5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission fluid service interval

TooTall2003

Reaction score
How often should I replace the transmission fluid in my 2019 ram 1500 big horn with the 8 speed transmission?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would go with ZFs recommendation over Mopar's lifetime claim.

Depending on what publication you read, as Fatherof3 mentioned, it could be 100 kilometers (60,000 miles) up to 70,000 miles.

It's not exactly cheap because the ZF8 uses a integrated pan/filter that needs to be replaced as well, but isn't all that expensive either. They sell kits online with everything you need to do it yourself, or pay a good independent shop to handle the labor.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Agree with @SD Rebel if you are not doing it yourself, find a good shop. Don't let a dealer bend you over, even if they will since they think it is lifetime. I just avoid the pain of the dealer. I assume your 2019 is out of warranty so go with the free market. There are plenty of good mechanics out there. Plenty of thieves too. I don't know how to tell you the difference.

I go to a shop because I just don't have the time to deal with it anymore. I grew up wrenching as the old man was a mechanic. Stuff is a bit high tech now but replacing parts is still just that. With work and life, I can't keep up. Time becomes a commodity and I buy it by paying others to work on my crap. The guys I use are pretty straight forward. They will let me go back under the lift and check out what is wrong. They will also install my parts so that is cool too. (Right up until the struts installed on my car leaked 3 months later, new old stock motorcraft crap). You know, they can't warranty what they don't supply. This is understood up front by me though.

Users who are viewing this thread