5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission Down shift

Shark875

Reaction score
I am noticing a clunk, or slight knock when slowing down, seems transmission is trying to get back into 1st gear when I hit the gas the "clunk or knock " is heard. anyone else have this issue. 2021 ram etorque hemi, 3.92 gears. Thanks

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I have it also and it’s been that way since it was new. Not sure that it’s actually a problem since I haven’t researched failures. If you’re under warranty, it may not be worth worrying about- if you crack a drum or something, it will be covered by warranty.

Shark875

Reaction score
Yep, I have it also and it’s been that way since it was new. Not sure that it’s actually a problem since I haven’t researched failures. If you’re under warranty, it may not be worth worrying about- if you crack a drum or something, it will be covered by warranty.
Thanks for the reply. Had. 2010 ram 1500 with the hemi and tow package and did not have this issue that why I am concerned a bit.

The_Dude

Reaction score
I found that the BW transfer case was low on fluid. I changed the fluid and put it to the correct level and the clunk has disappeared.

FirstMopar

Reaction score
I am noticing a clunk, or slight knock when slowing down, seems transmission is trying to get back into 1st gear when I hit the gas the "clunk or knock " is heard. anyone else have this issue. 2021 ram etorque hemi, 3.92 gears. Thanks
I have a 2020 with the same setup and was researching this. Mine comes and goes but today I felt it when slowing down to a stop for a red light. I get it more often when slowing down, light turns green and go to give it some gas again. I swear this thing has the weirdest transmission I have ever had. Does yours just rev if you are driving along, give it some gas - then take your foot off and hit it again fairly hard?

FirstMopar

Reaction score
I'm generally not too thrilled with the shifting of this transmission in general - maybe it's trying to be too smart. I hate the way it feels mushy when say, slowing down but not quite stopping and then having to go again. It feels like it wants to pedal and go nowhere then finally grab. It just revs if I try to give it a quick throttle stab. Just not a fan of it so far, anyone else get the same issues?

Users who are viewing this thread