5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Tow Backup Wire Tap in the Engine Compartment

REDNECKFLIP

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Rebel and I'm wiring a set of Auxiliary LED Backup Lights. I'm wiring these to a SPDT switch (On-Off-On) and a relay. Instead of tapping into the Trailer Tow Backup Wire at the back of the truck, I want to tap into that wire in the engine compartment. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience tapping into any of the Trailer Tow wires in the engine compartment?

If I'm able to tap into the Trailer Tow Backup Wire in the engine compartment, I'll only have to run one wire back to the lights. Any help, opinions or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you, in advance.

Tomcat68

Reaction score
I have no knowledge of what your asking, but curious as to why you want to tap from the front?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Start with your owner's manual. Find the index for the underhood power distribution center. On my 2019, fuse F08 underhood is Trailer Tow Backup. Put a test lamp or voltmeter on that and have someone put it in reverse. If you're lucky, it will switch and you'll just need to stick a fuse tap in there.

If that doesn't work, you're on your own. I'm out of ideas.

REDNECKFLIP

Reaction score
Great idea! But, Richard320 you’re partially right. It would be nice to turn them on when I’m hooking up a trailer or need extra light without having to put it in reverse.

Also, I’m planning on wiring an SPDT switch with a hot wire on one input and the trailer tow backup on the other, then the output to a relay to the lights. It would be nice and less wire, if I could tap into the trailer tow backup in the engine compartment, instead of running a wire all the way from the back to the switch in the cab.

The fuse tap idea might work, except the F08 fuse is a cartridge-type fuse. I don’t know if there’s a fuse tap for that. Does anyone know?

Glenn54

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Rebel and I'm wiring a set of Auxiliary LED Backup Lights. I'm wiring these to a SPDT switch (On-Off-On) and a relay. Instead of tapping into the Trailer Tow Backup Wire at the back of the truck, I want to tap into that wire in the engine compartment. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience tapping into any of the Trailer Tow wires in the engine compartment?

If I'm able to tap into the Trailer Tow Backup Wire in the engine compartment, I'll only have to run one wire back to the lights. Any help, opinions or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you, in advance.
I would like to do the same or something similar. What brand/model of auxiliary LED backup lights did you get? If you have installed them yet, please let me know where you wired them to. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread