5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission Doesn’t know it’s in Park so car won’t start, the dreaded concrete brake pedal……

Scr8pin

Reaction score
So I’ve been battling with this for the last couple of months, replaced battery check starter, checked alternator, and nothing could tell me why my truck wouldn’t start. It happened again this morning this time, I could not get the thing turned over again, it was the dreaded concrete brake pedal, clicking starter, get all voltages are fine. I contacted my local Ram dealership in Georgetown and immediately I realized they don’t know how to solve this problem either but she did make a comment and asked the question. Did you see Service shifter warning come up. Funny thing I actually saw two days ago what I figured out was after spending all this money and all this time I’m trying to deal with all of the charging system and everything else thinking it was the actual problem. It’s actually that the transmission doesn’t know it’s in park and it’s how I was spinning the dial to put the truck into park. I was letting the truck roll in neutral until I hit the point on my driveway not realizing that when I flipped it out of neutral but back into park , the transmission wasn’t recognizing that it was going into park so once in a while, I guess it hit that spot the transmission or the sensor misses the location and the car won’t start the next time you try to start it. And of course, you can’t have a recall if you don’t know how to fix the problem, but one thing I did do was after x amount of cycles trying to start the truck, the pedal actually releases and you can start the truck, almost like a reset. I’m starting to think that the problem that we’re all having with these trucks not starting has to do with the locator/transmission not knowing it’s in park, so changing the shifter dial and all that stuff may give you temporary relief of the problem, but I think the problem is deeper and I think it has something to do with the transmission and the sensor attached to it. Has anyone else dug deeper into this problem or has anybody actually fully solved this problem , I know for a fact if I bring it in a Dodge, they’re not gonna solve it but they’re gonna try to replace as many parts as they possibly can’t to make some bank. Another idea I have, is if you were to pull the release below the parking brake and put it in neutral and roll the truck a bit forward and then lock the truck back up. Maybe that will help the transmission find Home and allow the system to identify which position the actual shifters in so it knows it in park for example. I know this is long-winded, but this is the most frustrating problem. I think I’ve ever had with a car. Any insight or opinions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Let’s see if we can as a community fix this problem ourselves because I don’t think FCA is gonna be stepping up anytime soon to help us solve it because they’re making too much money off magically trying to fix these trucks.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The hard pedal is un-related. The pedal becomes hard when the engine isn't running due to it relying on vacuum for the power assist. No combustion, no vacuum

Scr8pin

Reaction score
The hard pedal is un-related. The pedal becomes hard when the engine isn't running due to it relying on vacuum for the power assist. No combustion, no vacuum
So just an idea, if I was to be able to depress this super hard pedal all the way down to the point where I would usually depress it to start the car the car would start then right? Also, if this was the issue, my brake pedal would be hard all the time, so why is the brake pedal only hard like this when the car is not gonna start I’m just trying to think of everything. I know right away when the car is not gonna start because the pedal cannot be depressed. If you roll the car a bit all of a sudden, sometimes the pedal releases and it can be depressed. It seems like a sensor is not making when you put the car in park so now the car doesn’t know where it is so it locks up the car like the parking brake is on.

Scr8pin

Reaction score
I’m just saying the hard pedal is not the actual problem, but a symptom of something that’s happening somewhere else

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Let me dab the blood from my eyes after reading your first post. (sorry, just kidding...kind of :ROFLMAO: ).

Let me see if I follow. You normally shift into neutral when getting ready to stop? Do you always do this, or only when parking in your driveway? Just because I'm curious, why do you do that? Your post makes it sound like this is a common problem. I definitely don't read every thread, but I don't remember reading one specifically about this problem. Maybe I just need to pay attention more LOL

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You mentioned in your second sentence that it wouldn't turn over but you had a "clicking starter".

If so, it likely has nothing to do with the brake or the gear selector. You probably have a dead spot in your starter windings.

Not sure where you are getting the impression this is a common problem.

Scr8pin

Reaction score
Let me dab the blood from my eyes after reading your first post. (sorry, just kidding...kind of :ROFLMAO: ).

Let me see if I follow. You normally shift into neutral when getting ready to stop? Do you always do this, or only when parking in your driveway? Just because I'm curious, why do you do that? Your post makes it sound like this is a common problem. I definitely don't read every thread, but I don't remember reading one specifically about this problem. Maybe I just need to pay attention more LOL
No, no, lol. Apologies for the long post as well lol. No I only put the truck into neutral Just to roll forward into a spot on my driveway (indent in driveway.] like about 6 inches. It’s the only time I ever put the truck in neutral. my issue is just like a lot of the ones on this forum with a truck that just wouldn’t start and by messing around with it this morning and realizing all of my components electronically are fine was when I wondered if anybody else had actually had the same issue where the car won’t start because potentially the shifter doesn’t recognize the car as being in park. The car totally feels like it’s locked out.

Scr8pin

Reaction score
You mentioned in your second sentence that it wouldn't turn over but you had a "clicking starter".

If so, it likely has nothing to do with the brake or the gear selector. You probably have a dead spot in your starter windings.

Not sure where you are getting the impression this is a common problem.
Lol I’m actually on my third starter and I’m only at 50,000 km, i’ve replaced everything. And I’ve been reading in a lot of forums that people wake up and their cars are dead like this and going off there advice I’ve tried all the different things swapping the battery testing the starter, checking the alternator but everything seems to be fine. Dodge checked it same thing all good. And zero codes thrown. The only reason why I know about this problem is I’ve read so much about it on these forums, but no one has had a solution up till now. I’m just completely at a loss with what could be happening, I’m just really hoping the right person sees this and has diagnosed where the actual problem is .

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, no, lol. Apologies for the long post as well lol. No I only put the truck into neutral Just to roll forward into a spot on my driveway (indent in driveway.] like about 6 inches. It’s the only time I ever put the truck in neutral. my issue is just like a lot of the ones on this forum with a truck that just wouldn’t start and by messing around with it this morning and realizing all of my components electronically are fine was when I wondered if anybody else had actually had the same issue where the car won’t start because potentially the shifter doesn’t recognize the car as being in park. The car totally feels like it’s locked out.
So my question is since you only shift into N when parking in your driveway, does this no start condition happen when the truck has been parked normally, such as when you aren't parking in your driveway? I mean, if the problem only happens when you shift to N, stop parking that way. It's kind of like the old joke:
Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Stop doing that."

Scr8pin

Reaction score
So my question is since you only shift into N when parking in your driveway, does this no start condition happen when the truck has been parked normally, such as when you aren't parking in your driveway? I mean, if the problem only happens when you shift to N, stop parking that way. It's kind of like the old joke:
Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Stop doing that."
Twice after rolling the truck in neutral into my parking spot, and it happened three times just parking in a parking lot, just stopping and putting it in park. lol I would totally stop doing that. I’ll if I knew that was the issue lol

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Twice after rolling the truck in neutral into my parking spot, and it happened three times just parking in a parking lot, just stopping and putting it in park. lol I would totally stop doing that. I’ll if I knew that was the issue lol
I mean it's an obvious question since you didn't really say it happened anywhere else. Thanks for clearing that up.

Users who are viewing this thread