5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

trailer controller boost

awaywego

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 2019 1500 Ram factory-installed brake controller offers a quick "decrease" and "boost" feature like the Tekonsha P3 controller (they have boost levels called Boost 1, Boost 2, and Boost 3)? The boost (up or down) allows quick adjustment of the gain for when conditions warrant more or less gripping power (coming off a high speed interstate and into a slow-speed parking lot, for instance). Without adjusting the gain down for slow speeds, I have found that my travel trailer brakes (3000 lb trailer) are pretty grabby at slow speed (gain too high for the speed), even though the gain is perfect at high speed. In my situation with my present Tekonsha P3, it has nothing to do with brake cleanliness or newness...it's about being able to adapt the controller to rapidly changing speed and trailer momentum (brake load) conditions.

I have been totally unable to find any info on this aspect of the Ram factory brake controller. If the Ram system doesn't have the Boost feature, I am inclined to just use my Tekonsha as a plug-in unit and mount it at the dash.

Thanks
Awaywego!

awaywego

Reaction score
I am wondering if the lack of any responses to my question on the Ram brake controller means that nobody has it installed, or that nobody knows the answer to my quesion on if it has a "boost" feature or not?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Boost is not a word I'm use to hearing with brake controllers as I've always equipped my trucks with factory controllers. The factory controllers have a slider on it that is spring controlled, much like a brake or gas pedal. You can squeeze it and make the trailer brake, even lock up. It's also how you learn to properly set the gain on your trailer. In a situation that you are referring, you could squeeze the slider to manually increase gain more than what you have preset.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't replied because I do not understand your boost term and there is definitely no boost option with the factory controller

The factory controller allows you to set up different trailers and track mileage with each. It stores the gain for each one and the different style brakes.

The factory controller seamlessly applies the trailer brakes and does not give the push and pull I felt with the aftermarket controller I have

It gives braking to the trailer in conjunction with the truck and stops like the trailer is not there, if that makes sense.

If you need to just slow down the trailer you can push the controller which is in a very convenient location.

So I guess if you need a boost, you can hit your brakes and the controller...but there never is no grabby feel at differnet speeds or weight because it works in unison with the truck

Hope that answers your question.

My opinion, the factory controller makes the truck and trailer a pair.

awaywego

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.....good to get some real-life feedback!

FWIW, Tekonsha's "boost" feature is a button you can touch on the unit to quickly change the voltage up or down (boost 1, boost 2, or boost 3) to the trailer brakes for unique situations (e.g., coming off a highway and now in slow stop-and-go traffic where the brakes might be grabby otherwise) without going through the whole initial setup again to adjust the proper gain for that situation. It's just a quick way to tweak gain. It sounds like the Ram controller factors in the speed and adjusts gain to accommodate it, right Devildodge?

Thanks!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.....good to get some real-life feedback!

FWIW, Tekonsha's "boost" feature is a button you can touch on the unit to quickly change the voltage up or down (boost 1, boost 2, or boost 3) to the trailer brakes for unique situations (e.g., coming off a highway and now in slow stop-and-go traffic where the brakes might be grabby otherwise) without going through the whole initial setup again to adjust the proper gain for that situation. It's just a quick way to tweak gain. It sounds like the Ram controller factors in the speed and adjusts gain to accommodate it, right Devildodge?

Thanks!
Yes, then I would say boost is exactly what the truck does automatically.

I am very impressed with mine. Stopping and starting is very smooth. No push pull at all. And it works well at low speeds, taking just a little from the brakes. You can watch the display and see just how much it is giving.

And with the ESC, I feel the integrated trailer brake controller helps with the anti sway, etc.

Good luck with your decision, and keep us posted.

slimchance

Reaction score
the Prodigy brake controller that i used in my older trks had a setting for "normal" and a "boost 1" and a "boost 2" setting .... in theory it worked something like this .... it would sense how quickly and how hard you applied the brakes and adjust ( higher or lower) and and it would also sense how long you applied the brakes .... it is a little hard for me to explain but it did work very well and i would normally keep it on "boost 1" ... as i would begin braking and approach a traffic light it would slowly increase braking and you could feel the trailer beginning to pull the trk ... use them for several yrs until my tundra (2017 i think) came with a factory brake controller ... i miss the "boost" settings

mike12193

Reaction score
I have practically brand new Tekonsha P3 brake controller if you are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awaywego

Reaction score
Is there any reason I couldn't plug in my Tekonsha P3 and just keep using it as I always have (on my RAV4 right now), and not even buy the RAM factory brake controller? Not sure where the controller plug-in would be....hopefully somewhere under the dashboard, with no need to take the dashboard out to find it!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To get the facts straight. You have a Ram without the factory controller and you have the P3. Or are you getting Ram and trying to decide if the controller is something you need.

If you have the truck without the controller use the P3(there are posts about how to hook them up...if I get a chance I will link them)

If you do not have the truck, and you found one you want without the controller...same as above.

If you are still looking, my personal opinion is to get the factory controller. But that is just an opinion.

awaywego

Reaction score
thanks for the location of the plugs. I don't have a Ram *yet* but I own a P3 controller from another vehicle. I am familiar with how to operate the P3 and I like it's flexibility to adapt to speed and load situations on a whim. And since I already own the P3, I am wondering why I should spend more money on a factory Ram controller if it performs no different than the P3? ( if in fact the Ram controller, (after initial voltge setup for a given trailer weight) truly applies *just the right amount* of trailer brake voltage by factoring speed and brake application rate. I guess I need to tow my trailer with a new Ram demo (with a controller) and see if it behaves the same as my P3, or perhaps even better.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think you are at the same point as the 3.21 vs 3.92 debates.

It boils down to personal preference and driving style.

If you are comfortable with the P3 by all means use it.

But, keep in mind the Ram has over 100 safety features that make towing easier and the factory controller plays a big role in the trailer anti sway part of the ESC.

But yes...I would not fret over the factory controller if you like the P3 and the install is pretty simple.

awaywego

Reaction score
That RAM anti-sway controller does that by elecronically applying the truck brakes to the side that needs it, right? Seems like all that "hidden" truck braking to prevent sway would reduce gas mileage compared to a friction-type anti sway bar at the hitch, like a Curt or such. Or have I misunderstood how RAM's build-in antisway works?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That RAM anti-sway controller does that by elecronically applying the truck brakes to the side that needs it, right? Seems like all that "hidden" truck braking to prevent sway would reduce gas mileage compared to a friction-type anti sway bar at the hitch, like a Curt or such. Or have I misunderstood how RAM's build-in antisway works?
This is true also

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score

There is "intelligence" that comes into play between the vehicle and trailer to correct sway. My last F150 had it also I can tell you for certain that it saved our butts one day. There is an odd area on 81 heading up to Pulaski in NY, the bridge rises and curves at the same time. The first time, the truck saved our butts, after, we knew to take it easy. That situation alone would never make me not get a factory controller again.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Be careful, the "Boost" settings on the P3 do NOT change the Gain (total allowed voltage) on the trailer brakes, the Boost setting determines the ramp up of the application of the trailer brakes in RELATION to the truck brake application, instead of a direct 1 to 1 correlation between truck braking and trailer braking. It works like this:

No Boot: Self explanatory, the gain setting is what it is and that's that. The Trailer Brake application starts at 1% and ramps up accordingly as more deceleration is detected. (The Tekonsha P3 is an inertia controller)

Boost 1: This is for when the truck weighs more than the trailer being pulled. It allows more truck braking application at first so that the trailer does not drag the truck and lock up the brakes. It eases into the trailer brakes more slowly. (Relative to the other boost levels). It starts out at 13% brake application and then ramps up as braking increases.

Boost 2: This is for when the truck and trailer weigh close to the same amount. This ramps up at a medium level in comparison to the other two boost levels, starting at 25% braking force.

Boost 3: This is for when the trailer weighs more than the truck does. This ramps up the quickest, however still starts at 25% braking application.

Here's the Tekonsha P3 manual for reference. The Boost settings start on Page 5
http://www.hiddenhitch.com/content/downloads/installation/N39526.pdf

Reaction score
I've got the ram factory brake controller, assuming that was the original question, and one can increase and decrease the bias on the brakes by pushing the buttons below the manual brake control paddles.
The bias change is displayed on the instrument cluster, and I've got mine set to 10%+

Users who are viewing this thread