5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission Fluid Change [ 2019 -1500/8 speed]

DCinHSV

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been covered. I contacted my local RAM dealer to have my XMSN fluid(and pan/filter) changed with the impression thats normal maintenance for 100k. They took my VIN to work up a quote and replied that RAM does not recommend fluid change for the life of the vehicle. I paused and thought, hmmmmmm thats interesting. I asked if the manual mentioned how long in years or miles is considered life and she said the service is not recommended ever, unless there is issues with the transmission. [BTW, we did finally get to a quote which was around $850]

Can someone point me to a maintenance manual or similar document where I can readdress this with their Tech? I do tow some (maybe 10k of the 115k so far), but most of the miles are road miles with no load.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ZF recommends a 50-75k mile interval. Any competent independent shop should be able to do it for quite a bit less than the dealer. The pan and filter is an all in one assembly.

If you're looking for an alternative to the ZF Lifeguard fluid then check out AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel Efficient ATF. You can message me if you have any questions about it.
I did a change in a BMW I owned previously and had no issues running the AMSOIL ATF.

edit:
Here's a link to the procedure. https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/8hp75-transmission-service.32306/post-489883

Reverse

Reaction score
My 2014 has 184,000 miles on it. Trans fluid never changed. Shifts like new. Just another data point.
I did get an extended warranty - that way it's on RAM if their lifetime fluid claim turns out to be BS. So far, so good.

Every 50-75K is crazy IMO; I would be on my 4th fill. Even the 6-speed in our other 2014 didn't need a change until 100,000 miles.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ZF recommends a 50-75k mile interval. Any competent independent shop should be able to do it for quite a bit less than the dealer. The pan and filter is an all in one assembly.

If you're looking for an alternative to the ZF Lifeguard fluid then check out AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel Efficient ATF. You can message me if you have any questions about it.
I did a change in a BMW I owned previously and had no issues running the AMSOIL ATF.

edit:
Here's a link to the procedure. https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/8hp75-transmission-service.32306/post-489883
ZF actually recommends a 150KM interval (technically 93K miles...but lets just call it an even 100k miles).

1628783030992.png

As for fluids, AMSOIL and Valvoline Maxlife are known to work well in ZF 8 speeds if you don't want to buy the ZF or MOPAR (repackaged ZF) fluids.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ravenol is another good fluid for our ZF 8 speeds. Lots of other makes/models that use the ZF transmissions like that fluid, and its fully synthetic. If I remember correctly, the ZF Lifeguard (and Mopar equivalent) is a semi-synthetic fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread