5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tranny Leak (part 2)...

Boozygoose

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm new. Here is my thread with photos. Hopefully an admin will delete my previous post.

5 day old '19 Limited with 190 miles. Noticed a few small drips on garage floor so got under truck. I'm far from a mechanic but this is a tranny leak, right? Will call dealer in AM, but would appreciate any and all advice. Can't imagine this is good or easy to fix. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 15439625611511501626435.jpg
    15439625611511501626435.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 162
  • 15439626136091112231122.jpg
    15439626136091112231122.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 159

donsteph

Reaction score
Looks more like engine oil to me. Trans fluid would be red.

LaRamie

Reaction score
I agree with @donsteph Looks like engine oil. Think I remember seeing someone else having rear main leak also. Get it looked at asap, keep an eye on oil level. Let us know how it goes at dealer!

Boozygoose

Reaction score
Thank you both. Will call 1st AM tomorrow.

My mechanical knowledge is approaching zero. I guessed transmission as it runs straight back to drive, but it is definitely brown, like oil.

Should be a treat dealing with. Will update experience and again, thank you very much.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks like oil bud. The tranny is produced by ZF and is probably the best built item on your truck.

Boozygoose

Reaction score
Thank you. My ignorance.

At first look, I thought transmission but after some research, main seal location.

Appreciate it!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks like oil bud. The tranny is produced by ZF and is probably the best built item on your truck.

The Ferd fans who haven't even figured out that Ram and Dodge split years ago, would swear that's not true.
But you're right, ZF makes good stuff.

Bram2019

Reaction score
ZF fluid has UV dye in it from the factory for sure. If it is a tranny leak a black light will tell you.

Chill72

Reaction score
It looks like all you have is a loose oil drain plug.

Boozygoose

Reaction score
Took it in to dealer this AM. After their initial look, yes some sort of oil leak.

Told it would be tomorrow before I will hear anything definitive. On the upside gave me a loaner without any hesitation. On the downside it is an ugly, stripped newish Wrangler. Painful after the comforts of the new Limited and my previous trucks.

tazer006

Reaction score
My last 2 rams both had a drip or 2 from this exact spot when new, dealer advised it was some type of assembly lubrication as appx 50% of the trucks on the lot had some kind of moisture in this seam. Mine never dripped, but was wet a while. Had the engine oil and tranny fluid checked by the dealer since there is no dipstick, fluid levels all good!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Took it in to dealer this AM. After their initial look, yes some sort of oil leak.

Told it would be tomorrow before I will hear anything definitive. On the upside gave me a loaner without any hesitation. On the downside it is an ugly, stripped newish Wrangler. Painful after the comforts of the new Limited and my previous trucks.
Thanks for the update. Keep us posted on findings.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This forum is extremely educational. I learn something new every day.

Same... someone in a other thread mentioned that the Dealer told them the Transmission fluid was green... I was "pfft.. sure". Did some searching and yeah.. the damned stuff is green...

Users who are viewing this thread