5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission bump?

Jesusisgod

Reaction score
2024 1500 5.7
Problem is like this. When driving say at 50 or 55. If I let off the gas and don't apply the brakes while slowing down a few mph. I can only assume that it's right before it starts to shift down. Then I press the gas what I guess is to fast I get a thud or a bump if you will. From what I've read it seems to just be the transmission learning my driving habits? Any advice is appreciated than n you!

Last edited:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Possible that the MDS is kicking in when you let off the gas and kicking off when you give it gas. You can test this by putting it in tow/haul mode which will disable MDS.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Possible that the MDS is kicking in when you let off the gas and kicking off when you give it gas. You can test this by putting it in tow/haul mode which will disable MDS.

Setting the max gear to 8 using the thump steering wheel switches also disables the MDS but doesn't change shift points and other variables like tow/haul mode does..

Jesusisgod

Reaction score
So pretty sure you're on to something there. I did the thing with the gears on the steering wheel. Didn't do it once. Took it off paid attention to the eco thing it'd do it almost every time. Ima let the dealer deal with it. It only has 1200 miles on it.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So pretty sure you're on to something there. I did the thing with the gears on the steering wheel. Didn't do it once. Took it off paid attention to the eco thing it'd do it almost every time. Ima let the dealer deal with it. It only has 1200 miles on it.
The dealer might have an update that they can perform. But honestly I don't think there's anything they can do. It is just the nature of how it works. But again mine's as smooth as can be, so I would suspect that there could be something wrong.

Jesusisgod

Reaction score
The dealer might have an update that they can perform. But honestly I don't think there's anything they can do. It is just the nature of how it works. But again mine's as smooth as can be, so I would suspect that there could be something wrong.
I could be over thinking it. A couple times it was a roughly rough snap. Others you can really tell the difference between it and small bumps in the road. The truck definitely doesn't have any updates other then just what a 2024 comes with stock. I was able to look it up through the ram website. I've had software fix some crazy stuff on my last 2020. It could also be sumin as simple as a loose mount. Thanks either way though. That got me a bit more information to give them when I drop it off.

Users who are viewing this thread