5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer case being replaced at 22,000 Miles ?????

tpoony

Reaction score
Quick update. So i just got my truck back with the axle actuator replaced. It is able to switch to 4lo and 4hi successfully, but seems have to switch to N every time based on dash instructions. Is that normal.

I now have discovered other issues, would love anyone here to advise:
1. 4hi has whining between 0 to 40mph. It's very noticible. Gets worse if i turn at low speed (below 20mph)

2. 4lo cause the truck to stutter. Especailly turning at low speed. I got it to a point where if i was going 5mph consistently and turn the sterring wheel half way, the truck is stuttering / rocking back and forth as if it was stuck between gears. Honestly, i lack the words to properly describe it.

3. I now started hearing a squeal while braking at around 40mph. This seems to be happen in 2wd or 4wd.

I am definitely going to take it back to the deal. I read in some other forums the brake squeal may be a TSB requiring new rear pads and caliper bracket. But i couldn't find anyone that have referred to my problems around 4hi and 4lo. Is this a drive shaft or transfer case issue? I bought this as a CPOV at 48k miles a month ago, so it's still under Mopar Maxcare. However, since the truck had a bad axle actuator, i suspect it hadn't gone into 4hi or 4lo for a very long time, could that be a factor?

Would love any advice from anyone on this! Thank you so much!

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
The very first time I put my truck in 4Lo off-road (The truck had 4000 miles on it and was 2 months old) on a mild trail the transfer case broke & dropped 3 inches which caused both CV Axles to break, the driveshaft bent, a wiring harness ripped, and a part of the lift kit bent. I towed it to 2 different dealerships to get it resolved and both dealerships basically told me to F off because it was lifted (with the BDS kit). So then I went to corporate, went thru a customer service rep, her boss, her boss’s boss, and then filed a formal complaint/request with corporate and got assigned a case manager and even that person basically just told me to F off. I had to pay $4500 out of pocket and I didn’t have my truck for 2 full months and Ram didn’t do a single thing to help me out. Now I’m scared to death to even put my 4wd truck into 4wd for fear of having catastrophic damage like that again. And btw the lift had NOTHING to do with the damage. They couldn’t even explain why it happened. I quoted the law that said they have to be able to prove that the mod caused the damage, and they basically said 1) F off (again) and 2) go ahead and try to sue us. You won’t win. I was a diehard mopar fan and I love my truck, but I gotta admit I probably won’t buy another Fiat product after that hassle.
Oh and when I finally went to pick up the truck from the dealership (Huntington a Beach Ram) they scratched the truck in 2 places and didn’t even WASH the truck after it sat there for 2 months. I had to leave it there a whole other week for them to fix the scratches that they caused. FIAT/Ram dealerships and corporate are complete and utter garbage.

ArtieD

Reaction score
The very first time I put my truck in 4Lo off-road (The truck had 4000 miles on it and was 2 months old) on a mild trail the transfer case broke & dropped 3 inches which caused both CV Axles to break, the driveshaft bent, a wiring harness ripped, and a part of the lift kit bent. I towed it to 2 different dealerships to get it resolved and both dealerships basically told me to F off because it was lifted (with the BDS kit). So then I went to corporate, went thru a customer service rep, her boss, her boss’s boss, and then filed a formal complaint/request with corporate and got assigned a case manager and even that person basically just told me to F off. I had to pay $4500 out of pocket and I didn’t have my truck for 2 full months and Ram didn’t do a single thing to help me out. Now I’m scared to death to even put my 4wd truck into 4wd for fear of having catastrophic damage like that again. And btw the lift had NOTHING to do with the damage. They couldn’t even explain why it happened. I quoted the law that said they have to be able to prove that the mod caused the damage, and they basically said 1) F off (again) and 2) go ahead and try to sue us. You won’t win. I was a diehard mopar fan and I love my truck, but I gotta admit I probably won’t buy another Fiat product after that hassle.
Oh and when I finally went to pick up the truck from the dealership (Huntington a Beach Ram) they scratched the truck in 2 places and didn’t even WASH the truck after it sat there for 2 months. I had to leave it there a whole other week for them to fix the scratches that they caused. FIAT/Ram dealerships and corporate are complete and utter garbage.
That really sucks that is my worst nightmare that warranty would not cover that , but who put the lift in the 4" bds has a transfer case relocation bracket to realign the cv joint I thought BDS gives you a lifetime warranty on there lift ? will they pick up any cost some reimbursement would be better than none , sorry to hear that Good luck

P.s. Thats why I do all my service myself dealerships scratch your truck , sometimes do not even change the oil filter , if they do scratch it they have paint color waxes that hide it by the time you wash your truck the second time, the scratch appears

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
That really sucks that is my worst nightmare that warranty would not cover that , but who put the lift in the 4" bds has a transfer case relocation bracket to realign the cv joint I thought BDS gives you a lifetime warranty on there lift ? will they pick up any cost some reimbursement would be better than none , sorry to hear that Good luck

P.s. Thats why I do all my service myself dealerships scratch your truck , sometimes do not even change the oil filter , if they do scratch it they have paint color waxes that hide it by the time you wash your truck the second time, the scratch appears
Yeah man it was my worst nightmare too! I suppose I could’ve pursued BDS’s warranty more, but honestly I didn’t feel like it had anything to do with their lift and I was already so stressed dealing with the dealership I didn’t even want to get started on a new fight. It came to a point where I didn’t care how much it cost I just wanted my damn truck back! I will say the BDS lift actually has my CV angles looking better than stock too. And yeah, it sucked. Thankfully they actually completely repainted each panel they scratched and I made sure they matched the paint well too.

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
I just had this code come up and all the dash lights were on. I thought it had something to do with the reverse trailer controller but dealer determined it to be my front actuator. Replaced it and it fixed the problem. I could still go in 4wd and 4wd lo. I’m guessing it’s a sensor that went bad on the actuator

Users who are viewing this thread