5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission Fluid - too late?

6XSBChamps

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 4WD with 86K. I do not believe the transmission fluid has ever been changed. Dealership won’t do it for me. Said 60k is the limit. Can I still do it or is that a really bad idea?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Find another dealer. The factory maintenance schedule, shown in the owners manual, only recommends a 60,000 change "if using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing." For normal driving conditions the first recommended transmission oil change is not until 120,000 miles.

6XSBChamps

Reaction score
Wow, I do see the owners manual says 120k now. One other question, might be dumb but it says “six speed only”. My truck has the 8 speed. I see no mention of the 8 speed in rhe manual for scheduled maintenance. Can I assume that transmission does not require the fluid change? I believe I’ve read about some having a “closed case” ?

Last edited:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow, I do see the owners manual says 120k now. One other question, might be dumb but it says “six speed only”. My truck has the 8 speed. I see no mention of the 8 speed in rhe manual for scheduled maintenance. Can I assume that transmission does not require the fluid change? I believe I’ve read about some having a “closed case” ?
If you have a ZF 8 speed transmission, without the dipstick, Ram says 100,000 miles. However ZF says 60,000 miles. It takes special fluid at about $40 per quart. You also have to change the trans pan, because the filter is part of the pan. Expect a fluid change to be $600-800.

Users who are viewing this thread