5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission/Coolant Temps

Radiotrotter

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 2019 ram 1500 4x4 Limited 5.7L with a Tow package and 4 corner air suspension. (no e-torque) I am thinking of next year getting a camper, so I started watching my temps in my transmission and Coolant. My question for you all what are normal temps for the trans and coolant, without load. I mean just driving around normal. I went to pick my girls up from school and it was 27 degrees outside and the coolant mainly stayed around 210, high as 220. The trans temp was between 195 and 202. This kind of concerns me, when I start pulling a trailer in the warmer season I don't want to have a transmission failure. I read somewhere online that anything over 200 degrees in a transmission, shortens the life of the transmission. Do I need to tell the dealership, or am I just worrying too much? So any help you can give me please let me know. I have 28K on it and I also have the 100,000 miles bumper o bumper extended warranty. Max care Plan.

Thanks

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There are several threads that cover this, but essentially your temps are normal for no load. Old vehicles with 190 F systems was the norm, but modern engines are designed to run hotter for best efficiency, 200 - 220 is normal operating for coolant, but it can go a lot higher under extreme conditions before you get a warning, I think it's 240F-245F for coolant before the warning kicks in. The engine oil will get even higher than that. 230F for engine oil is within normal highs unloaded.

The normal operating temp of most trannys is 195-200F, with 200F considered ideal. The tranny temp, both on my current RAM and previous F150, 195-200F was normal unloaded operating temp. When things start to get too warm is 220F for most trannys, though 230-240 is when you will likely get a warning. Tranny coolant starts to break-down at 240F.

You will notice your trannys temps don't vary as much as the coolant or engine oil temps, they stay a lot more stable.

There is a nice setting on you dash where you see all 4 digital readings in the middle (coolant, oil temp, tranny & oil pressure).

Last edited:

Radiotrotter

Reaction score
There are several threads that cover this, but essentially your temps are normal for no load. Old vehicles with 190 F systems was the norm, but modern engines are designed to run hotter for best efficiency, 200 - 220 is normal operating for coolant, but it can go a lot higher under extreme conditions before you get a warning, I think it's 240F-245F for coolant before the warning kicks in. The engine oil will get even higher than that. 230F for engine oil is within normal highs unloaded.

The normal operating temp of most trannys is 195-200F, with 200F considered ideal. The tranny temp, both on my current RAM and previous F150, 195-200F was normal unloaded operating temp. When things start to get too warm is 220F for most trannys, though 230-240 is when you will likely get a warning. Tranny coolant starts to break-down at 240F.

You will notice your trannys temps don't vary as much as the coolant or engine oil temps, they stay a lot more stable.

There is a nice setting on you dash where you see all 4 digital readings in the middle (coolant, oil temp, tranny & oil pressure).
Thank you so much

Users who are viewing this thread