5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer Case Oil - is there an equivalent to Shell Spirax S2 ATF A389

NorCalxRebel

Reaction score
2021 Rebel with a Borg Warner 48-12 transfer case.

I am having a hard time sourcing Shell Spirax S2 ATF A389 and was wondering if anyone has used anything else besides Shell Spirax S2 ATF A389.

Thanks!

Jedi9

Reaction score
You can check Ravenol at Blauparts, they sell kits for differentials and transfer cases. the transfer case ATF synthetic is $33 a liter, ouch. Takes 2 liters, I would verify with them for the 48-12 recommendation. Used to be able to use the same oil for the 48-11 and 48-12 but it seems 2 different oils are specified now in the owners manual.

Nstoolman1

Reaction score
I bought 2 quarts of mopar branded fluid for the transfer case at dealership at $20 per quart. They usually have it in stock
You stole it. All the dealers around me it goes for $59 a quart. I called Valvoline and they do not show an equivalent for my 2020 to use. You should buy it and resell it for $40 a quart and make some money.

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
Even at $60/quart it is worth it.
My transfer case was underfilled from factory by 1/2 quart. It was rough switching to 4wd hi. Very rough switching to 4wd lo. And the light would blink 5-6 times before switching.
Now it's very smooth switching to any setting and fast. The light blinks twice at most
I am glad i replaced the fluid at 35k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread