5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission Failed at 4000 Miles

Gpram2020

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited 5.7 Liter V8 with E-torque. Just went over 4000 miles and the transmission needs to be replaced. Received the truck as a direct factory order in August 2019. The truck has been babied the entire duration of ownership. I have not towed or pushed anything, nor done anything other than normal city and highway driving. There were no indications that the transmission was failing, until it failed. It is covered by warranty. At first, I was offered a re-manufactured transmission. I told my service manager that a re-manufactured transmission was not acceptable because the truck has only 4000 miles in two years and that it is still a new truck. The service manager reached back out to the manufacturer and they have agreed to provide a new factory transmission. This truck is my first truck from this manufacturer. I was very pleased until this issue, but now I am totally soured on purchasing another hemi in the future. I have had vehicles with hundreds of thousands of miles and never a transmission failure.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The transmission is made by ZF, the one in our trucks (8HP75) is in some other very expensive vehicles, such as the Aston Martin Vantage, BMW X5M, Alfa Romero Stelvio, Etc.

I wouldn't necessarily blame RAM for this issue, it very likely could be a vendor issue. The only way I could blame FCA is if the transmission installation involved checking the fluid level and they missed a low fluid situation, which is the most common reason for a tranny failure on new vehicles.

It sucks it happened, especially so early, but hopefully it will be a clean repair and the new tranny should last a long time.

Gpram2020

Reaction score
The transmission is made by ZF, the one in our trucks (8HP75) is in some other very expensive vehicles, such as the Aston Martin Vantage, BMW X5M, Alfa Romero Stelvio, Etc.

I wouldn't necessarily blame RAM for this issue, it very likely could be a vendor issue. The only way I could blame FCA is if the transmission installation involved checking the fluid level and they missed a low fluid situation, which is the most common reason for a tranny failure on new vehicles.

It sucks it happened, especially so early, but hopefully it will be a clean repair and the new tranny should last a long time.
Thank you for your informative reply. I don’t blame either the dealer or FCA for the transmission failure. I know that with any mechanical part, failures will occur no matter the build or quality assurance processes. The mileage and timing of the transmission failure is what has soured me because I have never had transmission problems in any other vehicle.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thank you for your informative reply. I don’t blame either the dealer or FCA for the transmission failure. I know that with any mechanical part, failures will occur no matter the build or quality assurance processes. The mileage and timing of the transmission failure is what has soured me because I have never had transmission problems in any other vehicle.

Absolutely, I would be very upset myself in your shoes. It's a rarity, we see it on forums because that's where people go for issues and talk about them, but in reality is just not common. I doubt very much you will have another tranny problem again in however long you own that vehicle.

Sometimes the factory will give you an extended warranty when a drive train component fails under warranty, RAM powertrain is 5yr/60K, but could be extended to 100K. I would ask the dealer if you will get additional assurances on the new tranny. I doubt you will need it, but always nice to have, especially as a nice bonus if you sell it privately one day.

Gpram2020

Reaction score
Absolutely, I would be very upset myself in your shoes. It's a rarity, we see it on forums because that's where people go for issues and talk about them, but in reality is just not common. I doubt very much you will have another tranny problem again in however long you own that vehicle.

Sometimes the factory will give you an extended warranty when a drive train component fails under warranty, such as 100K. I would ask the dealer if you will get additional assurances on the new tranny. I doubt you will need it, but always nice to have, especially as a nice bonus if you sell it privately one day.
Again, an informative reply. I will be sure to ask the dealer for assurances. Thanks.

KrustyKush

Reaction score
I just passed 8k miles with my 2021 Laramie that has the 8 speed trans. Not a problem. I only use this truck for towing a 5k lb Airstream travel trailer, so it is used towards the heavy side at all times.

I had a trans fail in a 2007 Ford F150 at 25k miles. Other than that, like the OP, I've never had a trans failure in any vehicle, and that's a lot of vehicles, I'm 72 y/o.

It's gonna happen now and again. OP you got a warranty, it failed early which is what warranties are for. Once you get that new trans in you will see what a lovely thing it is. Best automatic trans I've ever experienced!

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The ZF 8speed transmission has proven extremely reliable and is in MANY vehicles. To wit: there is an RV transporter called VernDiesel that has over 800K miles on his OE tranny and that's with vast majority being towing miles. Personally, I put a combined 458K miles (two vehicles) on ZF transmissions....and there are many similar stories out there.

While I'd be pissed too, for sure...In this case I'd write this one off as an anomaly, and certainly unlikely to repeat. It's mechanical...things happen. It's covered, and will be good to go...I'd bet money.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First I've heard of an 8spd failure, must be a freak incident. These transmissions are pretty bullet proof and the same trannies are used in the trackhawks and Hellcats (they are beefed up a bit obviously). Many of those owners are pushing close to 1000hp with them.

I'd push for a little extra warranty coverage if you can, but would have no hesitation keeping the truck.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow that sucks, I’ve had plenty of ZF transmissions and even my brand new Land Rover Defender has an 8 Speed ZF. They’re great transmissions but statistically, some will fail. Sorry about that. Do you even want to keep the truck at that point?

Gpram2020

Reaction score
The ZF 8speed transmission has proven extremely reliable and is in MANY vehicles. To wit: there is an RV transporter called VernDiesel that has over 800K miles on his OE tranny and that's with vast majority being towing miles. Personally, I put a combined 458K miles (two vehicles) on ZF transmissions....and there are many similar stories out there.

While I'd be pissed too, for sure...In this case I'd write this one off as an anomaly, and certainly unlikely to repeat. It's mechanical...things happen. It's covered, and will be good to go...I'd bet money.
My initial reaction was to be angry. I still am but I do understand that sometimes these things happen. As with any mechanical part, failures over so many produced are bound to happen. It does not mean that they are overall no good, but that I happened to receive that “one” that is.

Users who are viewing this thread