5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission Fluid Change Quantity

Fixedwing17

Reaction score
I’m about to do a transmission fluid/filter change on my 2019 1500 and was wondering how many quarts I would need. Most videos I’ve seen use 5-6 quarts. I’m planning on using the Dorman 265-850 pan/filter and Amsoil OE fuel efficient synthetic. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just in case anyone stumbles across this, the quantities (including torque converter) are below. These are the only quantities available in service manuals:

8HP50, 8HP95: 9.5 quarts/ 9 liters
8HP75: 8.98 quarts/ 8.5 liters

SueHarada

Reaction score
Well first off, the engr idiot who designed the layout of the pan drain bolt to be hidden by the exhaust cross over pipe is dyslexic. The utter most stooopid postioning of a non reusable tranny pan, period. I changed mine out for the PPE pan, drain bolt is very accessible and holds more fluid, and!! and!! can chge the filter out with ease. The only down side? cost of the pan, but pays for itself tremendously in the long run. The other idiot design, the positioning of the fill hole OMG! really? rite above the exhaust pipe? no room for ****!!

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rant follows. I've been saying for years there are a lot of lazy "engineers" getting paid good money for bad designs and incompetent "managers" who don't have the brains or balls to say "no that's a stupid idea, don't do it like that". These weaknesses make companies like Chrysler easy targets for mergers and takeovers, and once that's happened there's little incentive to fix mistakes, just milk it as long as possible. End rant.

So tell us more about this PPE pan. Have part numbers? Pictures? Any chance it might lend itself to modification for a dipstick?

IndianaRam

Reaction score

Vulpes

Reaction score
Looks like a pretty nice upgrade.
Thanks for posting the pan upgrade link! Was under the truck today and noticed weeping and signs of an impending leak around the transmission pan gasket and a few bolts. So PPE - More fluid and serviceable?! Take my paycheck please.

Oldphart

Reaction score
Rant follows. I've been saying for years there are a lot of lazy "engineers" getting paid good money for bad designs and incompetent "managers" who don't have the brains or balls to say "no that's a stupid idea, don't do it like that". These weaknesses make companies like Chrysler easy targets for mergers and takeovers, and once that's happened there's little incentive to fix mistakes, just milk it as long as possible. End rant.

So tell us more about this PPE pan. Have part numbers? Pictures? Any chance it might lend itself to modification for a dipstick?

Thanks for posting the pan upgrade link! Was under the truck today and noticed weeping and signs of an impending leak around the transmission pan gasket and a few bolts. So PPE - More fluid and serviceable?! Take my paycheck please.
Our transmission is used worldwide in who knows how many vehicles., same for the engine. They probably put the drain/fill bolts in the model they were given and left it at that. Not defending engineering at all. If you are angry at this, you probably didn't experiance some if the idiotic things GM did in the 60's-70's. If you had a 60's Chevelle, 442, etc with a big block, you had to pull the motor mount on the passenger side and jack up the engine to access the rear two plugs on that side...and we werent getting 100k miles between changes either.

Oldphart

Reaction score
Looks like a pretty nice upgrade.
Nice pan. If they would just add a way to mount a dipstick it would be worth 2x as much. That would allow you to check and add fluid without crawling underneath. There was a guy that did just that for the GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado V-6 and he must have made a fortune. I'm sure the market is much larger for our vehicle.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice pan. If they would just add a way to mount a dipstick it would be worth 2x as much. That would allow you to check and add fluid without crawling underneath. There was a guy that did just that for the GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado V-6 and he must have made a fortune. I'm sure the market is much larger for our vehicle.
Don't know about the market size, but count me as very interested.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Our transmission is used worldwide in who knows how many vehicles., same for the engine. They probably put the drain/fill bolts in the model they were given and left it at that. Not defending engineering at all. If you are angry at this, you probably didn't experiance some if the idiotic things GM did in the 60's-70's. If you had a 60's Chevelle, 442, etc with a big block, you had to pull the motor mount on the passenger side and jack up the engine to access the rear two plugs on that side...and we werent getting 100k miles between changes either.
Was it Monza that required you to cut a 2" hole in the inner fender to change one of the rear plugs?

Oldphart

Reaction score
Was it Monza that required you to cut a 2" hole in the inner fender to change one of the rear plugs?
Yep.....I believe it was designed for the Wankel Rotary Engine so the engine bay was very small. Problem with the Wankel was very poor mileage and oil consumption....just ask any owner of the first Mazda RX2's.

Vulpes

Reaction score
Yep.....I believe it was designed for the Wankel Rotary Engine so the engine bay was very small. Problem with the Wankel was very poor mileage and oil consumption....just ask any owner of the first Mazda RX2's.
I know of lots of wacky engineering that precludes any reasonable access to things like spark plugs. Similar to the cat guards I made for my truck that now severely limit access to transmission fill plug... I did this to myself! Photo Jan 17, 2 43 26 PM.jpg

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know of lots of wacky engineering that precludes any reasonable access to things like spark plugs. Similar to the cat guards I made for my truck that now severely limit access to transmission fill plug... I did this to myself! View attachment 145454
Looks like removing a half dozen bolts might still get you in there. If so, maybe not so bad. Looks well done BTW. :cool:

SueHarada

Reaction score
one more thing about the PPE. You have the one O ring on the filter, it can collapse and become pinched upon lining it up and then you would push the pan up to engage, hard to tell if it went in correctly, I pull it out and chk for indentations on the O ring.

Users who are viewing this thread