5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission fluid flush?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is there a way to check the trans fluid level? I don’t remember seeing a dip stick under the hood.

For the ZF8 fluid check, the only way to check fluid level is to remove the fill bolt at a specific temp (must use scan tool), do not use the temp reading from the gauges.

Here is a pretty good video on it, set at 2min 30sec, it's on an older 8HP45, but still similar process to the 8HP75 on our trucks. Though confirm before you do it yourself.

Bw1605

Reaction score
I always use a Amsoil signature series. Their transmission oil meets or exceeds Mopar‘s and ZF specs has stated on their website and on their packaging.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just wanted to share my experience as I just changed my front and rear diff fluid with 10k on the clock. I have a 19' 5.7 4x4 with a 3.21 diff. The front diff was actually low with no visible leaks and I ended up using Redline 75w-85 GL5 gear oil (the front diff is made by ZF). I used Mobil 1 75w-90 GL5 for the rear, fluid level was Ok.

For the front diff there was minimal clutch wear
and wasn't really needed but since it was low I'm glad I did it. The rear diff looked a little milky and was dirtier but not really needed as well. I just did my 18' Alfa Romeo rear diff and after 20k it was very black hence why I thought the truck may have needed it.

I'm looking to do my tranny fluid change in my Alfa soon as it has the same ZF 8HP75 in it as the truck. Some things I have found while prepping for the job. The pan for the truck is available on Rock Auto for $130 from dorman but the Alfa I needed to buy it from FCA for $300. I think we need to calibrate our terminology as for these transmissions we should say drain and fill not flush and fill because we're not flushing anything on these. Also I'm going to use ZF's lifeguard fluid as I don't want to take a chance with any potential issues not using the correct fluid.
Dude, what clutches had minimal wear in your front differential?

The_Dude

Reaction score
Dude, what clutches had minimal wear in your front differential?
I made the mistake on saying clutch wear as the front deferential is geared and I should of said gear wear. Now my e-transfer case was low and had quite a bit of clutch wear based on the amount of super fine shavings in the drained fluid.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We mostly exchange the fluid where I am. It's BG fluid and haven't had any problems performing that service. Cost the customer $349.00.

rotts4u

Reaction score
My Subaru has a similar procedure for getting the trans up to demo then checking fluid etc etc. I dont have a scan gauge etc so I have been doing a more simple procedure to service the CVT in it. I raise the vehicle level then remove the fill plug first. Then remove the drain and carefully capture the fluid and measure it EXACTLY to the ounce. Then I simply put back exactly that much fluid. I usually add a couple ounces to account for the fluid in my drain pan that I cant get all the way out etc.

What this doesn't account for is if the fluid was improperly filled before. So if it was low, its gonna be low now. Its hard for me to imagine that I can do all that with the scan gauge and the cooler procedure etc etc. And I highly doubt any normal dealer tech is gonna do all that either. Also its hard to believe that the levels are that sensitive that a few ounces one way or another could be that critical.

Users who are viewing this thread