Reaction score
My 2020 RAM 1500 with 8,000 miles. Pulled away from light and would not upshift. Revved to 5000 rpm at around 35 mph roaring. Looked at tacho. Pulled into parking lot. Turned off engine. Restarted. No further problem and no warning light. Can this happen due to foot pressure on gas pedal?

Ram68

Reaction score
According to my service advisor they can’t troubleshoot the issue due to lack of diagnostic error code. I had this issue intermittently and just recently again while on the highway. This time it wasn’t shifting from 3rd gear up.
To me the gear shift issue appears when I try to quickly accelerate from slow speed. It has to do something with the electronic gear shifter.

Hopefully someone from Chrysler corporate sees these postings and can chime in.

magic280z

Reaction score
I test drove one that did that. Service dept. claimed low battery was the cause. Apparently low batteries cause some strange thing to happen on these.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I test drove one that did that. Service dept. claimed low battery was the cause. Apparently low batteries cause some strange thing to happen on these.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG
It happened to my Ram and a new battery resolved the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread