5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Train horn

ittypomeranc

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a train horn. Not too expensive or anything to crazy just loud enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jstickman

Reaction score
Hmmm... well what did you end up with? I couldn't decide for a while but ended up going with the United Pacific 46115 kit from Air Horns of Texas. Loud as heck, but haven't got them hooked up yet. Having a hard time finding a way to mount them. Anyway, hope you had good luck.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm... well what did you end up with? I couldn't decide for a while but ended up going with the United Pacific 46115 kit from Air Horns of Texas. Loud as heck, but haven't got them hooked up yet. Having a hard time finding a way to mount them. Anyway, hope you had good luck.
Be careful where you mount them. Behind the radiator can cause it to form leaks. Of course, that was the old metal soldered ones, but it could still cause problems with the sound vibrations for anything in front of them. They didn't leave many choices for that sort of addon's for the Ram.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been thinking of adding any kind of extra horns for security after seeing the theft video of thieves just clipping the horn wires through the grill to kill the panic horn. Even just additional ones anywhere on the sides or rear would be fine for that.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have been thinking of adding any kind of extra horns for security after seeing the theft video of thieves just clipping the horn wires through the grill to kill the panic horn. Even just additional ones anywhere on the sides or rear would be fine for that.

It would be easier to fabricate a guard for the wires to prevent them from being clipped.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any recommendations on a train horn. Not too expensive or anything to crazy just loud enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are some very old threads (very, very old...like 2018 to early '19) about those on here. I don't have time to search right now, but you might be able to dig them up.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look into the Hornblasters Shocker XL Horns. Second best only to the Nathan Airchime K5LA real Train Horn.
Which is what I upgraded to. I need to transfer them over to my 2021 Laramie from the 2008 Big Horn.

I mounted a York 210 onto my 2008 Big Horn's Hemi Engine. I had a Viair 480C
on it at first. To fill my 2 Tanks (9 Gal) from 0psi to 200psi would take 23 minutes.
With the York at Idle it would do the same in 3 minutes. I also have tool ports
under the hood and in the bed tool box to run air tools. The Aluminum Air Tanks
are mounted to the frame rail on each side of the truck.

I picked up the York at a U-Pick auto parts place from a '73 Mercedes and paid
$37 for it. Yorks were found on many '75-'85 vehicles. You can also find them
on Ebay, but at a much higher price. Bought the hybrid Alternator pulley online.
I designed the brackets and had them cut out by a 1400 Watt Laser.

I need to workout the bracket design for my 2021 Ecodiesel when I get the truck.
It is going to be a chore because of all the hoses and the serpentine belt being buried.

Malodave

Attachments
  • NathanAirchimeK5LA.jpg
    NathanAirchimeK5LA.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 171
  • RAM-YorkMount1.jpg
    RAM-YorkMount1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 167
  • RAM-YorkMount2.jpg
    RAM-YorkMount2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 162
  • RAM-YorkMount3 - Copy.jpg
    RAM-YorkMount3 - Copy.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 171
  • RAM-YorkMount4.jpg
    RAM-YorkMount4.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 175
  • RAM-YorkMount5.jpg
    RAM-YorkMount5.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 177

jstickman

Reaction score
Be careful where you mount them. Behind the radiator can cause it to form leaks. Of course, that was the old metal soldered ones, but it could still cause problems with the sound vibrations for anything in front of them. They didn't leave many choices for that sort of addon's for the Ram.
Yeah, I decided to remove the spare tire and use that space. Also decided to turn the horns to face backward after a test of the system once I realized how loud they are just to hopefully not make myself deaf inside the truck! Still fabricating brackets to get the tank and compressor mounted, but the horns are mounted and ready. I work slow at my age with all my back problems, but it'll get done in the next week I think.

Users who are viewing this thread