5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission fluid flush?

RamZone93

Reaction score
There is no recommendation for mileage on a transmission fluid flush. When do you guys plan on flushing your transmission fluid?

mjamesgt

Reaction score
I plan on 50-75k miles. ZF reccomends 100km or 8 years.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised you didn't get more answers on this, as well as recommendations for and against power flushing. That's quite the debated topic.
Perhaps since most of the 19's still have less than 15-20K on them, nobody is thinking much about it yet.

I will be waiting until appx 60K, but then I over-maintain my vehicles anyway.

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
When I had an oil change & tire rotation last week, I asked the mech about flushes. His answer was (and he didn’t say “Chrysler recommends..”) that he does a check of both diffs’ fluid for clarity each oil change and typically changes the diffs every other or third oil change. He said the synthetic trans fluid results in rarely if ever flushing the trans...’maybe at 100k’. I’m no authority but the mech’s answer seemed reasonable to me. He could have made more $$ by feeding me a more actionable line.

ramhead

Reaction score
Changing the diff fluid every other or third oil change could get really expensive.

LOL...exactly....and the differential fluids are also synthetic. Unless someone is using their truck for severe duty towing, plowing, etc. there is no reason to change it out at less than 100K miles (and even then, being synthetic, it may not even need it). The service schedule for the 2019 Rams doesn't even mention changing the diff fluid at any intervals thru 150,000 miles except for checking the fluid level....It only mentions changing it " If using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing, change axle fluid. " (see link below) Telling someone to change it out "every other or 3rd oil change" is a real "actionable line".

Even at the 150,000 mile service it still is not mentioned for "normal" driving:

/150,000 Miles
  • Inspect the CV/Universal joints.
  • Inspect the front and rear axle surfaces. If gear oil leakage is suspected, check the fluid level. If using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing, change axle fluid.
  • Inspect transfer case fluid for the following conditions: heavy usage, off-road, fleet/taxi, etc
  • Replace engine air filter.
  • If equipped with Stop/Start replace accessory drive belt with OEM grade Mopar belt.
  • Flush and replace the engine coolant at 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km) whichever comes first.
  • Change the transfer case fluid.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The reason why you don't see it on the schedule is that FCA considers the fluid lifetime. As Mjamesgt mentioned, ZF on the other hand recommends 100K kilometers (62,000 miles) or 8 years, whichever comes first.

Please note that ZF doesn't recommend a flush, but instead a pan drop fluid change. The pan itself has the filter integrated to it and it's rather expensive, though they sell ZF-8 speed kits just for this change. The kits vary in price depending on the store selling them and the exact model of ZF8 you have, but expect around $278 - $350 range for the parts/fluid.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Changing the diff fluid every other or third oil change could get really expensive.
He tows heavy I believe. There's a thread somewhere where he talks about it. Agree that for the casual driver, a diff fluid flush/change is not needed for quite awhile.

Someone on ramforum.com asked the same question last year and a reply said: "Drop the pan and change filter. I've read over the years that on the 8 speed you must lift the rear end to get all the fluid to the correct level. I'm not sure exactly but there is a specific procedure that's different from the 6 speed. "

It's been debated on other threads and forums but the consensus I've seen is that to a manufacturer, "lifetime" is just to get past the warranty... There's a lot of discussion over fluid breakdown with heat, moisture etc and how nothing is "lifetime" in regards to fluids.

I've experienced the same thing with differentials/transfer cases over at Ford, they have several models which have no drain plug and Ford doesn't recommend AWD fluid (diff/transfer) changes but they burn up to the tune of $1600...

Last edited by a moderator:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In my previous trucks (GM 3/4-tons), I ran Castrol/Allison TranSynd. While it was pricy (think “liquid rubies”), it has very impressive performance characteristics.

I changed around every 25-50K miles, mostly due to age (this fluid can go MUCH longer, even in commercial applications).

I used what has been documented as the “Hoot” method. Change the filter if needed, but keep in mind that this doesn’t clear out all fluid. Then, regardless of whether you changed the filter, proceed to have the truck flush itself. Remove the return line from the oil cooler, direct it into a bucket and start the truck. Let the truck pump itself down a few quarts, then add the same amount to the fill hole. Repeat until the fluid going into the bucket matches the fluid going into the hole.

Using this approach, you run through some extra fluid. But you also “flush” the entire system without putting any stress on it. Needless to say, I’ve never had transmission problems following this approach. At the same time, I question the need for these measures on a 1/2-ton truck that doesn’t see much abuse.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of good info here but I wonder what Ram considers a "lifetime" fluid when some folks have the lifetime warranty? It seems odd that they would not list a fluid change interval when they could be on the hook for a transmission replacement into the later years. I get that this will be very few trucks, but surely some accountant has foreseen this expense which could be negated by a little print on an existing service chart?

Ranger482

Reaction score
I've always changed mine at around 40,000 miles on my previous trucks and would do it myself by the method SpeedyV described above. Had it down to a science. Always replaced with Amsoil synthetic. Not sure if the same method can be used on these transmissions but I plan on the same internal for a change on this truck. I tow my boat most of the summer and don't subscribe to the "lifetime" fluid theory, particularly since the transmission manufacturer doesn't either.

Tyleroflb

Reaction score
I manage a fleet of fire engines in the mountains of California and we typically get 150k out of the Transynd in the heavy duty trannies (EVS4000). We pull fluid samples every 15k or annually and change when the chemist tells us to. I will be doing the same for this truck, pull tranny samples annually/ or every other oil change and send them off. When ALS tells me it's time for a change that's when I will do it. As for what fluid to use... Transynd is the gold standard for the Allison transmission but anything with the TES-295 cert and the appropriate cert for our ZF would be what I would use. For those looking to not spend $70/gal for Transynd we have had great results from delvac for 1/3 the cost.

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score
I was told that changing the filter and transmission fluid isn't enough, it should be done in increments. E.g, Pull 3 quarts add 3 quarts, then do a full oil change.
This is coming from transmission technicians.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was told that changing the filter and transmission fluid isn't enough, it should be done in increments. E.g, Pull 3 quarts add 3 quarts, then do a full oil change.
This is coming from transmission technicians.
See the method I described above. This ensures all fluid is changed out without any risk of damage from a traditional flush.

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score
See the method I described above. This ensures all fluid is changed out without any risk of damage from a traditional flush.

I like that! Working on GM's are easier too.

Oh man, I've seen many shops lifting cars keeping them on R / D for 10 minutes, drain/add etc.
Until the last drain looks the same. :LOL:

cotonymopar

Reaction score
transmission I am thinking around 100000 miles, the transfer case at around 30000 and the differs 75000, all have synth in them, the front diff, has an additive, or at least the earlier rams with hemis did.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
For me 100K is too far for the tranny, but then I overmaintain everything. I'd be more like 60K.
I don't tow, most all miles are highway and I don't "play" off-road so if anyone could go 100K it would be me, however, I won't go that long.
If you tow, do lots of stop and go, take a lot of short trips or operate in extremes of temps, I'd suggest you follow a "severe duty" schedule. All my opinion.

Bw1605

Reaction score
In my previous Ram I dropped the pan and added fluid twice in 140,000 miles. My Toyota that I had prior to that I use the method described above were you pumped the fluid out. Always use Amsoil transmission fluid. Good stuff, by the way I haul a 24 foot travel trailer most of the summer throughout the Midwest

The_Dude

Reaction score
I just wanted to share my experience as I just changed my front and rear diff fluid with 10k on the clock. I have a 19' 5.7 4x4 with a 3.21 diff. The front diff was actually low with no visible leaks and I ended up using Redline 75w-85 GL5 gear oil (the front diff is made by ZF). I used Mobil 1 75w-90 GL5 for the rear, fluid level was Ok.

For the front diff there was minimal clutch wear and wasn't really needed but since it was low I'm glad I did it. The rear diff looked a little milky and was dirtier but not really needed as well. I just did my 18' Alfa Romeo rear diff and after 20k it was very black hence why I thought the truck may have needed it.

I'm looking to do my tranny fluid change in my Alfa soon as it has the same ZF 8HP75 in it as the truck. Some things I have found while prepping for the job. The pan for the truck is available on Rock Auto for $130 from dorman but the Alfa I needed to buy it from FCA for $300. I think we need to calibrate our terminology as for these transmissions we should say drain and fill not flush and fill because we're not flushing anything on these. Also I'm going to use ZF's lifeguard fluid as I don't want to take a chance with any potential issues not using the correct fluid.

Jprec8it

Reaction score
Is there a way to check the trans fluid level? I don’t remember seeing a dip stick under the hood.

Users who are viewing this thread