5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer electrical hookup

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the truck needs to be on for the trailer brake and 7 pin to be active

smfcfpcpa

Reaction score
Sands Township, Marquette County, Michigan
I am pretty sure the truck needs to be on for the trailer brake and 7 pin to be active
My truck was on and I was
My truck was on and I was using the 4 in line flat connector. My question is the outlet alway "on" or is there a switch to turn the out let on.

Mtsabo

Reaction score
There is always power being sent to the trailer plugs while the truck is on. The truck may not say trailer connected with all trailers but they will still function with lights.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Make sure the trailer plug doesn’t have any corrosion on it

Jampony17

Reaction score
If your light switch was in the auto position the lights would appear they weren't working on the trailer. Turn light switch manual on.

MICHAELRAMRAM

Reaction score
Two things. We had issues before with previous truck. Either push very hard to seat the plug (surprisingly hard) so it is fully connected, or as poster said before put lights into "on" position not auto. We found sometimes the signals would work but our aftermarket rearview camera would not draw power and connection unless the lights were on.

Mtsabo

Reaction score
Running lights should work whenever the truck lights are on regardless if the switch is in auto or on. Turn signals and brake lights always have power to them.

thetalonguy

Reaction score
I just used a 4pin trailer for the first time on mine yesterday. I didn’t do anything besides connect the harness to the plug. Lights remained in the Auto position.

Maybe the harness is corroded?

Users who are viewing this thread