5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission cooler?

Dave L

Reaction score
So I bought a used 2019 1500 w/v6 back in January. Looking at a few light weight trailers but id like to know how to tell if this truck has a transmission cooler. It came with Hitch and trailer lighting factory but no brake controller. So how can I tell if it has a Trans cooler or not. Thanks in advance

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
So I bought a used 2019 1500 w/v6 back in January. Looking at a few light weight trailers but id like to know how to tell if this truck has a transmission cooler. It came with Hitch and trailer lighting factory but no brake controller. So how can I tell if it has a Trans cooler or not. Thanks in advance
Roll underneath and start looking. There should be two lines going into the radiator. See if they head straight back towards the transmission or if one of them twists around and heads to the front.

I'm almost positive they will both head back. My 2019 does have the trailer package and the build sheet says nothing at all about a transmission cooler.

You can look up yours by plugging the vin in here. https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Edit: some more research indicates that the trans cooler is part of the AC condensor. So you have one.

Last edited:

Dave L

Reaction score
I looked up by vin using link and shows nothing about transmission cooler just engine oil cooler. It's shows the 7 pin wiring harness and class IV receiver but nothing on trans cooler. Guess I'll have to crawl under. I'm just not completely sure what I'm lookin for.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Transmission temps were never a problem (between 175-198) when towing my 6500 lb trailer with my 2015 v6 Laramie quad cab 4x2 with 3.55 rear. Towed the camper 13000 miles with that truck. Trans cooling is very good on these trucks. Only time I saw trans temp above 200 (204) was after several attempts backing into a tight campsite and that was only for a minute. Similar temps with my 2019 and the v8. Unlike other truck brands, a transmission cooler is not added as part of the tow package. There’s adequate cooling already.

Oil cooling is not as good. With the v6 engine oil temps were higher in mountainous terrain and continued to climb on uphill grades until reaching the top.

Users who are viewing this thread