5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission fluid service

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Realistically any good trans shop can do it. To your point, I trust places like that more to do it right. I will say, ZF seems to make very good transmissions.

Absolutely, it isn't too different, other than the integrated filter in the pan and filling correctly based on temp. I think shops that have done this a lot will get better pricing and source the right parts from ZF/distributors as well.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I would follow ZFs recommendation for the ZF8 transmission, which is 50-60K service. There should be a service department (non-RAM) that would do your ZF service. I plan on doing mine at 50K.

My BMW independent service shop can handle it, since the procedure is the same. They just need to make sure they have a OBD reader that works with my RAM to confirm tranny temp for the refill.

I forgot to respond to this part but you should be able to check that on your dash display.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I forgot to respond to this part but you should be able to check that on your dash display.

The video mentions probably a better idea to get it from the OBDII reading than the dash reading, though he was mentioning it from a BMW example, I can't think the RAM's tranny reading on the dash is too different than the one being pulled from the OBD?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The video mentions probably a better idea to get it from the OBDII reading than the dash reading, though he was mentioning it from a BMW example, I can't think the RAM's tranny reading on the dash is too different than the one being pulled from the OBD?
I imagine that's where the trans temp display in the dash is pulled from. I have used Torque Pro on my old Dodge Magnum to get fluid temp when I changed the fluid and filtering that.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I imagine that's where the trans temp display in the dash is pulled from. I have used Torque Pro on my old Dodge Magnum to get fluid temp when I changed the fluid and filtering that.

I use the Torque Pro as well on all my older vehicles, great to get verification of temps especially on vehicles that have "dummy" type analog gauges that act more like warning lights only if there is an issue, but doesn't show actual real world temp changes, likely so they don't scare your typical driver when they see temps go up and down.

Ramdeathstar

Reaction score
My son has an Alfa Romeo with the 8-speed ZF 8HP transmission. It has the same valve body as our trucks. (I'm sure some gears/clutches are different. At least, I'd like to think so.)

Anyway, the pan/filter is identical to ours. I bought a BMW-spec pan for ~$120 and Liqui-Moly brand ZF approved fluid (TopTec 1800 Synthetic ATF) for ~$80 (double the volume of fluid I ended up needing). So, all in ~$200 for a filter swap and a fluid drain/refill. (And enough fluid leftover for a second drain/fill.)

Here's the LiquiMoly link: Top Tec ATF 1800
(That link shows their (inflated) MSRP of $27 a liter. That's wrong! FCP Euro sells it for less than $9 a liter.)

The pan IS a ZF pan. Not a knock-off or off-brand. It is manufactured by ZF, but marketed for a BMW. (Maybe a 3 series?)

BMW-spec pan because it had the cheapest cost of a pan/filter for the same ZF valve body. When I pulled my son's pan off and compared it to the new one, they were identical: same bolts, gasket, internal baffles, magnet numbers and placement, and filter.

The biggest hassle is the temperature requirements for the fill. It's probably not really necessary, but they spec a fill temp range. Don't quote me, but I think it's like 140-145F up to the bottom of the fill hole. (Fluids change volume with temperature. I have no idea what the coefficient of expansion is for this ATF, but since it's under warranty, I'll do it how they say. Someone heated some up and showed the difference. Hmmm....something to do on the stovetop next week...)

A drain and fill only gets about 1/2 the fluid. I'll drain and fill my truck twice at each 40k with a single pan/filter swap. (1/2 twice means 3/4 fresh fluid.)
How many miles have you put in since using the liquimoly fluid? I've looked up alternates for the Mopar ZF fluid but that wasn't one of them, but the logic makes sense to me if it's literally the same transmission.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How many miles have you put in since using the liquimoly fluid? I've looked up alternates for the Mopar ZF fluid but that wasn't one of them, but the logic makes sense to me if it's literally the same transmission.
20k or so... It's still a ZF8 HP transmission, but in an Alfa.

Users who are viewing this thread