5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailering with Traction Control and and Trailer Brake Service Warning? Advice, Thoughts?

davidlit

Reaction score
Family vacation time and I towed my 24 ft travel trailer 550 miles to South Padre Island, TX. My 2019 Laramie 1500 (3.92 gear ratio) threw service warnings the day after unhitching. The service warnings are "Service Trailer Brake Controller and Service Traction Control," the traction control light stays. I have trailered multiple times previously without issue. My truck is now at the local dealer in Brownsville and has been for two days. They have not even touched the truck to pull codes or diagnose what the issue is and don't seem too interested in moving things along despite the fact that my vacation is ending in a couple of days and I need to get my travel trailer and family back home. I've talked to a local storage place about leaving my trailer here and using my rented car to drive back home and wait for the local dealer to finally get to my truck. That involves flying back to get my truck and trailer plus another 9 hours drive time. I'm rather frustrated with this and other issues with my 1500 but that's for another post.

Here's where the advice part comes in. I'm thinking of buying a Curt Echo Bluetooth brake controller and using it for the drive home. I've used one with my wife's Infinity QX80 and it works well for what it is. From what I can gather on the Curt website, the Echo overrides the factory brake controller so it should work to engage my trailer brake. I'm not too worried about traction control being disengaged while trailering. If this set up is prudent, then I can save over $1k in travel and storage expenses plus have my local dealer who I trust work on the truck. However, there is no price on the safety of my family and if I am missing anything that could be an issue I would appreciate any input. Thanks

whetrick1

Reaction score
I understand the truck problem. Probably a software glitch but now I understand being frustrated with the dealership. The way you're describing it I personally wouldn't want them working on my truck or anything else. And I would call customer service and chew on their ear about this dealership, and the way they treated you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread